Prospect Info: 15th overall — C Dylan Larkin: Larkin signs 3 year entry deal

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Choo choo, there are no breaks on the hype-train ;)

Larkin's a beast, let him play in ahl next season as a 1st line center. Hopefully he gets a shot at the nhl aswell!

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
If he can help the PK, there's a realistic chance he'd have a spot on the 3rd line, is what I'm thinking.

Z-D-Abdelkader
Tatar - Sheahan - Nyquist
Helm - Larkin - Pulkkinen
Star Wars

Jurco, Weiss (traded or scratched), and Franzen (still think he'll LTIR) are your odd men out. Or Jurco could fold in for Lando. If Larkin can step into an NHL role in the next year, it gets harder to find a spot for Helm, which is the guy the Wings should be dangling for some defensive help. You won't get a Myers type for Helm, but he's a nice foundation for a "hockey trade" that could help both sides.

In the limited amount of games I have seen him play I believe Larkin has a shot at being the first prospect in a long time to skip the AHL grooming year. Granted small amount of games but ppg in the AHL playoffs, getting matched against Kopitar and looking well at it in WC, and holding his own all things considered against Malkin and Ovie we might just see the first prospect in a long time skip the seasoning process.

Granted Kenny might want to keep his 2nd rfa deal down and make him spend 1/2 the year to potentially the whole year - playoffs in the AHL next year. But he is really making a case to be on the big club next year barring a Mantha type injury in camp next year.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
If Larkin does not get significant time with the club next year it's only being done to keep his RFA deals down...which I have been saying for years is a huge part of the "overripe" strategy.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
If Larkin does not get significant time with the club next year it's only being done to keep his RFA deals down...which I have been saying for years is a huge part of the "overripe" strategy.

Let's be honest, Larkin isn't going to come up next year unless injuries, Or he is playing at like 80 points in 40 games.

The year after that however...

Aug 6, 2012
Let's be honest, Larkin isn't going to come up next year unless injuries, Or he is playing at like 80 points in 40 games.

The year after that however...

With five years of mediocrity and Blashill (who's known for his work with the youngsters) taking over, maybe we see some sort of change in the strategy of KFH? Like if a young kid kills it in camp/preseason, it actually means something.

Just wishfull thinking though, I really doubt it.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
With five years of mediocrity and Blashill (who's known for his work with the youngsters) taking over, maybe we see some sort of change in the strategy of KFH? Like if a young kid kills it in camp/preseason, it actually means something.

Just wishfull thinking though, I really doubt it.

If he kills it in camp I see no reason why he shouldn't come up

But more then likely even if he still kills it, Holland will say, too many players on our team

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
The kid will be 19 years old. He wont be up with the Wings to start the year.

It makes more sense to have him playing top line minutes in GR rather then the third line in Detroit. That's my opinion and I am sure the Brass feels the same.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
The kid will be 19 years old. He wont be up with the Wings to start the year.

It makes more sense to have him playing top line minutes in GR rather then the third line in Detroit. That's my opinion and I am sure the Brass feels the same.

3rd line with powerplay time is just the same as top line minutes in Grand Rapids if he can play just fine. 3rd line without powerplay time or worse is when he should stay in the A

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
who wasnt brutal down the strech of March? He was one of the best defenders in the playoffs, Zidlicky was one of the worst.

Smith was horrible. His play in the playoffs was frustrating. And I mean frustrating by Smith's standards.

But even if that weren't the case, Zidlicky was a more valuable defenseman than Smith in the time both were on the team. And while that's still a small sample size, it's bigger than a 7 game stretch.

And none of this touches on my original, most salient point.... Zidlicky provides what this team needs. Smith does not.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Or underrated, if you understand defensive hockey.

I understand defensive hockey and Millers PKing to me is nothing special. Sure hes good at it but for not providing much of anything else his spot definitely shouldn't be safe because he PKs.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
I understand defensive hockey and Millers PKing to me is nothing special. Sure hes good at it but for not providing much of anything else his spot definitely shouldn't be safe because he PKs.

No spot should be safe. Let the best players win out.

But Miller is the best player for the role he has fulfilled, and until that changes, he shouldn't be replaced by a mediocre, unknown quantity. It's nonsensical.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

But Miller is the best player for the role he has fulfilled, and until that changes, he shouldn't be replaced by a mediocre, unknown quantity. It's nonsensical.

When everyone is healthy though, Millers role on the PK can easily be filled by guys just as good or better that are not unknown. A healthy wings team has Helm in the bottom 6 eating up a lot of those minutes. Glendening will be out there plenty. Sheahan could do Millers job on the PK.

Its not nonsensical to take an unknown quantity when you dont know if its mediocre or not. Sure Ferraro or Callahan might not work out and at worst you lost a fourht line guy in Miller who does nothing at 5 on 5 but can PK. The team can pic up the slack though pretty easily.

On the other hand, one of those unknown quantities like Ferraro and Callahan could provide an upgrade at 5 on 5 while still filling or even being better on the PK. Both those guys are known for their defensive hockey while being more physical and more than likely providing more offense.

I dont see why you wouldnt try those guys out over Andersson and Miller who are closer to warm bodies than they are playing a significant role on the team

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
When everyone is healthy though, Millers role on the PK can easily be filled by guys just as good or better that are not unknown. A healthy wings team has Helm in the bottom 6 eating up a lot of those minutes. Glendening will be out there plenty. Sheahan could do Millers job on the PK.

Its not nonsensical to take an unknown quantity when you dont know if its mediocre or not. Sure Ferraro or Callahan might not work out and at worst you lost a fourht line guy in Miller who does nothing at 5 on 5 but can PK. The team can pic up the slack though pretty easily.

On the other hand, one of those unknown quantities like Ferraro and Callahan could provide an upgrade at 5 on 5 while still filling or even being better on the PK. Both those guys are known for their defensive hockey while being more physical and more than likely providing more offense.

I dont see why you wouldnt try those guys out over Andersson and Miller who are closer to warm bodies than they are playing a significant role on the team

Ferraro and Callahan are nothing special. They are middling prospects who you can waive and they won't get claimed. They are just good enough to be given a shot, to see if they can steal a job. If they do, great, you've come out with a win. If not, you've lost nothing. But to plug them in prematurely, while jettisoning a proven, valuable commodity like Miller.... that's nonsensical. You gain nothing you couldn't have gained in the first scenario, and you stand to lose one of your 12 best forwards, for no reason.

Where some find Miller to be the most overrated thing on this board, I find our middling prospects to the most overrated thing. Give some of them a shot, sure. All for it. Replace roster player with them before they've proven anything? I hope that never happens.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Let's move back onto the subject of Dylan Larkin, s'il vous plait.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Larkin does look like the real deal so far. I could see him getting some games late next year if he continues but a year in the AHL would be a good thing for him.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Does anyone not think Larkin is currently our #1 prospect?

He sure vaulted ahead of Mantha in a hot second.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Does anyone not think Larkin is currently our #1 prospect?

He sure vaulted ahead of Mantha in a hot second.

I'm sure there will be some size kings/queens that still put mantha at #1 based on "potential". But I feel when the summer prospect rankings come out Larkin will be #1.

Chex LeMeneux

May 4, 2014
Metro Detroit
I'm sure there will be some size kings/queens that still put mantha at #1 based on "potential". But I feel when the summer prospect rankings come out Larkin will be #1.

Yeah, the combination of Larkin's amazing season and Mantha's subpar one will probably cause him to stumble big time in the summer rankings. Depending on who is included, I wouldn't be surprised if he goes #3 or #4.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Yeah, the combination of Larkin's amazing season and Mantha's subpar one will probably cause him to stumble big time in the summer rankings. Depending on who is included, I wouldn't be surprised if he goes #3 or #4.

Right now the top tier is....

1. Larkin
2. Mrazek (is he still a prospect?)
3. Mantha

....for me.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi

I had him as a #4 at the start of the season. He will drop outta my top 5 for sure question is how much.

Chex LeMeneux

May 4, 2014
Metro Detroit

1. Larkin
3. Mantha

....for me.

I had him as a #4 at the start of the season. He will drop outta my top 5 for sure question is how much.

I imagine Mrazek and Pulkinnen have graduated at this point. Cases can be made for Ouellet and Marchenko.... and maybe AA, but that to me is a bit of a stretch. I guess we'll see here in a few weeks. This one will definitely be more interesting than the last few though.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

1. Larkin
3. Mantha

....for me.

If Mrazek's still a prospect, he'd probably be my #1. Never been big on trying to figure out goalies, but everything about the guy says elite to me.

Anchor Town*

Helm, Sheahan, Glendening, and Larkin are all equally as good at PKing as Miller is and all contribute elsewhere. Miller is a waste of a spot. Plus all those guys can take draws, which is key on the PK, especially with how often centers are getting kicked out.

Sorry if you have some weird attachment to Miller, but he's not as good on the PK as you think. PKing is one of the easiest things in hockey. It's no wonder that teams usually give their best players a rest and play the ****** ones on the PK unless it's in a key situation. Are Datsyuk and Zetterberg better on the PK than Miller? I don't think even you'd argue otherwise. But they don't PK unless it's in a key situation because practically half the team is adept at it.

Hopefully that silly notion of Miller being a good PKer is put to bed.

Now let's get back on track about Larkin. Hope they give him a chance this fall, 3C to start out with 2PP and 1PK

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00