Post-Game Talk: #16| New York Islanders @ Pittsburgh Penguins | February 18th | 7:00 PM | F/L 4-1

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
I’m disappointed in Barry
You want to publicly call a player out? Has he watched Nelson all year, Leddy? And what was Dobson doing on the goal against?
I’d like to see a different angle on the Bellows play, was it his man or Pelech’s?
And Mayfield is good for 2-3 head scratchers a game

Seniority matters.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
The most important piece of coaching is knowing the type of coaching each player requires. Maybe Barry knows that is the best way to get something out of Kieffer.

He did have an ex-NHL player father that played in a time when coaches did not use "kid gloves" when reprimanding players for bad play.

Just a thought...

Reactions: BarzyClub

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
When I heard that Bellows was to play, my first thoughts were like "there are no injuries (apparently), we are on a winning streak, so you better have a heck of a game, or else Trotz will be really angry". He was not particularly bad, more like average, and didn't use the opportunity to excel. So, Trotz' ire is understandable, but why go public?

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
then who sits?

I think we have 9 automatic PP players:

Barzal
Lee
Nelson
Eberle
JGP
Bailey
Dobson
Pulock
Leddy

Then you have Beau and Wally.

Personally, I want a bumper option on both PP units because I think that's our biggest weakness. Our usual PP is set up between the point and the half wall but it often stalls out when they protect the cross ice pass to the other half wall. When our 1st unit doesn't work well, this is what happens: Dobson and Barzal play catch and when Barzy has the puck, they block the cross ice pass to Pulock. When Dobson has the puck they shade to Pulock and give him the pass to Barzy. If Lee is under the goal line, the D just collapses and prevents any cross ice pass and Lee is forced to give it back to Barzal.

Given our lack of shooters, I want the bumper to give us more quick passing opportunities. Barzy can hit the bumper who can give it back to Dobson for a shot with space or a quick pass to Pulock to open up his shot because they need to collapse on the bumper. Or, the bumper gives it to someone under the goal line to Lee for a quick pass to Pulock or if the lane opens up, up top to Dobson. Or Barzy passes it under the goal line to Lee for a quick pass to the bumper in the slot.

It just creates a whole host of options instead of perimeter passing and shots with screens. JGP is the best bumper we have and I want to see him there. It would be great if someone like Eberle could emerge as a bumper. He has the offensive instincts I just don't know if he can take the abuse. Then the two units can mirror each other.

Barzy/Bailey on the half wall as our best passers
Dobson/Leddy at the point as our main defenseman puck handlers (one's a lot better than the other lol)
Lee/Nelson the down low guys for screens, tips, and plays under the goal line
JGP/Eberle as the bumper or can peel off to give Bailey/Barzal another option down low if Nelson/Lee are in front of the net
Pulock and either Beau/Wally as the shot on the other half wall

The other option for unit 2 is Nelson at the bumper. He's the better player for it but the issue is he's a bigger net front presence. Then I think you need Wally in front of the net because neither Eberle or Beau can do that. That would put Eberle or Beau on the other half wall, hence the possibility that Beau is the odd man out.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
You guys expecting Trotz to treat established veterans the same as a guy trying to break into the league are nuts. He's pushing the youngsters, helping them evolve as players. Leo Komarov isn't evolving into anything other than what he already is at this point. Having a report with the veterans also helps trust they know what's wrong with their game and that they know how to get out of the funks they go into. They earned their spots, Bellows hasn't.

Overall I thought the Islanders played pretty well tonight. A couple of miscues and a dangerous offensive team buried them. On the offensive side I thought they were more willing to throw pucks on net than we've seen in the past, but were less willing to go get the rebounds. The Penguins always have that guy driving to the slot from the blue line, and it creates a lot of opportunities for them. I wish the Islanders do more of that instead of the standing in areas waiting for a pass in the offensive zone.

Reactions: MJF

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
I think we have 9 automatic PP players:

Barzal
Lee
Nelson
Eberle
JGP
Bailey
Dobson
Pulock
Leddy
Leddy is not an automatic on the PP. He lost his place for a period of time last season when only one defenseman was used on the 2 different waves (Toews and Pulock) with 4 forwards. Not impossible that we see it again even if we have to separate Pulock and Dobson.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
You guys expecting Trotz to treat established veterans the same as a guy trying to break into the league are nuts. He's pushing the youngsters, helping them evolve as players. Leo Komarov isn't evolving into anything other than what he already is at this point. Having a report with the veterans also helps trust they know what's wrong with their game and that they know how to get out of the funks they go into. They earned their spots, Bellows hasn't.

Overall I thought the Islanders played pretty well tonight. A couple of miscues and a dangerous offensive team buried them. On the offensive side I thought they were more willing to throw pucks on net than we've seen in the past, but were less willing to go get the rebounds. The Penguins always have that guy driving to the slot from the blue line, and it creates a lot of opportunities for them. I wish the Islanders do more of that instead of the standing in areas waiting for a pass in the offensive zone.
But Trotz keeps playing Komarov and he stinks and Trotz won’t say anything bad about him.

Reactions: 12Dog

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
But Trotz keeps playing Komarov and he stinks and Trotz won’t say anything bad about him.
Clearly not everyone agrees with your assessment of Komarov, in particular and most importantly, BT.

And, of course, you don't know if Barry has criticised him or not. All you know is that you haven't been told.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Leddy is not an automatic on the PP. He lost his place for a period of time last season when only one defenseman was used on the 2 different waves (Toews and Pulock) with 4 forwards. Not impossible that we see it again even if we have to separate Pulock and Dobson.

You are right that he's not automatic and it's another option. I do get a bit fearful of transition in getting into the zone if Pulock is on a PP by himself without Barzal or Leddy, but it could work.

In that case then I think you put Pulock in Leddy's spot on PP2 and then you put Beau/Wally in Pulock's spot on PP1 and the other one where they would have slotted in PP2.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
I thought they looked better in stretches of this game than they did in the last two periods of the second Buffalo game. They paid dearly for their mistakes and failure to convert chances. Probably value in keeping Wahlstrom in the line up. Bellows running out of time. He was part of the problem on goal one.

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Clearly not everyone agrees with your assessment of Komarov, in particular and most importantly, BT.

And, of course, you don't know if Barry has criticised him or not. All you know is that you haven't been told.
I forgot the sarcasm emoji.

The team waived Leo for a 2nd time to get him on the taxi squad last week and he wasn’t claimed again. Frankly that’s all the criticism a veteran player should need.

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013

its about the public criticism. What happens behind closed doors is different

TMI

Dec 15, 2019
There was a message within the message that we have no hope of getting. Not a chance in hell Trotz threw in the part about meetings and practices. There was obviously something specific BT was looking for from Bellows and didn't get it. Not sure it's how I would have handled it, but I'm not a HOF coach.

Real curious to see what happens with him now.. to me, how long he sits (IF he sits) will show just how upset Trotz is with him..

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
There was a message within the message that we have no hope of getting. Not a chance in hell Trotz threw in the part about meetings and practices. There was obviously something specific BT was looking for from Bellows and didn't get it. Not sure it's how I would have handled it, but I'm not a HOF coach.

Real curious to see what happens with him now.. to me, how long he sits (IF he sits) will show just how upset Trotz is with him..
You are probably right there. The key message was clear enough. Wahlstrom and MDC came in and did well, Bellows did not in Trotz's analysis. I am not going to second guess him, he's a HOF coach, he sees things we do not have the privilege seeing. The fact he was sat down after what I thought was good play but no points to show for it, tells me something he is doing does not meet to Trotz's standard. Going to give the coach the benefit of doubt. But for now it looks like Wahlstrom and MDC have moved a notch above Bellows.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I don't know...guess my eyes are failing me. I saw a bonehead play by Nelson leading to a goal. A stupid penalty by Mayfield. Dobson puck watching. Bellows didn't stand out as a player who deserved the ire. He looks like he's hustling to me, just has to learn more nuances to the system and make better decisions. Hard to say for sure watching it on TV though. Can't see all of the backchecking happening.

Reactions: buud

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad