Post-Game Talk: #15: FLYERS 5 at Coyotes 2, Monday, Nov. 5, 2018, 9:00 p.m. ET

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
giphy.gif

The Flyers have a closed door meeting following this game, per radio crew. Interesting after such a successful trip.

"Good job tonight, guys."

"Look, after those disasters against the Islanders, Boston and Colorado I was really honored that you elected me to be the team's double-secret head coach. I think we really got on the right track on this road trip."

"Now, listen, it's important that we keep this rolling. We've got to keep ignoring Hak and Lappy and play our game."

"Are you with me?"

"Yeah! G! G! G! G! G!"

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
The mistakes in the defensive zone are just so f***ing boneheaded. Why are they trying to force long breakout passes through a forechecker? Almost cost them three times in the 1st.

Lindblom: relieved an Arizona flurry of pressure with a great centering breakout pass. He had to shield the puck from the pinching dman, forcing him to backhand it. Right on the tape. Great play. The pass to Patrick for the breakaway was also perfect. He just makes so many little tertiary plays out there...he creates behind the scenes. Love it. First full season boys.

Lehtera: All he had to do was pick his head up, take a stride, and make a pass to clear the zone. Instead he blindly tries to hoist it over the blue line, right into a Coyote. 40 seconds later, Laughton gets called for a penalty. Shocking, I know.

Provorov: continuing to play well. He did have that brutal turnover but he made some really good "Provorov plays"
  • Fended off two Coyotes behind the net, one handed it to the winger at the half boards for the easy out
  • Jumped up on the play for the semi breakaway, drew a penalty
  • Gathered the puck whipping around the dasher in would-be forechecking traffic to spin it around behind the net, all in one motion, to relieve pressure
  • Made a nice pinch down below the circle on the boards to keep the cycle alive
Hagg: it's funny, because Provorov on my last bullet point up there pinches and keeps the play alive, and Hagg 15 seconds later pinches, stutters as the puck rattles around his skates, then waves at it as it's poked past him by a Coyote. Like back in 2nd grade playing kickball when the athletic kid belts a ball over everyone's head for the easy home run, then his chubby friend comes up, tries to do the same thing, but muffin kicks it 2 feet off the ground right back to the pitcher who catches it. Night and day. Offense dies on his stick. Shocking, I know.

Patrick: couldn't finish on the breakaway, shocking I know, but the breakaway speed was impressive and promising. His defensive game has really improved this year. The kid makes great defensive reads and is in a good, disruptive spot more often than not. At least once a game you see a real nice stick lift/steal, and this one was no different. He picked Galchenyuk from behind to cause a NZ rush.

Sanheim: that 3rd goal. omg.
  • Instinctively jumped on the puck. That's the word the coach used right? How bout those instincts to launch forward, make the heady short pass in the NZ, keep driving the net looking for the give and go, and make another great pass to Giroux. Just out of his reach. All's well that ends well though
  • Just by memory, I'd say Sanheim's egregious turnovers/60 is very low. Just something to throw out there
Folin: The man is much better than AMac. But so am I. While we're on the topic of great plays-
  • He jumped up in front of our blue line to try to smoke OEL, which was easily sidestepped and turned into a quick scoring chance as Folin was coming back into play, leading to an icing
  • Then needlessly iced the puck off the ensuing defensive faceoff
  • Then got a holding penalty after the second ensuing defensive faceoff
Pickard: he made a difference tonight. That isn't to say he stood on his head or if it wasn't for him they would have lost or anything like that, but he made some good saves, a few great saves, and some timely saves tonight. Competent goaltending makes this team look that much different.

The Coyotes PK...imagine seeing our team send a man hard on the puck and then have a player half support him? Man, one can dream. It's like it's not a crime to move your f***ing feet on the PK! Who knew?! Meanwhile, our guys watch an opponent rip another one past the goalie with no sense of urgency. At all. Shocking, I know. They even do it on the 6-5! All in all they played well tonight. Still too many egregious turnovers but I thought the NZ play was pretty well executed and they didn't look like pansies defending their blue line. Sanheim and Gudas still need to play more. Hakshell still needs to stop. But you can't be too picky

oKo4TkW.gif

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Stars saving the coach again.

Great game by them, in spite of Hakstol's best efforts.

Speaking of which:

Sanheim 13:41
Hagg 19:55
Folin 18:55

and

Weise 17:22
Patrick 17:30
Lindblom 13:04
TK 14:21

Hagg absolutely deserves the ice time. He’s proving a lot of people wrong this season, he’s taken a major step forward.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Weird season so far. For as poor as we’ve been until this road trip we’re only three points off the divisional lead. This division is ours for the taking.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Hagg absolutely deserves the ice time. He’s proving a lot of people wrong this season, he’s taken a major step forward.

Not really. He’s still getting smoked in possession & all that just like last year. His underlying numbers are basically a carbon copy of last year. He’s just shooting a personal 12.5% right now which isn’t sustainable at all for a defensemen. He’s got a PDO of 1.025 at 5v5 right now too that will more than likely drop some as time goes on.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Last night was an example of why just regular stats don't tell the whole story. Looking at them, it looks like Sanheim had no impact on the game since he had no points and the least ice time. Yet 2 of our goals don't happen without him.

You just know Hak is itching to get AMac back in the lineup so as soon as a Dman has a bad game, they are out. Well...not Provy, Hagg and Ghost.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Which is how Hagg started last year too, but the heater wasn't personal. So for the second year in a row, this isn't sustainable no matter how much you like his hair.

Bro. Sales engineers make way way way more

We can never find enough technical sales people either. It's a fantstic niche if you're capable. Those two major qualifications don't exist in the same person that often.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Weird season so far. For as poor as we’ve been until this road trip we’re only three points off the divisional lead. This division is ours for the taking.
I hate to crap on your optimism but let me tell you how this season will playout: the Flyers will either just miss the playoffs or just make it on the last weekend of the season only to get blown out in the first round. The reason I know this is because I seen the same crap the prior 3 years and the fundamentals haven’t changed. A nice 4 game round trip doesn’t change that just like a 10 game winning streak nor a 10 game losing streak didn’t change that in the past.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

This won’t help you ****face.

When asked, Hakstol said he doesn't remember how they got on his feet but that they feel... mellow, then paused as though to wonder where that word came from. Hakstol then turned abruptly and walked away while seeming to pull an orange strand of yarn from his hair and bury it in h8s pocket.

Rodu58

Nov 12, 2017
The Galchenyuk goal is everything wrong with the PK, letting him shoot uncontested from where he did, and the other forward giving Pickard a lap dance while the defenseman is several feet away and just hanging out taking it all in

Reactions: Tripod and Foggy14

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
The Galchenyuk goal is everything wrong with the PK, letting him shoot uncontested from where he did, and the other forward giving Pickard a lap dance while the defenseman is several feet away and just hanging out taking it all in
And every other PK goal we allow is the same. IDK how Lappy or Hak can watch that PK and think the system is fine. It's mindboggling.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
It's not about the results but the process. We are still seeing same stupid **** we have seen for last 3+ seasons.

That is the issue really.

In my mind there are only really two proper "problems" with this team when on the ice.

That is the PK and the 5v5 offense.

Why? Because everything else has had it's ups and downs over the last few years... but these two areas seem systematically broken. Yet nothing has really been changed.

Yeh, the usage of some players can be infuriating... but in a year or so it should not matter too much given organisational depth.

Can they compete in spite of these problems? Yes, with the talent they have + have coming.

But it makes it a lot harder.

1. Only one team in the last 25 seasons has won a cup with a PK under 80%... it was at 79.77%.

2. Last eleven cup winners in terms of 5v5 GF/60 rank:

WSH: 7th
PIT: 1st
PIT: 5th
CHI: 14th
LAK: 26th
CHI: 2nd
LAK: 29th
BOS: 2nd
CHI: 2nd
PIT: 2nd
DET: 7th

Before the in 5v5 GF:

ANA: 8th
CAR: 3rd
TBL: 3rd
NJD: 14th
DET: 2nd
COL: 4th
NJD: 2nd
DAL: 8th
DET: 2nd
DET: 6th
COL: 2nd
NJD: 13th
NYR: 4th
MTL: 9th

L.A. have been the outlier, not the norm, only team in 25 years (albeit x2) to be a below average offensive team at 5v5 and win cups...

20/25 have been top 10 in NHL 5v5 scoring in the season they won.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad