Post-Game Talk: #16| New York Islanders @ Pittsburgh Penguins | February 18th | 7:00 PM | F/L 4-1

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
PIT doesn't look that obvious to me. Reputation based on past success and three big names but they're not a very good hockey team. If Blackwood is lights out and young stars continue to progress, NJ could be the bigger threat.

That's fair. I do agree that NJD look good. But it's not like Pittsburgh's success is that 'past'. They finished 5th in the conference last year (ahead of us) and 18 points ahead of the Devils (which could have grown if the season finished).

Push comes to shove, I'll take that veteran team continuing to put up wins before the Devils do a 180 and figure out how to win over the course of a full season. If this were a 3-year bet, then I'd take NJD given the trends.

If I gave you odds right now, you would expect them to be in Pittsburgh's favor. The only thing I'd guard against is Hextall blowing it up sooner than later.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
No way for Rags, they are dumpster fire.

I will say Devils aren't out of the conversation.
Devils are not out of the conversation. A professional coach will do that. But we're probably seeing recency bias at work. They just destroyed one of the worst teams in the league. Go back 2 weeks to their previous game and you wouldn't have given them a second look. 3 of their 5 wins are against Rangers and Buffalo. Good on them, but I expect all those remaining games against the top teams will catch up to them.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
The size of the boom box was directly correlated to your status in the community.

Still remember my first cheapo boombox. I recall Eddy Grant’s “Electric Avenue” was on rotation all summer long. That song is still dope!

Oh yeah, the key to tonight’s game is that the Islanders need to score more than Pittsburgh.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
That's fair. I do agree that NJD look good. But it's not like Pittsburgh's success is that 'past'. They finished 5th in the conference last year (ahead of us) and 18 points ahead of the Devils (which could have grown if the season finished).

Push comes to shove, I'll take that veteran team continuing to put up wins before the Devils do a 180 and figure out how to win over the course of a full season. If this were a 3-year bet, then I'd take NJD given the trends.

If I gave you odds right now, you would expect them to be in Pittsburgh's favor. The only thing I'd guard against is Hextall blowing it up sooner than later.
If it comes down to goaltending for the 4th spot, I'm not sure Jarry/DeSmith will carry the Pens. I'd give the Devils a slight advantage with Blackwood.

Reactions: 13th Floor

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
If it comes down to goaltending for the 4th spot, I'm not sure Jarry/DeSmith will carry the Pens. I'd give the Devils a slight advantage with Blackwood.

Without any factual or statistical analysis to back up the following statement... Pittsburgh does have the feel of a team that has ran its course.

But admittedly I’ve been wrong before (Caps Stanley Cup year). Also with new management maybe they can catch a spark still.

Last edited:

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Still remember my first cheapo boombox. I recall Eddy Grant’s “Electric Avenue” was on rotation all summer long. That song is still dope!

Oh yeah, the key to tonight’s game is that the Islanders need to score more than Pittsburgh.
Did a job on an Electric Avenue a few years ago. During the kickoff meeting, I asked if we were going to rock down to Electric Avenue. The older folks got a laugh, the youngins had no idea what I was talking about.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Focus people...HOCKEY...FOCUS

Hockey you say? No problem... I play this every opening day of the season:

Pretty sure the video still dates AFTER the Leafs won their last cup. It’s in color after all.

Oh yeah, Isles need to skate well to play well.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
5-3 Isles. we go up early, go into our dreaded defensive shell early, and score an empty netter.

i like the Devs to be a surprise, and with Blackwood playing well, i wouldn't be surprised. the Pens are still a threat, if they can figure out their putrid goaltending dilemma. apparently, DeSmith was the heir apparent, before Jarry stole the spotlight.

going to stay positive, and say that Sorokin, Dobson, and Wahlstrom, all improve as the season goes on. their inexperience may hurt us down the stretch, when the going gets tough, but we have the goods to make it in. from there....

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
How about 80s beer commercials
Since this GDT has gone completely off the rails and speaking of 80's beer commercials........

For years I tried desperately to find a Lone Star beer commercial on YouTube that was running in TX in the early 80s when I was down there working on oil rigs.

It was a spoof of the famous final scene of Casablanca, "If you don't get on that plane you'll regret it. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life."

The ad was the same kind of scene, foggy, but this time with a Lone Star beer delivery guy and his sweetheart. She's pleading with him not to go and his line is "honey, if I don't get out there and deliver "the national beer of Texas" (the Lone Star slogan), we'll regret it, maybe not today and maybe not tomorrow but for sure by payday."

"but for sure by payday." Cracked me up. I thought it was one of the best commercials I've ever seen at the time. Still do.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
The 80s are never OT on this board. That was LI's decade. We were winning Cups. The economy was booming like crazy. LIers were famous in music, comedy, acting.... And the entire country adopted our hair styles. :laugh:

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Feels like we left a point on the table the last time we played them. Would like to see better bench management if we are up late to close them out. HA-I write this and I have never won a Jack Adams Award or two..... All joking aside, play a complete 60 minutes please!!!

LGI

more like a 3-point swing had they not allowed Pittsburgh to tie in the final seconds of a victory.

Separation from 5th place could have been 7 points instead of 4

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Would you rather discuss giving Ho Sang another chance? :sarcasm:

Jokes aside, if a GDT if full of off topic stuff, all must be well in Islander land so I'm cool with it.

Now, hit me with some Talking Heads!

A mix of this and just looking forward to the game itself (yet it’s still hours away). I personally love hockey games on days that it snows. Reminds me of the Western Canadian trips the Isles always seemed to make around this time of year. As a kid I was amazed anyplace could get as cold as Winnipeg.

But pretty much what is there specifically to focus on for tonight. Can’t see the lineup changing at all. Maybe Trotz will throw us a bone (for conversation sake) and start Sorokin out of order or Komarov (yikes).

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The 80s are never OT on this board. That was LI's decade. We were winning Cups. The economy was booming like crazy. LIers were famous in music, comedy, acting.... And the entire country adopted our hair styles. :laugh:
Amy Fisher and Joey Buttafuoco.

Yeah the 80s were a great time on the Island.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad