GDT: #16| New York Islanders @ Florida Panthers | November 10th | 7:00 PM | F/L 4-2

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
I get the mindset of going through a mini rebuild, but for f***s sake can they get rid of the useless vets already???

I can live with watching Pelech and Beau f*** up, but I can't stand watching someone like Hickey anymore.

Also, I'm done with Leddy...

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
We all agree Kuhnhackl is not going to be a difference maker, but the problem with the forwards is Beauvillier. We have nobody else to fill a second line LW spot unless someone is brought up from BPT. As I said earlier no matter where you put Beauvillier it is ruining the line. Does not matter whether it is Kuhnhackl or Beau, either way it is killing the line. I just do understand what is going on with Beauvillier. This should be the year where he was ready to take off. Instead he has regressed and regressed BADLY.

He didn't ruin anything tonight. He played 8:39, so he's not impacting anything. There's an over exaggeration about Beauvillier on the boards right now. He's struggling, but he's not doing anything to actively hurt the team. Barzal wasn't any more noticeable tonight with Lee and Bailey. Eberle stood out more that he was the main puck carrier on his own line. Not being allowed to play pond hockey is hurting the youngsters.

Reactions: MattMartin

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Panthers fan coming in peace. This isn't a bad loss and the Panthers aren't bad. Don't let their record before Luongo's return fool you. They're averaging 3.23 goals of offense a game. Dadonov is on a 10-game point streak and Hoffman is on an 11-game point streak. Six players with at least 11 points. About 4 games in hand on every team in the league. Reimer and Hutchison are the only reasons they don't have substantially more points in the standings. Just look at their numbers vs. Roberto thus far. It's startling.

I agree with you. They're a solid team, most likely better than our own top to bottom on paper.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Florida is not terrible. they are tough when they have Luongo in net.

i like the Lee-Barzal-Bailey line. i think Trotz likes to have balanced lines and roll them, but this is going to be our go-to line, IMO. i like that Barzal is shooting more. and, to me, he seemed more comfortable, made better decisions. Lehner was solid, but i go with Greiss right now. Mayfield is playing better than i hoped. Pelech and Pulock will be given time to adjust. they are both getting tougher assignments than last year, so i doubt they will have great statistical seasons. Boychuk is solid but age is starting to affect him.

disappointed in Beau and Eberle. i know they can be better, but i can see Ebs getting shipped out, and Beau settling in on the 3rd line, with 2nd unit PP and PK assignments.

still think we can be tougher in our own paint. given that we have lots of smallish, mobile D ready to move up, i think we need another Boychuk type (younger, obviously).

need to be more consistent, get faster and tougher.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
The next six games aren't easy since there are very few bad teams in the league, but this is one of the least difficult stretches in the schedule. If they are wild card contenders they should win four of them.

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
Need Matty Marts back soon...heal up "its just a different team with #17" This is a good squad and all and the team can win..not perfect but what team is.
#17 can change momentum at will..something rubs off him and players are different with him, teams playing against the isles are different also when he is in the lineup.

Go Islanders

Last edited:

Keyserfrans

Feb 14, 2015
The start this team had was terrific and got us (some of us) believing.
They were bound to have some bad games and, we can affort it, and still be relevant-

They need to get going again, they have shown us they have more than the last 2 games

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Time for Toews and Sbisa to replace Pelech. He is liability with no offensive upside or physicality to his game.

There is no excuse for the PP. I knew we would see 51 there at some point but is 15 really an acceptable 2nd unit player?

Overall team D has been better with a healthy Czikas and some actual NHLers in the bottom 6 but if you can't score on the PP the result is the same.

Andrew Ladd - wow, what a useless player.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I'm starting to wonder if Barzal is dumb. He doesn't seem to understand the concept of a ticking clock.

No, what's happening this year is that NHL players have learned NOT to chase him when he is along the boards with pucks. They are playing off him so he can;t spin away and create space. The linemates are not going to open spaces so he ends up holding the puck in unproductive areas. Notice that he is still on the outside a lot in the offensive zone with space but no real path. Like an NBA team packing it in in the paint to keep the driver having to shoot from outside.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
No, what's happening this year is that NHL players have learned NOT to chase him when he is along the boards with pucks. They are playing off him so he can;t spin away and create space. The linemates are not going to open spaces so he ends up holding the puck in unproductive areas. Notice that he is still on the outside a lot in the offensive zone with space but no real path. Like an NBA team packing it in in the paint to keep the driver having to shoot from outside.

Well then he and the others have to just take hard shots at the goalie and hope for a rebound near the net. This hoping for a wide open man in front of the goalie isn't happening this year.- especially when no one is moving. The standard play this year seem to be five or six passes that waste time and then a desperate, and predictable, low percentage slapshot from Pulock or someone else. We've had more luck when both teams are full strength or when the Isles are shorthanded and not trying to creat the perfect shot.

Last edited:

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Pp has been killing this team especially the last 2 games. Not sure what Towes has left to prove at Bridgeport anymore. He should be with the big club.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
Panthers fan coming in peace. This isn't a bad loss and the Panthers aren't bad. Don't let their record before Luongo's return fool you. They're averaging 3.23 goals of offense a game. Dadonov is on a 10-game point streak and Hoffman is on an 11-game point streak. Six players with at least 11 points. About 4 games in hand on every team in the league. Reimer and Hutchison are the only reasons they don't have substantially more points in the standings. Just look at their numbers vs. Roberto thus far. It's startling.

I was looking at the Panthers' jerseys last night and was wishing they'd go back to their originals! The current ones aren't bad but the originals just seemed pretty well-done already, so I don't think they needed to change.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
PP is what’s losing us games. I’m not finding pelech as bad as some here. Think he still has upside. Makes some bad decisions but he’s talented

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
PP is what’s losing us games. I’m not finding pelech as bad as some here. Think he still has upside. Makes some bad decisions but he’s talented
Did you watch the game last night? He cost us two points singlehandedly. The only -2 on the team (and both goals were his fault), plus he took the penalty that led to the third goal on a terrible unforced giveaway in the neutral zone. He was putrid, like beyond awful last night.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Did you watch the game last night? He cost us two points singlehandedly. The only -2 on the team (and both goals were his fault), plus he took the penalty that led to the third goal on a terrible unforced giveaway in the neutral zone. He was putrid, like beyond awful last night.

Thought the penalty was nonsense especially bc he was getting hooked right before. Last night was bad for sure

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
I was looking at the Panthers' jerseys last night and was wishing they'd go back to their originals! The current ones aren't bad but the originals just seemed pretty well-done already, so I don't think they needed to change.

Preach!

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Pp has been killing this team especially the last 2 games. Not sure what Towes has left to prove at Bridgeport anymore. He should be with the big club.
Unless you have real shooter like Ovechkin or Matthews or Laine, you have to have someone in the slot, screening, deflecting, causing trouble. Nobody is going there. We need to put someone there who will take a beating to stay - Cizikas, Clutterbuck, Komarov, someone like that.

152 passes around the outside and then a shot from the point with no screen isn't going to get the desired results.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
agreed, the PP is stinky. i think Trotz needs to make 2 balanced PP's, and let them battle it out for primo time. Bailey and Barzal should be seperated, too much passing with them on the same unit.
there is no urgency on our PP, and this might create some

* signifies changes, late this year & early next year.

Barzal-Lee-Eberle(Wahlstrom*)(passer/net presence/shooter)
Leddy-Boychuk(Dobson*)

- Barzal on the right, feeding Boychuk

Nelson(Bellows*)-Ladd/CBuck-Bailey (shooter/net presence/passer)
Pelech(Toews*)-Pulock

-Bailey on the right, feeding Pulock

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
It’s disappointing to miss out on all four points down in Florida, but clearly this team needs to learn puck management the hard way.

They control their own destiny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad