Prospect Info: 15th overall — C Dylan Larkin: Larkin signs 3 year entry deal

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Right now the top tier is....

1. Larkin
2. Mrazek (is he still a prospect?)
3. Mantha

....for me.

I don't think hes still considered a prospect, But if he is he should go #1 Larkin #2 and then Everyone else can battle 3, Not sure Mantha should be 3 as of right now

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
Larkin is easily number 1 in my book. I would still have Mantha as number 2, he has absurd amounts of potential. Many players have had bad rookie years in the AHL and have gone on to have amazing careers. While it's not gonna raise his stock, it shouldn't lower it too much either. No other prospect besides Larkin has his superstar potential.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Larkin is easily number 1 in my book. I would still have Mantha as number 2, he has absurd amounts of potential. Many players have had bad rookie years in the AHL and have gone on to have amazing careers. While it's not gonna raise his stock, it shouldn't lower it too much either. No other prospect besides Larkin has his superstar potential.

can you provide some examples?

leafers

Oct 2, 2006
Helm, Sheahan, Glendening, and Larkin are all equally as good at PKing as Miller is and all contribute elsewhere.

Really?
How do you figure? Is he better at blocking shots? Getting in passing lanes? Pressuring? All of this against NHL competition. Please, do elaborate.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
can you provide some examples?

I'd say Charlie Coyle, Vladislav Namestnikov, Brendan Gallagher, Jaden Schwartz, Brandon Saad, Ondrej Palat, and Max Pacioretty all had similarly disappointing rookie seasons or seasons in which they didn't produce well in the AHL.

Development isn't linear and one poor season shouldn't lower a prospects projected upside. Some players can make adjustments on the fly while others need to work harder to make the same adjustments. We saw with Jurco what a year can do for you so we should wait and see how Mantha responds next season before we start to question his upside.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Tatar won the Playoff MVP in the Calder Cup and was pretty exceptional with the Griffins. Nyquist too.

Well to be fair, They're talking about rookie ahl seasons. And tatar was just above 0.5 ppg, mantha just below. However tatar didn't break his leg going into his rookie season.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I think my top 10 would probably go: (Prospects until 1st full NHL season)

1. Larkin (Dominant season, hopefully he can follow up)
2. Mrazek (NHL goalie, hopeful starter in a year or two)
3. Mantha (Elite potential still, even with the bad year)
4. Teemu Pulkinen (Tearing up the AHL, but still has NHL size/ strength questions)
5. A2 (Great 1st season in the AHL, looking to build into a player w/ top 6 potential)
6. Oulette (Basically tied with Marchenko, but I think he has the higher upside)
7. Marchenko (Good looks at the NHL level, hopefully secures a spot with the team next season)
8. Bertuzzi (Great start in the AHL after an excellent season in juniors)
9. Jensen (Forgotten dman, but I think could be a bottom pair guy)
10. Holmstrom (Huge season + potential if he can improve skating)

HM Nosek, Nasty, Ferraro, Cally

I'm not too worried about Mantha. It sort of took him a year to really figure out the Q and totally dominate. I think he'll have a good showing next year, just needs to be a bit more prepared physically, and not get injured in camp again. If Larkin doesn't make the team next season I think he and Mantha could be a great pair because he needs more of a playmaker to be at his most effective. AA is gonna be good, but he doesn't really play a center game.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Helm, Sheahan, Glendening, and Larkin are all equally as good at PKing as Miller is and all contribute elsewhere. Miller is a waste of a spot. Plus all those guys can take draws, which is key on the PK, especially with how often centers are getting kicked out.

Sorry if you have some weird attachment to Miller, but he's not as good on the PK as you think. PKing is one of the easiest things in hockey. It's no wonder that teams usually give their best players a rest and play the ****** ones on the PK unless it's in a key situation. Are Datsyuk and Zetterberg better on the PK than Miller? I don't think even you'd argue otherwise. But they don't PK unless it's in a key situation because practically half the team is adept at it.

Hopefully that silly notion of Miller being a good PKer is put to bed.

Now let's get back on track about Larkin. Hope they give him a chance this fall, 3C to start out with 2PP and 1PK

My attachment to Miller is related solely to what he provides to the team, same as any player. Hell, he's a Spartan, I shouldn't like him at all :laugh: You should be telling me that I have a weird attachment to Larkin instead.

But yeah, he is as good on the PK as I think. He's better than you think (so here we are.... stalemate). I'm not sure you, like many on this board, fully understand the PK, or defensive hockey at large. Many things said on those topics on this board fly in the face of what is actually coached in the sport.

But yeah, PKing is one of the easiest things in hockey. That's why everyone is so good at it and no PP goals are ever scored :laugh:

Last edited:

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Really?
How do you figure? Is he better at blocking shots? Getting in passing lanes? Pressuring? All of this against NHL competition. Please, do elaborate.

Larkin may very well end up being a better NHL PKer than Miller. Today? Not a chance in hell.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
I'd say Charlie Coyle, Vladislav Namestnikov, Brendan Gallagher, Jaden Schwartz, Brandon Saad, Ondrej Palat, and Max Pacioretty all had similarly disappointing rookie seasons or seasons in which they didn't produce well in the AHL.

Wouldn't say any of those players had the same amount of expectations on them that Mantha had though.

isn't linear and one poor season shouldn't lower a prospects projected upside. Some players can make adjustments on the fly while others need to work harder to make the same adjustments. We saw with Jurco what a year can do for you so we should wait and see how Mantha responds next season before we start to question his upside.

Agree with this. Folks should reserve judgement on him till after next season. I'd say Larkin's leaped frogged Mantha into the #1 prospects spot though also.

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
Wouldn't say any of those players had the same amount of expectations on them that Mantha had though.

Agree with this. Folks should reserve judgement on him till after next season. I'd say Larkin's leaped frogged Mantha into the #1 prospects spot though also.

Players with more expectations than Mantha likely never step foot in the AHL

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I wonder truely how much that injury affected mantha. Is it his worst injury so far? Maybe it shattered that bubble of invulnerability we all feel until we face a decent injury like that. Was he playing timid? Certainly reserve judgement for next season but his first season's numbers sure are concerning.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

If Mantha didn't have an MVP season his final year in the CHL no one would be criticizing his game or point totals right now.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
If Mantha didn't have an MVP season his final year in the CHL no one would be criticizing his game or point totals right now.

My point exactly. Maybe there'd be a bit of criticism, but certainly not nearly as much in my opinion.

leafers

Oct 2, 2006
Larkin may very well end up being a better NHL PKer than Miller. Today? Not a chance in hell.

Talking today. Yup in the future I think Quarky Larky will end up being the better PKer, but that post was just filled with bs.
Easy to Pk? Lol sure thing...

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Talking today. Yup in the future I think Quarky Larky will end up being the better PKer, but that post was just filled with bs.
Easy to Pk? Lol sure thing...

I don't think he is better today. Larkin was the primary PK guy on the Team USA at the worlds. He is taking PK shifts immediately in GR. He also was the best PK guy in the B1G.

Larkin is an outstanding pk guy. He clogs lanes, actually forces shooters and the guy on the half-wall into hurrying decisions and recovers. He might not block the puck as well as Miller, but he will not cede as much zone time.

For all the love Miller gets for his pking ability where he is above average in terms of the NHL guys, he also has been a part of pk units that aren't very good. He isn't some earth shattering factor that all teams fear, Larkin on the PK has a Draper impact. He can take draws, he takes away space while being sound position wise and he scares the living bejesus out of the PP guys in terms of transition ability on mistakes.

I don't know how ready he is, but one area we can be fairly comfortable with is the PK right now. He has shadowed the likes of Kopitar, Kovalchuk and Malkin and looked exceptional doing it. He is just flat out a more talented player and it will show on the PK as well. Where he has better puck control, more explosive closing and things of that nature. Larkin on the PK in many ways is our age old statement if only Helm actually knew where to be half the time, Larkin's hockey IQ means he is. Unlike Miller though who is very good at positioning and blocking Larkin adds additional problems because he is simply an incredibly more skilled hockey player, even right now as an 18 year old I take him in this department comfortably.

Last edited:

moveslikepavel

Apr 30, 2013
Saw Dylan play game 5 vs Utica. He has confidence right now. Mantha looked like he is running on reserves. They are worlds apart in their development process right now. I still like them both but Mantha has the physical skills to be great if he works at it. Larkin has the mental make-up that is driving him. He had a wide open one-timer on the power play, taking a cross ice pass, and put it right into the Utica goalie. He was pissed. He was bending his stick and talking to himself. He stayed out on the face off, the puck came back to him, and within a span of 2 seconds he found his spot on the ice looked at the net made one step and made a perfect shot top right corner. Goalie didn't stand a chance. He has that offensive awareness that elite players have. He also made a couple terrible passes. One was an unnecessary pass in the defensive zone behind a team mate and it went right to a Utica player in front for a breakaway that could have easily been a goal. His decisions will get better, but I don't see him as a wing for at least 1 more year.

leafers

Oct 2, 2006
I don't think he is better today. Larkin was the primary PK guy on the Team USA at the worlds. He is taking PK shifts immediately in GR. He also was the best PK guy in the B1G.

Larkin is an outstanding pk guy. He clogs lanes, actually forces shooters and the guy on the half-wall into hurrying decisions and recovers. He might not block the puck as well as Miller, but he will not cede as much zone time.

For all the love Miller gets for his pking ability where he is above average in terms of the NHL guys, he also has been a part of pk units that aren't very good. He isn't some earth shattering factor that all teams fear, Larkin on the PK has a Draper impact. He can take draws, he takes away space while being sound position wise and he scares the living bejesus out of the PP guys in terms of transition ability on mistakes.

I don't know how ready he is, but one area we can be fairly comfortable with is the PK right now. He has shadowed the likes of Kopitar, Kovalchuk and Malkin and looked exceptional doing it. He is just flat out a more talented player and it will show on the PK as well. Where he has better puck control, more explosive closing and things of that nature. Larkin on the PK in many ways is our age old statement if only Helm actually knew where to be half the time, Larkin's hockey IQ means he is. Unlike Miller though who is very good at positioning and blocking Larkin adds additional problems because he is simply an incredibly more skilled hockey player, even right now as an 18 year old I take him in this department comfortably.

That's where we differ. I see ability. Ability and potential to be a better PKer. But being a good PKer is more than just ability and talent. It's about knowing the opposition, knowing their tendencies, reading plays and being able to execute. And I'm talking NHL level competition. That only comes with experience. Now if you take Dylans ability and talent and mix it with experience, then we'll probably have a PKer better than Miller. I'm not saying Miller is a top of the league PKer, but he ain't no slouch.

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
That's where we differ. I see ability. Ability and potential to be a better PKer. But being a good PKer is more than just ability and talent. It's about knowing the opposition, knowing their tendencies, reading plays and being able to execute. And I'm talking NHL level competition. That only comes with experience. Now if you take Dylans ability and talent and mix it with experience, then we'll probably have a PKer better than Miller. I'm not saying Miller is a top of the league PKer, but he ain't no slouch.

Youre never going to know for sure either way, so everyone is arguing opinion here. But with Larkin I see ability and potential that would easily translate to the NHL level, were not talking about some prospect who is a solid fourth liner that may come up and do better than Miller. We're talking about a blue chip prospect that is well known for his elite penalty killing. He was dominant in the NCAA, the best PKer at the WJC and scored some shorties there as well and was relied upon by the States as one of their top PKers at the World Championships. The World CHampionships is a team Miller would never sniff.

So while no, none of us can say for sure I've seen him enough at every level dominating on the PK where I feel extremely confident he would be at least as good as Miller right now. Miller blocks shots but how often do we see him have the speed or puck skills to kill time in the other teams offensive zone? Never.

Millers PK ability is overrated on this board because he PKs a lot for Detroit and looks better than guys like Andersson. If Helm, Sheahan and Larkin got on that unit over guys like Miller and Andersson the PK would be improved

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad