Speculation: 15/16 Roster Discussion (NHL.com projects Panthers starting lineup)

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Hello everyone just checking in to see what expectations are for the Ex-Hawks on roster

Is Olsen still struggling? I just don't see him as anything more then AHL/NHL tweener at this point especially if his skating is still issue

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
since crouse is going to get a 9-game tryout id prefer he was paired on the 3rd line with bolland and jussi.

11 forward spots are locked up including Trocheck and Grimaldi. That leaves 3 openings and you have Crouse, Harper, and Brickley? I like Harper a lot but his minutes in his last game played were not sufficient IMO to make the cut. I think Howden gets the nod over Harper.

You have the two PTO guys not making it. That's possible but I think if they do cut Booth they will sign him if Crouse gets the 9 games and doesn't impress. I just get a feeling that Crouse (unless he shows more offensive upside) is destined for another year in juniors.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Hello everyone just checking in to see what expectations are for the Ex-Hawks on roster

Is Olsen still struggling? I just don't see him as anything more then AHL/NHL tweener at this point especially if his skating is still issue
I think he needs to show a year of solid stability in the AHL and then he will get a chance to compete again at the NHL level. He just hasn't been given the minutes in pre-season to give me the impression the Cats plan to keep him.

Petrovic had a very lazy play at the end of 3 on 3 the other night, and I would bet the coaches aren't happy. I think he will be on a short leash for awhile and if his attitude doesn't change, they may bring up Matheson or Racine. Petrovic is sadly mistaken if he thinks because he is on a one way that his future is secure in the NHL.

Last edited:

Erased

Jun 18, 2014
I think he needs to show a year of solid stability in the AHL and then he will get a chance to compete again at the NHL level. He just hasn't been given the minutes in pre-season to give me the impression the Cats plan to keep him.

Petrovic had a very lazy play at the end of 3 on 3 the other night, and I would bet the coaches aren't happy. I think he will be on a short leash for awhile and if his attitude doesn't change, they may bring up Matheson or Racine. Petrovic is sadly mistaken if he thinks because he is on a one way that his future is secure in the NHL.

Honestly it probably is. He has shown some flashes here and there and has proven himself to be a tough SOB. It wouldn't surprise me at all if a team that was soft on the back end made a claim when Tallon tries to send him down.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
Hey Guys!!

Looking for some infos on Pirri for my upcomig drafts. Would you say he's a quasi-lock for the top 6 and 2nd pp or there's still good chances that Jokinen or another player steal his spot on the 2nd line and pp!!??

What can a realistic projection for him!!?? 20-25g and 40-45pts!!??

Thanks alot

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
Hey Guys!!

Looking for some infos on Pirri for my upcomig drafts. Would you say he's a quasi-lock for the top 6 and 2nd pp or there's still good chances that Jokinen or another player steal his spot on the 2nd line and pp!!??

What can a realistic projection for him!!?? 20-25g and 40-45pts!!??

Thanks alot

He'll absolutely get 2nd line PP time (so will Jokinen) and will likely start the year in the top 6 with Bjugstad and Smith. There's a chance that Pirri could end up on the third line, but Gallant likes to roll every line pretty evenly, so he'll still have opportunities to score if that happens. Most Panther fans expect him to get ~25 goals and maybe 10-15 assists.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
He'll absolutely get 2nd line PP time (so will Jokinen) and will likely start the year in the top 6 with Bjugstad and Smith. There's a chance that Pirri could end up on the third line, but Gallant likes to roll every line pretty evenly, so he'll still have opportunities to score if that happens. Most Panther fans expect him to get ~25 goals and maybe 10-15 assists.

Thanks alot!!

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
assuming we sign havlat (because, ya know, tallon):

Huberdeau-Barkov-Jagr
Pirri-Bjugstad-Smith
Crouse-Bolland-Jokinen
Brickley-MacKenzie-Grimaldi

Campbell-Ekblad
Kulikov-Petrovic
Mitchell-Gudbranson

Luongo
Montoya

(Thornton + Havlat + Trocheck)

thats 23. then when crouse gets sent down slot havlat with his former chicago teammate in bolland on the 3rd? i hope we don't sign him and id much rather grimaldi on the 3rd when crouse gets sent back down, lets see what happens with havlat.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
I wish that Crouse wasn't promised the 9 games. He definitely shouldn't be starting in place of Tro or Brick. He should just be sent back to Kingston after this last pre-season game.

-ghoste

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
He's on a one way contract isn't he? Pretty sure one way means they need to pass through waivers.

No one way means his cap hit is the same whether he is in the AHL or with the team, 2 way means cap hit decreases (actual salary does as well)

Check out hockeyscap.com it tells you who is Waiver exempt. Typically players on ELC are exempt (Barkov and Huberdeau) while players like Crouse who is junior eligible become ineligible after 9 games.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
assuming we sign havlat (because, ya know, tallon):

Huberdeau-Barkov-Jagr
Pirri-Bjugstad-Smith
Crouse-Bolland-Jokinen
Brickley-MacKenzie-Grimaldi

Campbell-Ekblad
Kulikov-Petrovic
Mitchell-Gudbranson

Luongo
Montoya

(Thornton + Havlat + Trocheck)

thats 23. then when crouse gets sent down slot havlat with his former chicago teammate in bolland on the 3rd? i hope we don't sign him and id much rather grimaldi on the 3rd when crouse gets sent back down, lets see what happens with havlat.

I agree with most of it, but there's no way at this point that Grimaldi or Brickley are in the lineup ahead of Trocheck.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Opening night lineup for the 2014 - 2015 season:
Huberdeau - Barkov - Jokinen
Upshall - Bjugstad - Boyes
Bergenheim - Bolland - Fleischmann
Kopecky - MacKenzie - Thornton

And the one of the projected opening night lineups for the 2015 - 2016 season:
Huberdeau - Barkov - Jagr
Pirri - Bjugstad - Smith
Jokinen - Bolland - Trocheck
Howden - MacKenzie - Brickley

Later on Hayes would come along and he was a big part of last season's lineup, but at this point, it looks much better to me going into this season (on paper at least).

Defensive pairing, just to compare:
2014:
Campbell - Ekblad
Mitchell - Kulikov
Olsen - Gudbranson

2015:
Campbell - Ekblad
Mitchell - Gudbranson
Kulikov - Petrovic

Not much difference, just switch out Olsen for Petrovic.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Check out hockeyscap.com it tells you who is Waiver exempt. Typically players on ELC are exempt (Barkov and Huberdeau) while players like Crouse who is junior eligible become ineligible after 9 games.
Actually, the 10 games is just the limit when a junior eligible player's contract can't slide.

So we can still send Crouse back to Kingston after he's done 10+ games, it would just mean that a year of his ELC has been burned. Buffalo did this with Grigorenko a few years back, for whatever reason.

oOwlCat

FL > TN
Jun 24, 2010
Nashville, TN
What's up with Kampfer? Portland?

Edit: Nvm, he's still on the roster. IIRC, Tallon said that he is pretty much a lock to make the team, as he can play both D and FWD

Last edited:

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014

Edit: Nvm, he's still on the roster. IIRC, Tallon said that he is pretty much a lock to make the team, as he can play both D and FWD

but we don't need anymore forwards lol.

huberdeau - barkov - jagr
pirri - bjugstad - smith
***** - bolland - ******
***** - mackenzie - ******

four spots left for havlat, trocheck, grimaldi, howden, crouse, brickley, thornton & kampfer.
good competition for those spots imo.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008

IMO he's the 7th D-man. Olsen probably gets waived once he's in better shape

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Actually, the 10 games is just the limit when a junior eligible player's contract can't slide.

So we can still send Crouse back to Kingston after he's done 10+ games, it would just mean that a year of his ELC has been burned. Buffalo did this with Grigorenko a few years back, for whatever reason.

Oh thats right. Still a terrible waste. Didnt Sam Bennett go through the same thing last year.

Swede93

Sep 14, 2009
but we don't need anymore forwards lol.

huberdeau - barkov - jagr
pirri - bjugstad - smith
jokinen - bolland - ******
***** - mackenzie - ******

four spots left for havlat, trocheck, grimaldi, howden, crouse, brickley, thornton & kampfer.
good competition for those spots imo.

Don't forget Jokinen. That leaves three spots left, though I'd imagine it's pretty safe to say tro will crack the lineup (probably on that third line). Also, just because they keep Crouse for a 9 game stint doesn't mean he has to play the first 9 consecutive games. They can always cycle him in and out of the line up if they think being around the team and learning the pro game at a steady pace is more beneficial to him than returning to Kingston right away.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Crouse getting his 9 games is definitely advantageous. That experience should serve him well in the future, can't just think about this year.

After Havlat is cut and Crouse done with his 9 games, there really isn't that much of a logjam anymore. Thornton will anyway play just a handful of games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad