GDT: #15 | Penguins vs Islanders | 02/18/21 | 7:00PM ET

Who will score the 1st goal tonight?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
That top line is so overrated right now.
this line is +4 since started playing together, not overrated, probably not as dominant as the media is pumping. but still I agree with @Jesse ...need points against Isles in bothe directions...ride them until it stopped working, adjust other lines and strategies

LosingStreak06

Dec 11, 2017
Everyone keeps talking about swapping Tanev with Kapanen but as far as I can tell Zucker is the bigger problem on Geno’s line right now, and Aston-Reese has three goals in three games. I’m not big on ZAR, and he’s obviously not a long-term solution on the top 6, but shouldn’t we be rewarding players for performing?

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
ibjGCFY.gif

Is this some kind of open crematorium?

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
but what if both lines click? Isn’t that better then 1?

What if they both don’t? Zucker with Sid since he’s been here is producing similar rates offensively and defensively

Sid-Z GF 2.79/60 GA 2.79/60
G-Z. GF 2.66/60 GA 2.66/60

GM/Coach need to figure something else out because breaking up L1 doesn’t look like it would help the team based on the numbers

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Everyone keeps talking about swapping Tanev with Kapanen but as far as I can tell Zucker is the bigger problem on Geno’s line right now, and Aston-Reese has three goals in three games. I’m not big on ZAR, and he’s obviously not a long-term solution on the top 6, but shouldn’t we be rewarding players for performing?
ZAR and Tanev in the top 6?

ConcernedBelovedBluetickcoonhound-small.gif

Tanev looked great on that breakaway last game. We need more of that in the top 6.

OscarsCards

Spooky action at a distance
Mar 13, 2013
Cesis
I don't like Islanders team, I don't like hockey player named Ason-Riice (Ason with a double s). But I do like Teddy Goals, so please Teddy do goals!!!

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
What if they both don’t? Zucker with Sid since he’s been here is producing similar rates offensively and defensively

Sid-Z GF 2.79/60 GA 2.79/60
G-Z. GF 2.66/60 GA 2.66/60

GM/Coach need to figure something else out because breaking up L1 doesn’t look like it would help the team based on the numbers

It would let us know about Malkin though, which should probably be a priority since we're not getting anywhere without him.

The problem with having such a top heavy line-up is that if you're convinced Zucker doesn't work with Malkin but refuse to touch Guentzel-Crosby-Rust, the only wingers you have to replace Zucker with are bottom 6ers. But we're not going to find out if Malkin's issues are his own or his linemates if we replace Zucker with the likes of Tanev or ZAR.

So we just end up with a fixed mindset where there are only limited line-up options to cycle through that don't address the real issues anyway.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Reactions: Andy99

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
Last years 4th line is now the 3rd line.

Never forget that JR said the 3rd line would be Jankowski and Rodrigues
Might be one of the worst offseasons this team has ever had. I know Rodrigues was signed on day one. Jankowski was either day one or shortly after. Neither of them would be above the taxi squad on a contending team. But nope, that's who we want. On day one.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Here's my problem...

Some of you want guys to get a chance if they start scoring. ZAR has scored a goal in each game since coming back. IMO... that deserves a chance. Do I think it is a long term solution or do I think it will work? No. But we've asked this for over 10 years. So I don't get the "LOL ZAR IN TOP 6" comments.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
It would let us know about Malkin though, which should probably be a priority since we're not getting anywhere without him.

The problem with having such a top heavy line-up is that if you're convinced Zucker doesn't work with Malkin but refuse to touch Guentzel-Crosby-Rust, the only wingers you have to replace Zucker with are bottom 6ers. But we're not going to find out if Malkin's issues are his own or his linemates if we replace Zucker with the likes of Tanev or ZAR.

So we just end up with a fixed mindset where there are only limited line-up options to cycle through that don't address the real issues anyway.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

I don’t touch L1. Swap ZAR & Zucker is about the only option with McCann out. Zucker has similar results with Sid as Malkin so it seems like L1 would drop more than L2 would gain.

Other than that it’s up to the GM to figure out because I can’t see Sully breaking up his top line when they’ve been our best shot at winning.

The other thing is Kappy is underperforming too and we don’t have great forward depth so Hextall needs to do something.

Reactions: vodeni

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Here's my problem...

Some of you want guys to get a chance if they start scoring. ZAR has scored a goal in each game since coming back. IMO... that deserves a chance. Do I think it is a long term solution or do I think it will work? No. But we've asked this for over 10 years. So I don't get the "LOL ZAR IN TOP 6" comments.
Yep ride the hot hand. This season's playoff entry could easily be a 1 point or tie breaker margin. Every game matters.

That being said, the third line is doing more than just playing well defensively and getting O-zone time. They're scoring. ZAR is a massive reason why. 3 goals in 3 games right? Why does it matter where the goals are coming from?

Until that slows down I see no reason to prioritize Malkin's needs. A lot of the 2nd line's failures are his fault anyway. Just play better? Stop calling for pucks from Zucker the moment he touches it? Let him play?
It's not like Malkin was any better with Rust. Maybe he just sucks this year and the wingers aren't to blame?

Reactions: ColePens

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Here's my problem...

Sure. In the sense of rewarding and hopeful jump starting of Geno, I say, why not?

This team is so, Alien, unto itself.

BjSZcVn.gif

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
If Letang loses that puck along the boards like Tanev did he's got an article written about how he gave the game away by Yohe.

Tanev had an open man below the goal line and tried to go up the ice for reasons that escape me.

Yup, Gurgs is 100% correct:

1. Tanev had control of puck and Letang moved back to behind goalie as outlet pass.
2. Tanev made huge mistake #1 and turned the puck over instead of easy pass
3. Petts then chases his man out of the crease. Mistake #2
4. Letang tries to double team poke check Petts man, instead of noticing Petts had vacated crease leaving it open. Mistake #3.
5. That little poke check allows cutter with speed to fly by Letang giving him OPPOSING TEAM EASY GOAL #15..16.. or 17 of the season

We give up 2-3 of these a game. It's maddening how bad coverage is.. but like Gurgs said. Letang... Geno... Zucker... Jarry.

None of the players or trades matter until we can play as a team and giving up the easiest goals on the planet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad