16/17 Pavel Datsyuk Watch

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yeah. Sweet seeing Ilya Kovalchuk so lively with Dats though. That's the team to beat this season, right?

Yeah...

they have

C Pavel Datsyuk
W Ilya Kovalchuk
W Steve Moses (former KHL best goalscorer, did some kind of 1-season record?)
C Vadim Chipachov (great late-bloomer all-around center)
W Evgeny Dadonov (Dadonov - Chipachov - Panarin was best Russian line at WHC)
W Sergei Plotnikov, ex-Penguins/Arizona
W Viktor Tikhonov, ex-Blackhawks/Arizona
C Jarno Koskiranta, probably best Finnish defensive Center at Europe
W Alexander Khochlachev, Bruins ex-prospect

RD Slava Voynov, ex-LA Kings, Would be 1st pair RH Defenceman at Red Wings...
LD Anton Belov, ex-Oiler

G Mikko Koskinen (Finnish, WHC silver medalist starter from last WHC)

+some good KHL-level core/depth Russians.

Imo, they have the best player of KHL (Datsyuk), best Center core in KHL (both offensively and defensively, Datsyuk-Chipachov-Koskiranta), best defenceman (Voynov) and one of the best goaltenders in Koskinen.

Coach really has to be bad if this team won't work. :D

Thye used these lines in season opener:

Plotnikov - Datsyuk - Kovalchuk (Plotnikov is the piano-puller...)
Dadonov - Chipachov - Gusev
Ketov - Koskiranta - Tikhonov
Khochlachev - Prohorkin - Moses (offensive line, but plays less)

Last edited:

CKJohn

Apr 23, 2007
Am I the only one that feels a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach seeing him in another uniform, knowing that he'll never wear Red again.

Sergei DRW

Nov 17, 2010
Am I the only one that feels a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach seeing him in another uniform, knowing that he'll never wear Red again.

Relax, it is the "swan song" of his career.
He is 38, and will not produce on the level most Red Wings fans get used to.
He said it explicitly many times that he wants to retire in Russia so this is his "last wish".

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
He said it explicitly many times that he wants to retire in Russia so this is his "last wish".

Yeah, I get that it hurts some people's feelings but I understand the decision. I will definitely follow him and pull for his team to win a title. I'm sure we'll see him in the winged wheel at some point in the future as part of the DRW alumni. :yo:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yeah...

they have

C Pavel Datsyuk
W Ilya Kovalchuk
W Steve Moses (former KHL best goalscorer, did some kind of 1-season record?)
C Vadim Chipachov (great late-bloomer all-around center)
W Evgeny Dadonov (Dadonov - Chipachov - Panarin was best Russian line at WHC)
W Sergei Plotnikov, ex-Penguins/Arizona
W Viktor Tikhonov, ex-Blackhawks/Arizona
C Jarno Koskiranta, probably best Finnish defensive Center at Europe
W Alexander Khochlachev, Bruins ex-prospect

RD Slava Voynov, ex-LA Kings, Would be 1st pair RH Defenceman at Red Wings...
LD Anton Belov, ex-Oiler

G Mikko Koskinen (Finnish, WHC silver medalist starter from last WHC)

+some good KHL-level core/depth Russians.

Imo, they have the best player of KHL (Datsyuk), best Center core in KHL (both offensively and defensively, Datsyuk-Chipachov-Koskiranta), best defenceman (Voynov) and one of the best goaltenders in Koskinen.

Coach really has to be bad if this team won't work. :D

Thye used these lines in season opener:

Plotnikov - Datsyuk - Kovalchuk (Plotnikov is the piano-puller...)
Dadonov - Chipachov - Gusev
Ketov - Koskiranta - Tikhonov
Khochlachev - Prohorkin - Moses (offensive line, but plays less)

If SKA doesn't win the Gagarin Cup they should be pretty embarrassed. Honestly there is no explanation for them not winning it all this year. They have to be one of the largest favorites to win their league in sports. It is a Bayern Munich or PSG in terms of comparison kind of scenario. They have so much more talent than the rest of the league. Their fourth line and third line is better than what most the league trots out as their top line. Pavel certainly didn't go for the challenging route in his return to Russia.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Datsyuk in crazy game tonight. Was quite invisible for two periods, but came in the third to score 4-5 and 5-5 goals.

That 5-5 equalizer in damn pretty. Retrievs the puck on his control with his skate, goes alone against 3 guys and snipes on the top corner 6 seconds before end.

2+1 total points tonight, OT was scoreless and game goes to shootout. Assist was a secondary PP assist for Kovalchuk point shot, which was tipped in by Shirokov in front of goal.

SKA Petersburg lost, somehow their coach didn't put Pavel on the shootout... :facepalm:

Last edited:

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Datsyuk in crazy game tonight. Was quite invisible for two periods, but came in the third to score 4-5 and 5-5 goals.

That 5-5 equalizer in damn pretty. Retrievs the puck on his control with his skate, goes alone against 3 guys and snipes on the top corner 6 seconds before end.

2+1 total points tonight, OT was scoreless and game goes to shootout. Assist was a secondary PP assist for Kovalchuk point shot, which was tipped in by Shirokov in front of goal.

SKA Petersburg lost, somehow their coach didn't put Pavel on the shootout... :facepalm:

Thanks for the update Henkka; do you have a link for the 5 on 5 goal?

Obviously, Id rather Datsyuk was still in Detroit but I think the Datsyuk watch will be a lot of fun.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013

To be honest, and I don't say this lightly, I don't think his heart was in it last season. I don't think he wanted to be there at the level that's required to be an elite (even given his age and health) NHL player.

So, thanks for the memories and good luck.

Unfortunately his exit was pretty sloppy and could've hurt the team much more than it did. But that'll be forgotten eventually.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
His retirement was so sudden, it's really just hitting me moreso now that he won't be suiting up this year. :(

Of course he can still do that stuff in those highlights, playing on big ice and against KHL defenseman is probably a walk in the park for him. Probably way less wear and tear on the body playing over there.

Will miss him this year, but I hope he's happy with everything.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
What a goal. This SKA team is solid. It's weird how I am checking the KHL website almost daily right now. Datsyuk 3rd in league scoring with 6 PTS.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
It was a perfectly placed shot. He beats most NHL goalies there.

That's not the goal he was talking about. The one in the OP the goalie looked like Niemi on that AA toe drag, except Pav didn't do anything to warrant it.
giphy.gif

That is pitiful

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I hope most hockey fans can understand the irony in how so many complain about how the NHL is too low scoring and goaltenders are too good, but yet at the same time any time a nice goal is scored there will be lots of posts about how the goaltendning wasn't good.

Look at that goal full-speed and it looks a lot less "pitiful". It's agressive goaltending getting burned by having to make a lateral transition and then Pav changing up the angle making a backhand shot (which not many players would think to do in that position).

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I hope most hockey fans can understand the irony in how so many complain about how the NHL is too low scoring and goaltenders are too good, but yet at the same time any time a nice goal is scored there will be lots of posts about how the goaltendning wasn't good.

Look at that goal full-speed and it looks a lot less "pitiful". It's agressive goaltending getting burned by having to make a lateral transition and then Pav changing up the angle making a backhand shot (which not many players would think to do in that position).

No one is disputing pretty goals aren't fun to watch. The point is that while Datsyuk's KHL highlights look delicious, proper context must be given. He used to pull off these moves in the NHL, making the world's best goalies look stupid. That's what made him impressive in the first place.

I'm not sure why people get excited when he's undressing clearly inferior talent, though.

Here, you want a backhand goal that's actually worth getting excited about?

LtU8TRS.gif

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
No one is disputing pretty goals aren't fun to watch. The point is that while Datsyuk's KHL highlights look delicious, proper context must be given. He used to pull off these moves in the NHL, making the world's best goalies look stupid. That's what made him impressive in the first place.

I'm not sure why people get excited when he's undressing clearly inferior talent, though.

LtU8TRS.gif

Agree with Clay on this one. That is poor goaltending. I mean Dats has a heck of a backhand, probably top 3 in the NHL, when he was in his prime, but that wasn't crazy hard or amazingly placed. The goalie was just horribly out of position. In contrast the one Clay linked, is a perfectly placed backhand that would beat most goalies. The goalie was in position, Dats just placed a beautiful shot.

Dirby Kach

Sponsor
Sep 2, 2009
great career with the Wings.. one of the best all time, however, it is a shame that his whole legacy will be tainted by his lack of loyalty.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

LtU8TRS.gif
I'm not really saying that goal in the KHL was amazing, just tired of "bad goaltending" posts on every pretty goal. Obviously the goal against San Jose is much more impressive but it's like people can't process that even the best goalies in the world can look bad without it actually being bad goaltending. The AA goal against Dallas is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I'm not really saying that goal in the KHL was amazing, just tired of "bad goaltending" posts on every pretty goal. Obviously the goal against San Jose is much more impressive but it's like people can't process that even the best goalies in the world can look bad without it actually being bad goaltending. The AA goal against Dallas is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

Yeah but the Datsyuk goal is not applicable because the goaltender in question did not do what goaltenders at a high level do. He completely floundered for no reason. At least AA was moving from the far left side to the right side. Datsyuk received a pass at the blueline, skated towards the right side of the net, then put the puck through a goalie who didn't seem to want to move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad