16/17 Pavel Datsyuk Watch

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
Wish he was still here. While he may not have the speed, he can do some major damage with his playmaking skills, passing and back checking.

But at the same time, watching how Datsyuk blew his knee during WC, maybe he knew his body wasn't gonna hold up for long certainly not at NHL level.

Right now, wishing him the best in Russia.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Have to disagree about Feds. He left in summer if '03, literally one season before the lock-out. Post-lockout Red Wings would have of had to move on due to the new salary structure from the CBA.

Yeah they totally knew that would happen at that time

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I love Pavel and I know I'm in the minority, but I look at these highlights and think of him not being on the team and the only thing that comes to mind is "meh"

I was like 12 when the Fed's drama went down so I didn't fully understand the gravity of the situation so both of the Russians remain interchangeably in my top 4 red wings that I've watched.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
I love Pavel and I know I'm in the minority, but I look at these highlights and think of him not being on the team and the only thing that comes to mind is "meh"

I think that in a league that hits he'd have gotten rubbed out about three different times in that video sequence.

I was like 12 when the Fed's drama went down so I didn't fully understand the gravity of the situation so both of the Russians remain interchangeably in my top 4 red wings that I've watched.

A on-ice entertainers they were top notch. Certainly two of the most individually impressive players ever.

As off-ice assets one was a tool pretty much from day one and the other screwed the team on his way out the door.

The further we get away from remembering the latter the easier it is to emphasize the former.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
One of them stiffed Detroit with a huge cap hit after literally quitting on the team at the end of the previous season. The other didn't.

Neither one really pushes my 'give a ****' meter at all, and I think both had good, valid reasons for bailing. But it seems silly to excuse Datsyuk and blast Fedorov, especially when I don't recall Fedorov having tanked it in his last games with the team, just prior to going and playing harder elsewhere.

if anything Fedorov was playing harder then anyone else. Dats checked out when he knew he was leaving. There is a reason he is playing better in Russia and was franzen like last year.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
if anything Fedorov was playing harder then anyone else. Dats checked out when he knew he was leaving. There is a reason he is playing better in Russia and was franzen like last year.

People won't like this analogy, but I think it's the same thing as Barry and Calvin with the Lions. Had Holland been more serious about winning, I don't think Datsyuk leaves. Datsyuk left a bubble team and while he had a contract, oh well - teams can get out of contracts so players find ways as well.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
There is a reason he is playing better in Russia and was franzen like last year.

Because the KHL is not even close to the NHL in terms of skill level and they have European rinks which allow him more freedom?

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008

If Datsyuk checked out than what was Zetterberg doing? He was ****ing 37 and had by far the highest ppg rate on the team. Datsyuk didn't check out, his body has just been breaking down. He played on one ankle.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

he's 11th on his own team in scoring so far this year in the KHL :laugh:

granted part of that is games played but even if you go by points per game he's in 7th(and extremely far behind the top couple)

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I am really happy he left, it really underscore what a mediocre to horrible job Holland is doing. Sports talk radio and fans can complain all day long but when someone of Daytsuk's skill and integrity walks away from a contract on a team where hall of famer's typically retire a wing it lends a lot more credibility to the argument. I am glad Daytsuk sacrificed some of his legacy to make that statement.

And what does he do in response? Trades down in the draft so he could sign a mediocre player to a bad contract.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I think that in a league that hits he'd have gotten rubbed out about three different times in that video sequence.

A on-ice entertainers they were top notch. Certainly two of the most individually impressive players ever.

As off-ice assets one was a tool pretty much from day one and the other screwed the team on his way out the door.

The further we get away from remembering the latter the easier it is to emphasize the former.

Speak for yourself. Some of us do not hold petty grudge's over entertainers choosing a different lifestyle.

I am really happy he left, it really underscore what a mediocre to horrible job Holland is doing. Sports talk radio and fans can complain all day long but when someone of Daytsuk's skill and integrity walks away from a contract on a team where hall of famer's typically retire a wing it lends a lot more credibility to the argument. I am glad Daytsuk sacrificed some of his legacy to make that statement.

And what does he do in response? Trades down in the draft so he could sign a mediocre player to a bad contract.

Frans Nielsen is NOT a mediocre player.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Anyone been watching? SKA has been flat out dominant

I was actually just looking at the stats earlier and noticed he was only 8th in team scoring. I know he missed some games, but even then there were like a handful of guys who had a better p/g then him.

I guess that means his heart is America and he gave up on his team, yeah? Mother 'Merica.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Good for Pav, I guess. For a guy who always wanted to go back to play, that's not a bad farewell tour. Sucks that we couldn't give him the same in Detroit.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Just so you guys/gals know he hasn't played since the middle of March. I am sure it was still a lot of fun, but it wasn't like he suited up in the finals over there. It is like guys we lost in the second round of cup runs.

Which also helps highlight just how stacked SKA are. This is like winning the German Bundesliga with Bayern Munich. It was really an expectation this year, or Tiger versus the field during his prime as another example...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad