16/17 Pavel Datsyuk Watch

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Because once again one of them is 38 and clearly worn down by injuries and the other tried to leave at his peak on a contender. It's apples and oranges. When have fans ever whined about a 38 year old hanging them up?

One of them stiffed Detroit with a huge cap hit after literally quitting on the team at the end of the previous season. The other didn't.

Neither one really pushes my 'give a ****' meter at all, and I think both had good, valid reasons for bailing. But it seems silly to excuse Datsyuk and blast Fedorov, especially when I don't recall Fedorov having tanked it in his last games with the team, just prior to going and playing harder elsewhere.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I can't believe there is a thread dedicated to slamming two of the best players to ever ware the jersey.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I can't believe there is a thread dedicated to slamming two of the best players to ever ware the jersey.

Yeah, I think as far as these guys go you have to learn to take the good with the bad. They're professional athletes. We didn't bring them here because of their excellent personalities or good decision making skills. Feds has already said he wishes he had stayed and if you hear him talk about those teams he still feels like he's a wing. Datsyuk will probably be similar someday, though I honestly think leaving was the correct decision for him. He gets to play in Russia, be closer to his family, and have an easier finish to his career. He wasn't going to help the team this year and his cap didn't hurt us. Honestly if it had forced a one year drop in play because we couldn't move it that would have been a GOOD thing.

They contributed years of incredible plays to this team that I personally am very thankful to have witnessed. Sure neither of them left in the most brilliant way but after the sting of losing them, getting over it and remembering the good times is the way to go IMO. Feds and Dats will always be two of my favorite wings. They were masters on the ice, and brought us cups and more moments of joy than I can count. Both could wow you with the smallest play. I wish things had ended better but I honestly can't understand how bitter everyone is.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Thread makes me bummed, but whatever, people are allowed to have different opinions.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006

A) Threads slamming Holland, though, are totes cool?

B) Both guys absolutely pooped on the team on their way out. Sorry. That changes how they are viewed. Had Fedorov played out his career in Detroit, he's viewed more positively. Had Datsyuk played out his contract in Detroit, he's viewed more positively.

That's just the way it is now, how it's always been, and how it's always going to be. If Nick bleeping Lidstrom had taken a Fedorov or Datsyuk-sized poo on the team a few years before he retired, guess what... he'd be viewed more negatively by fans around here too.

Some people are fans more of players than they are of franchises. That's fine. Most people are fans of franchises, and that's where their first loyalty lies, so when individual players split from the franchise poof, they aren't as much of a fan favorite anymore.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Some people are fans more of players than they are of franchises. That's fine. Most people are fans of franchises, and that's where their first loyalty lies, so when individual players split from the franchise poof, they aren't as much of a fan favorite anymore.

And some people have the ability properly to weigh things.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

I can't believe that there is not only one thread, but the focus of about a couple hundred dedicated to slamming one of the best GMs in the history of the league. I can't believe that there have been multiple threads in the past slamming one of the best coaches in the league (when Babcock was here).

If you're going to give Fedorov and Datsyuk a complete pass for their "transgressions", it doesn't follow that you roast Ken Holland for his.

There are legitimate reasons with how they left the team as to why fans might be pissed at them.

Fedorov sat out 61 games one year for a contract. He signed a huge poison pill deal. He left the Wings for Anaheim for less total money.

Datsyuk signed a 3 year deal at 35+ and wanted out of it immediately.... just a couple years after Nick Lidstrom made a point of doing year to year deals

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
One of them stiffed Detroit with a huge cap hit after literally quitting on the team at the end of the previous season. The other didn't.

Neither one really pushes my 'give a ****' meter at all, and I think both had good, valid reasons for bailing. But it seems silly to excuse Datsyuk and blast Fedorov, especially when I don't recall Fedorov having tanked it in his last games with the team, just prior to going and playing harder elsewhere.

I think that's being needlessly antagonistic to Datsyuk. He didn't tank it on the team. He's a broken down 38 year old player at the end of a season. And it'll look like he's putting more into it over in the KHL because the overall talent level there is much lower. He can do stuff there that he'd get crushed for attempting here.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I can't believe that there is not only one thread, but the focus of about a couple hundred dedicated to slamming one of the best GMs in the history of the league. I can't believe that there have been multiple threads in the past slamming one of the best coaches in the league (when Babcock was here).

If you're going to give Fedorov and Datsyuk a complete pass for their "transgressions", it doesn't follow that you roast Ken Holland for his.

There are legitimate reasons with how they left the team as to why fans might be pissed at them.

Fedorov sat out 61 games one year for a contract. He signed a huge poison pill deal. He left the Wings for Anaheim for less total money.

Datsyuk signed a 3 year deal at 35+ and wanted out of it immediately.... just a couple years after Nick Lidstrom made a point of doing year to year deals

And who was the GM for both of those deals?

Holland deserves all the flak he's getting because he has become a parody of himself. Fedorov donated a year salary to charity. Datsyuk, the meek family man, wanted to go home to play closer to his daughter. Not like either are devils.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Datsyuk leaving us with the cap hit was indeed...

orig-2166271.jpg

Better to have the cap hit then let the leagues worst pro scouting department with help of kenny spend it on ****.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I think that's being needlessly antagonistic to Datsyuk.

Well yeah, that was sort of the point. I was responding to a chain where Datsyuk was basically given a pass, but Fedorov was crucified.

He didn't tank it on the team. He's a broken down 38 year old player at the end of a season. And it'll look like he's putting more into it over in the KHL because the overall talent level there is much lower. He can do stuff there that he'd get crushed for attempting here.

As I said, it doesn't really bother me, but I can't take seriously the notion that Fedorov was so much worse.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

I find this quote hilarious given you don't seem able to separate Holland from the franchise.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Well, Fedorov was in his prime and the team was a contender. With Datsyuk? Not so much.

Yeah certainly different scenarios. It's not like Datstuk is screwing the Wings out of Cup runs which Fedorov arguably did.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Well, Fedorov was in his prime and the team was a contender. With Datsyuk? Not so much.

Eh, Fedorov also wasn't under contract. If he'd held out or refused to play, I'd have a very different view. Again, I don't really have a problem with either guy or how they finished out in Detroit, but I really don't see how either is all that much worse than the other.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'm not biased against either player, both Fedorov and Datsyuk have been my absolute favorites. But I was a lot more angry against Fedorov when he left.

Afterwards it was great thing that Fedex left, because we could not have handled his 7.6M caphit after the lockout. And guy would have been drastically overpaid and force Holland more buyouts at 2005. It opened some room for a nice small rebuild under that 39M cap.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
I'm not biased against either player, both Fedorov and Datsyuk have been my absolute favorites. But I was a lot more angry against Fedorov when he left.

Afterwards it was great thing that Fedex left, because we could not have handled his 7.6M caphit after the lockout. And guy would have been drastically overpaid and force Holland more buyouts at 2005. It opened some room for a nice small rebuild under that 39M cap.

Yeah it worked out in hindsight, Kinda like Datsyuk’s contract in a way. The Wings get to advance forward a year without Datsyuk without (more than likely) losing a chance at a cup.

ashenhigh

Aug 27, 2008
Los Angeles
Yeah certainly different scenarios. It's not like Datstuk is screwing the Wings out of Cup runs which Fedorov arguably did.

Have to disagree about Feds. He left in summer if '03, literally one season before the lock-out. Post-lockout Red Wings would have of had to move on due to the new salary structure from the CBA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad