Speculation: 15/16 Roster Discussion (NHL.com projects Panthers starting lineup)

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
Top 6 I agree but bottom 6 should be:

Bolland-Tro-Jussi
Brickley-Dmac-Howden/Booth

I agree with you. I think Brickley has done more to show he deserves a spot on the team and Grimaldi still has not done that yet this pre-season. He really hurt his ankle at the worst possible time.

I wouldn't mind if Booth makes the team but his game reminds me a lot of Skille's. Skate the puck quickly up the boards and then promptly lose possession of it in the corner or behind the net.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I agree with you. I think Brickley has done more to show he deserves a spot on the team and Grimaldi still has not done that yet this pre-season. He really hurt his ankle at the worst possible time.

I wouldn't mind if Booth makes the team but his game reminds me a lot of Skille's. Skate the puck quickly up the boards and then promptly lose possession of it in the corner or behind the net.

I wouldn't mind the team signing Booth as the 13th forward. Thornton doesn't really count.

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
I would just play Thornton in the games that we might need some toughness in the lineup. Maybe 1/4 of them such as Opening Night against the Flyers or against the Bruins. Otherwise, if he's not going to help in the scoring department, I'd rather see Booth/Brickley take that last spot if it comes down to it.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I would just play Thornton in the games that we might need some toughness in the lineup. Maybe 1/4 of them such as Opening Night against the Flyers or against the Bruins. Otherwise, if he's not going to help in the scoring department, I'd rather see Booth/Brickley take that last spot if it comes down to it.

Do the Flyers have a tough guy anymore? Ryan White? Dunno if Thornton can get him to drop the gloves.

Thornton is a tough dude, but I feel like we got him on the downside of his career, similar to Parros. Once a good fighter and 4th line skilled forward, now is just a slow plug, who doesn't hit or fight much.

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
Do the Flyers have a tough guy anymore? Ryan White? Dunno if Thornton can get him to drop the gloves.

Thornton is a tough dude, but I feel like we got him on the downside of his career, similar to Parros. Once a good fighter and 4th line skilled forward, now is just a slow plug, who doesn't hit or fight much.

This is true. They don't have Rinaldo anymore. They still play with a tough style of play, but nowhere as close as in the past. The Bruins are probably overrated in the physical department as well. The whole league has become less tougher as a whole, which is why enforcers are being phased out.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
after all the possible scenarios i think ive decided on:

Huberdeau-Barkov-Jagr
Pirri-Bjugstad-Smith
Jokinen-Trocheck-Bolland
Brickley-MacKenzie-Thornton/Grimaldi (thornton against more physical teams, grimaldi for skill)

trocheck is better suited at center than wing, i don't see why bolland would HAVE to play center and i believe he has a little experience on the wing (he'll get injured either way), trocheck was paired with jussi last game and jussi and bolland are used to play with each other so i think that line could work. if trocheck gets hurt bolland can slide back to center, if bolland gets injured then trocheck stays where he is and grimaldi slides up to the 3rd. if the 2nd line isnt clicking just swap pirri and jussi. i want brickley up full-time, mac, plus grimaldi or thornton depending on the matchup for the 4th. booth on a 2-way as a call up, howden as a call up too, havlat released.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
My only tweek is what you might guess.

Huberdeau-Barkov-jagr
Pirri-Bjugstad-Smith
Jokinen--Trocheck -Grimaldi
Booth-Mackenzie-Bolland

Since trocheck suffers as a wing, and bolland is not a good FO person, i think logic dictates this.
We have no idea how Bolland is as a winger, so the same logic could be applied to him as well. He played one game last season as a winger, maybe? Or Mac played as a winger on his line, I don't remember anymore. For all we know, Bolland might be similar to Trocheck in that matter and that's why they haven't bothered to try him as a winger.

Point being, that usually the more offensive gifted player is easier to transfer to wing. Trocheck is clearly gifted offensively, but I'm still not buying his all-around game to cut as a regular NHL center.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
If Bolland is being moved to wing because he can't win draws (which I feel is a ridiculous reason to do so) why is he being replaced with Trocheck, who has also shown zero ability to win faceoffs thus far in his career?

Career faceoff averages-

Bolland 46.1%
Trocheck- 48.6%
Jokinen-53%

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
We have no idea how Bolland is as a winger, so the same logic could be applied to him as well. He played one game last season as a winger, maybe? Or Mac played as a winger on his line, I don't remember anymore. For all we know, Bolland might be similar to Trocheck in that matter and that's why they haven't bothered to try him as a winger.

Point being, that usually the more offensive gifted player is easier to transfer to wing. Trocheck is clearly gifted offensively, but I'm still not buying his all-around game to cut as a regular NHL center.

Nor I bolland's anymore, so we will continue to agree to disagree on this.

Heres to each scoring 40 points and proving us both wrong...which if occurs i guarantee we made the playoffs.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
You know what's interesting, I dont know maybe Im just weird but...

Bolland - Jokinen - Trocheck

Looks better than Jokinen - Bolland/Trocheck - Trocheck/Bolland

Better Yet

Brickley/Grimaldi - Jokinen - Trocheck

Booth/Brickley - Bolland/Dmac - Dmac/ Bolland

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Nor I bolland's anymore, so we will continue to agree to disagree on this.

Heres to each scoring 40 points and proving us both wrong...which if occurs i guarantee we made the playoffs.
Anymore? I still can't see what has supposedly changed in Bolland's game? He was on pace for his career average and was our 2nd most important defensive forward after Barkov. Compare that to Trocheck, who's made little-to-no progress on his defensive play in the past 2 seasons.

I'd understand if Bolland's game had really fallen off compared to previous seasons, but it hasn't. He's overpaid, injury prone and takes stupid penalties at times, yes, but other than that, what is there to dislike about him?

Also, notice how I'm not afraid to admit Bolland's faults? That's how you know that I'm not "biased", I've got nothing against Trocheck and wish him all the best, but the kid is miles behind Bolland as far as defensive play goes. There's much more to hockey than points and offensive potential, in today's NHL where the leading scorer barely does PPG.

ZamBroni

Dec 15, 2014
Ft. Lauderdale
Bolland doesn't belong on the third line with his stupid penalties, horrible faceoff percentage, and negative dCorsi/60. His offense isn't nearly good enough to make up for it. Not to mention when he inevitably gets injured it will be easier for someone to step into a 4th line role rather than a 3rd line center role. Hopefully Gallant knows what the Sunk Cost Fallacy is and isn't afraid to scratch him if necessary.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
Why does Bolland being bad at faceoffs disqualify him from being on the third line? Someone else can take the faceoffs for him, no? I don't think that should be a factor in this decision.

ZamBroni

Dec 15, 2014
Ft. Lauderdale
Why does Bolland being bad at faceoffs disqualify him from being on the third line? Someone else can take the faceoffs for him, no? I don't think that should be a factor in this decision.

Sure you could have Jokenin take faceoffs (assuming that doesn't hurt defensive positioning, idk if it does) but even if he's not taking faceoffs I don't believe he's a 3rd line talent. I'd much rather put someone like Trochek at 3C and see if he can develop further. No need to suppress his offensive potential on the 4th line.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
after all the possible scenarios i think ive decided on:

S - Huberdeau-Barkov-Jagr
A - Pirri-Bjugstad-Smith
F - Jokinen-Trocheck-Bolland
E - Brickley-MacKenzie-Thornton/Grimaldi (thornton against more physical teams, grimaldi for skill)

trocheck is better suited at center than wing, i don't see why bolland would HAVE to play center and i believe he has a little experience on the wing (he'll get injured either way), trocheck was paired with jussi last game and jussi and bolland are used to play with each other so i think that line could work. if trocheck gets hurt bolland can slide back to center, if bolland gets injured then trocheck stays where he is and grimaldi slides up to the 3rd. if the 2nd line isnt clicking just swap pirri and jussi. i want brickley up full-time, mac, plus grimaldi or thornton depending on the matchup for the 4th. booth on a 2-way as a call up, howden as a call up too, havlat released.

I think that is the SAFE pick for the opening night lineup as 3/4 of the lines have two vets on each line. I'd prefer the bolded swap but other than that, I agree with everything you said.

Grimaldi is the puzzle piece, I'd prefer him on the 3rd but with GG rolling 4 lines, maybe sheltered 4th line minutes is the smart play? Injuries are inevitable and he will get a fair bit of ice time. I feel management believe RG has the potential to be a 1st line winger with #11 and #16 in the near future when JJ is done.

Erased

Jun 18, 2014
I think that is the SAFE pick for the opening night lineup as 3/4 of the lines have two vets on each line. I'd prefer the bolded swap but other than that, I agree with everything you said.

Grimaldi is the puzzle piece, I'd prefer him on the 3rd but with GG rolling 4 lines, maybe sheltered 4th line minutes is the smart play? Injuries are inevitable and he will get a fair bit of ice time. I feel management believe RG has the potential to be a 1st line winger with #11 and #16 in the near future when JJ is done.

This is really Bjugstad's 3rd season. He only played about 10 games in 2013. Tallon burned a year off of his contract to make sure he didnt return for his senior year, same as he did with Matheson and Rau last year.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
This is really Bjugstad's 3rd season. He only played about 10 games in 2013. Tallon burned a year off of his contract to make sure he didnt return for his senior year, same as he did with Matheson and Rau last year.

True, I think I read it was his "4th". Maybe that's why I felt he should be considered a vet but even Huberdeau is streatching it as a vet. You agree with the lines though, they make sense right?

Erased

Jun 18, 2014
True, I think I read it was his "4th". Maybe that's why I felt he should be considered a vet but even Huberdeau is streatching it as a vet. You agree with the lines though, they make sense right?

It does make sense, but when it comes to the lines I would be less interested in having a veteran everywhere and more interested in how those lines are used. Gallant loved using Bollands line in a shutdown role last year with him seeing the second fewest offensive starts behind only Barkov. Designing a pure shutdown line from the available players in our bottom 6 i personally think it would be best to have Bolland playing with Dmac who was our best faceoff man last year. The second wing spot would be the question for that line. Jokinen or Crouse would probably fit the role best, but Crouse will likely be sent back down. It would be tough to put all of our rookies on one line, but using them as our 4th line and giving them good matchups could also lead to good things. I'm kind of at a toss up right now between throwing caution to the wind with the 4th line or saving Jokinen and letting one of Brickley or Grimaldi try the shutdown role.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
It does make sense, but when it comes to the lines I would be less interested in having a veteran everywhere and more interested in how those lines are used. Gallant loved using Bollands line in a shutdown role last year with him seeing the second fewest offensive starts behind only Barkov. Designing a pure shutdown line from the available players in our bottom 6 i personally think it would be best to have Bolland playing with Dmac who was our best faceoff man last year. The second wing spot would be the question for that line. Jokinen or Crouse would probably fit the role best, but Crouse will likely be sent back down. It would be tough to put all of our rookies on one line, but using them as our 4th line and giving them good matchups could also lead to good things. I'm kind of at a toss up right now between throwing caution to the wind with the 4th line or saving Jokinen and letting one of Brickley or Grimaldi try the shutdown role.

I want Grimaldi to play on the fourth with MacKenzie and whoever is on the left wing. St. Louis credits a lot of his success to his time in a shutdown role in Calgary which taught him a lot about the defensive side of hockey. Grimaldi is extremely raw in that area and it could help him take his game to the next level.

Erased

Jun 18, 2014
I want Grimaldi to play on the fourth with MacKenzie and whoever is on the left wing. St. Louis credits a lot of his success to his time in a shutdown role in Calgary which taught him a lot about the defensive side of hockey. Grimaldi is extremely raw in that area and it could help him take his game to the next level.

Then why not Dmac-Bolland-Grimaldi? Bolland's line will be used as a shutdown line, thats just what he is here for, Dmac should be there because he is the only one who can take a face off and Grimaldi will bring speed and a level of unpradictability while working on his defensive game. That leaves Jokinen-Trocheck-Brickley as the energy line.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
since crouse is going to get a 9-game tryout id prefer he was paired on the 3rd line with bolland and jussi. i want to see if we can get that pirri-bjugstad-smith line going from the start, even though they'll probably want to pair crouse with bjugstad. I'm fine with pirri next to bolland so its not too big of a deal but id still prefer crouse on the 3rd. wouldnt be bad to skate with 2 veterans like bolland and jussi anyways and they wouldnt be relied upon as heavily on the offensive side of things either, less minutes as well, 2nd line minutes might be too much right now. but when he gets sent down how about something different:

Jokinen-Bolland-Grimaldi
Brickley-MacKenzie-Harper

maybe they just save trocheck for when a center goes down if theyre not crazy about having him on the wing.

i think this would be the most straight forward lineup. when crouse gets sent down you have the 1st line obviously intact, you have that scoring 2nd line together, bolland gets to stay at center, jussi gets to stay at lw (no playing on the off wing) and they both remain paired with each other, mackenzie stays at center, brickley at lw. grimaldi, coming off his ankle injury, will get 9-games on the 4th as crouse is playing in the top-9, this will allow him to get up to speed and ease him into the lineup, then when crouse gets sent down move grimaldi up to the 3rd. harper has looked solid this camp, he scored over 30 goals last year in the ahl, and has 5 years of pro level experience between his echl/ahl time, don't see what would be wrong with having that as a 4th line. booth will be in portland on a 2-way ready as a callup, howden ready as a callup, thornton for rw depth and can play over harper in more physical match ups, and trocheck will be ready when a center goes down (or if a rw goes down, he's always an option. if harper on the 4th gets injured then thornton replaces him, if a top-9 rw gets injured before a center does then keep harper on the 4th and throw trocheck there for the time being).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad