Golf: 150th Open Championship - July 14-17

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
6+ hour rounds is ridiculous and that's with 2 different sessions. Say what you want about LIV but that scramble format gets you over and done with in just over 4 hours. Obviously having the tournament on for over 12 hours can make you a bunch of sponsor money with all the commercials but it's brutal for anyone trying to watch. This is an old course so you don't want to mess with it but it's extremely hard to see the ball on the course with how the fairways and greens look on some holes.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
6+ hour rounds is ridiculous and that's with 2 different sessions. Say what you want about LIV but that scramble format gets you over and done with in just over 4 hours. Obviously having the tournament on for over 12 hours can make you a bunch of sponsor money with all the commercials but it's brutal for anyone trying to watch. This is an old course so you don't want to mess with it but it's extremely hard to see the ball on the course with how the fairways and greens look on some holes.
I think the discussion a lot of people want to bring up about the Old Course not being fit for the modern game isn’t a bad one. But the cost you pay is that you lose the history of it from the sport. It’s one year every five. I think the whining and complaining, which isn’t even wrong, is worth it to keep the tradition alive. The pace of play and difficulty of the course is not an issue with the other courses in the rota.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I think the discussion a lot of people want to bring up about the Old Course not being fit for the modern game isn’t a bad one. But the cost you pay is that you lose the history of it from the sport. It’s one year every five. I think the whining and complaining, which isn’t even wrong, is worth it to keep the tradition alive. The pace of play and difficulty of the course is not an issue with the other courses in the rota.

I don't have an issue with the course it's trying to watch it that's the issue. Not sure where the camera towers are but the shot tracking, ball flight and visuals are all poor. Watching live isn't enjoyable, the replays are much better with better angles or whatever they are using to make it look presentable.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I'd love to see a shotgun start in a 156 man field.

(I wouldn't actually)

I honestly don't know how they were able to get all these guys through both days? If you wanted to watch Dustin Johnson and Rory you would have needed to start at 2am and still be watching. The scramble might not be traditional for professional golf but it sure as hell makes your day better not having to watch 12 hours.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
CA67A7B0-EEEB-4AB5-BC50-4ADD24236E9C.jpeg

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I honestly don't know how they were able to get all these guys through both days? If you wanted to watch Dustin Johnson and Rory you would have needed to start at 2am and still be watching. The scramble might not be traditional for professional golf but it sure as hell makes your day better not having to watch 12 hours.

You know you can record live TV right?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
It’s a race to -20
I think it’ll be less than that. Second place would need -9 on the weekend with two of those rounds in more difficult conditions as opposed to getting an early round one of their first two days. The course is easy, but that’s still a big ask. I think Smith could hit 20, but unless he goes very low, I think it’s like -17 or -18. If Smith struggles, I could even see like -15 winning it.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think it’ll be less than that. Second place would need -9 on the weekend with two of those rounds in more difficult conditions as opposed to getting an early round one of their first two days. The course is easy, but that’s still a big ask. I think Smith could hit 20, but unless he goes very low, I think it’s like -17 or -18. If Smith struggles, I could even see like -15 winning it.
We got guys at -13 and -10 already, it sounds like people think scoring will get better and people are already scoring lower. Someone’s gonna put up like a 62 or something and get there.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Smith should have this thing so long as someone in those 5-6 behind him does not shoot a 63 or 64 today. I think even a 68 from him today probably makes him hard to catch.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
This leaderboard is wild. Hovland's never come close to contending in a major, I'm interested to see how he handles this with the winds howling. In theory, he seems like an obvious pick in hindsight - his wacky short game is mitigated by how huge the greens are.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
This leaderboard is wild. Hovland's never come close to contending in a major, I'm interested to see how he handles this with the winds howling. In theory, he seems like an obvious pick in hindsight - his wacky short game is mitigated by how huge the greens are.

Hovland's issue is largely keeping focused. He rarely has horrible days but he has horrible stretches within rounds where he can go plus 4 over 7 holes then go 6 under in the next 11...he has to try and avoid that problem

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I was watching Golf channel late last night and they featured Hovland a lot in their discourse and now he’s made a move.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hovland's issue is largely keeping focused. He rarely has horrible days but he has horrible stretches within rounds where he can go plus 4 over 7 holes then go 6 under in the next 11...he has to try and avoid that problem
Low golf IQ. Morikawa isn’t as talented, but doesn’t do stuff like that.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Young is the only guy I am convinced will fall out of this by the end of the day

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I have no confidence in him to sustain this but as long as he does not meltdown final 7 holes he at least enters Sunday with a great chance. I just fear the 75 from him tomorrow

Brunkmeister

Sep 4, 2021
I have no confidence in him to sustain this but as long as he does not meltdown final 7 holes he at least enters Sunday with a great chance. I just fear the 75 from him tomorrow

Normally i would not trust him to carry on but i do think he has looked comfortable out there the whole week so far. He know this course.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Theoretically Smith may still be in it but you really want just one of Rory or Vic to be at -16 or -17 at days end if you wanna have a shot from -11 or 12...both being there likely means one will get to 20 under or better tomorrow which means you're looking at course record territory probably to win it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad