Golf: 150th Open Championship - July 14-17

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Cam was negative strokes tee to green coming into this round. He probably was positive this round and probably made that slight negative for three rounds into a positive, but he essentially gained like 15 strokes this week with his putter. That was the difference this week. One of the best putting performances you'll ever see.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Well, in some alternate universe Australian Rory won this tournament :laugh:

Screenshot_20220717-105539_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Ugh this was Rory’s to win. Not that he choked or anything but he couldn’t kick it into gear. He’s had such a strange career. I thought he’d surpass easily surpass Mickelson in majors but not sure anymore. He reminds me a bit of him now even.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Looks good to me.

Wish Rory would've won. This was his closest chance since 2014. He's too good historically to still be stuck on 4 majors.
Nice call. I get almost all my predictions wrong, so I'm going to take a small victory lap for this one after the TOC win in January.

Cam Smith is really underrated. Wouldn’t be surprised if he won a major this year.

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
Looks good to me.

Wish Rory would've won. This was his closest chance since 2014. He's too good historically to still be stuck on 4 majors.

He underperformed in majors the last 8 years but I think winning 4 so fast was actually overperforming I think to the point where he's still at a decent number. He is more like DJ as a talent to me and he still has twice as many as him. Putting has cost them both a lot of majors.

Last edited:

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
He underperformed in majors the last 8 years but I think winning 4 so fast was actually overperforming I think to the point where he's still at a decent number. He is more like DJ as a talent to me and he still has twice as many as him. Putting has cost them both a lot of majors.

I would include DJ in the same group, that 2 majors underrates him historically. Perhaps it's just a reflection of the era that these great all-time players have fewer majors than the greats that preceded them.

He's my guy - not quite to the same degree as he once was - but Brooks having 4 is a real outlier. Him and Rory with the same total doesn't pass the smell test. That's golf, though.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Thank goodness for Cameron Smith winning. Now I get to be saved from all the endless Rory worshiping that would have infested sports news for awhile. Great outcome.

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
He's my guy - not quite to the same degree as he once was - but Brooks having 4 is a real outlier. Him and Rory with the same total doesn't pass the smell test. That's golf, though.

Definitely - Vijay has more wins in 2004 alone than Koepka's entire career and has less majors

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Disappointing show of golf because without wind the guys could have played the whole weekend with driver, a wedge and a putter. When you have half a dozen or so drivable holes it takes a lot away from the game.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
He's the best. Man I can't even imagine how he'd be received if he were an American. He's literally the everyman's golfer, has a personality, etc. Him winning the Open is so deserved.
Totally agree. He became my favorite golfer a couple years ago. Just seems so down to earth and has an awesome mullet. What I would give to have a few beers with the man

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
The Tiger worship was fair, even if some disliked it. He was that good and so much better than everyone else.

The Rory worship is in large part based on the golf media liking the guy personally and thinking he has good morals. Golf is one of the only sports where the athletes are very close to some of the journalists. In a lot of other sports they often would come from very different types of backgrounds, but with golf they come from similar backgrounds. He's friends with them and they talk regularly outside of the scheduled interviews for tournaments. Thats a big reason the media loves him.

It has seeped into fan discourse, and I think fans are buying into it without understanding the reason why. Rory has built himself up as the voice of the PGA Tour, in large part due to the relationship he has with the media. To be fair to him, his public stands have helped. He's taking a big stand on LIV and other issues. I think he publicly rebuked Trump also at some point, which many liked.

Thats not to say Rory isn't popular or one of the best, but this guy isn't more than one of the fan favorites and one of the best. He's one of the faces of golf, but has made himself into the voice. In Northern Ireland they might look at him as the face of golf, but elsewhere he's one of a number as opposed to the face.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008
Congratulations to Cam Smith on his incredible play in winning The Open Championship at St. Andrews. Cam is a great player and a great guy. He will go on winning for many years to come!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00