Speculation: 15/16 Roster Discussion (NHL.com projects Panthers starting lineup)

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013

So reading GR and his responses the Panthers are according to Dale at 65.5 million without RFA signings, meaning the team is done. Is a roster similar to this/including these players playoff bound?

Huberdeau-Barkov-Jagr
Jokinen-Bjugstad-Smith
Pirri-Bolland-Trocheck
Howden-Mack-Grimaldi

Ekblad-Campbell
Gudbranson-Mitchell
Kulikov-Petrovic

Luongo
Montoya

(these lines are just for reference)

Last edited:

RatKingBolland*

So reading GR and his responses the Panthers are according to Dale at 65.5 million without RFA signings, meaning the team is done. Is a roster similar to this playoff bound?

Huberdeau-Barkov-Jagr
Jokinen-Bjugstad-Smith
Pirri-Bolland-Trocheck
Howden-Mack-Grimaldi

Ekblad-Campbell
Gudbranson-Mitchell
Kulikov-Petrovic

Luongo
Montoya

(these lines are just for reference)

The amount of good luck coming your way depends on your willingness to act. With that said no matter what i will cheer for the team like any other year. I think we can make it but it will take a hell of an effort to make the jump.

KittysGotClaws

We See Red
Dec 17, 2008
N of BB&T
No. If anything, we are barely marginally better than last year. Jagr can't possibly keep up the pace from last year's stint for an entire 82 games (don't forget how badly he was struggling in NJ for much of last season). Columbus is going to be a ton better, so it's going to be even harder to make the playoffs. My thoughts...

Metro:
1) PIT (but not necessarily far in the playoffs)
2) NYR
3) CBJ
4) WSH*
5) NYI*

Atlantic
1) TB
2) MTL
3) DET
4) FLA
5) OTT

Just outside the playoffs, again.

Desert Panther

Resident Lurker
Jun 23, 2002
Frisco, TX
Visit site
I'm not so sure there isn't one more move coming for additional scoring from the wings. We all know that DT is one of the best at keeping a poker face so I still think there is something cooking for the right price.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
I still must be confused on how LTIR works. Right now Savard's contract counts against the cap, but once Tallon puts him on LTIR the team gets an additional $4m of cap space, right? So the team should technically be around $61m not counting the RFAs, right?

Edit: And can someone explain how bonuses are counted against the cap? I know Rocco, Trocheck, Barkov, and Ekblad have some kind of bonuses built in, and I imagine others do as well.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I still must be confused on how LTIR works. Right now Savard's contract counts against the cap, but once Tallon puts him on LTIR the team gets an additional $4m of cap space, right? So the team should technically be around $61m not counting the RFAs, right?

I think that can only happen at the beginning of the season.

Desert Panther

Resident Lurker
Jun 23, 2002
Frisco, TX
Visit site
in before that move involves Huberdeau

Huby was never going to be moved and don't let any of those delusional TML fans tell you different. There was a wide gulf between what they thought they were getting for Kessel and what they got.

That said, there are still 2 or 3 scoring wingers on the market either by trade or UFA (Stewart or Ward are still out there)

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Huby was never going to be moved and don't let any of those delusional TML fans tell you different. There was a wide gulf between what they thought they were getting for Kessel and what they got.

That said, there are still 2 or 3 scoring wingers on the market either by trade or UFA (Stewart or Ward are still out there)

Oh, I didn't know there WAS a rumor he was going to be moved.

I just have that sick-assed feeling in my stomach, so many RFAs have been moved due to offer sheet threats or not

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL

I wouldn't really consider either one a scoring winger. I'd rather go after Sharp or Steal (assuming the price is right).

I find the whole thing kind of confusing tbh. :laugh:

:laugh: No kidding. Being a capologist would be a pretty awesome job, but I'm sure it's complicated as Hell.

Desert Panther

Resident Lurker
Jun 23, 2002
Frisco, TX
Visit site
Oh, I didn't know there WAS a rumor he was going to be moved.

I just have that sick-assed feeling in my stomach, so many RFAs have been moved due to offer sheet threats or not

There was some stupidity about him being involved in a Kessel deal early on by a certain hack who shall remain nameless. And the difference between the Boston and Chicago deals with Hamilton and Saad and anything involving Huby is that we aren't in a full rebuild nor are we short on cap space.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I wouldn't really consider either one a scoring winger. I'd rather go after Sharp or Steal (assuming the price is right).

:laugh: No kidding. Being a capologist would be a pretty awesome job, but I'm sure it's complicated as Hell.

I think, it just forces the salary to count against the cap for the duration of the summer, thus not allowing trades or signings that will make it exceed the cap. almost like a handicap.

once the season starts, it falls off the total cap, and the "handicap" falls off.

I think, who knows.

Desert Panther

Resident Lurker
Jun 23, 2002
Frisco, TX
Visit site

So would I, but both Stewart or Ward would be an potential upgrade to the top 6 over an unproven kid like Grimaldi or a potential flash in the pan like Pirri and it wouldn't cost us anything short of a signing to get them. Sharp would be ideal but if the price is still ri"donk"ulous, I wouldn't give up anything of major value for him.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
There was some stupidity about him being involved in a Kessel deal early on by a certain hack who shall remain nameless. And the difference between the Boston and Chicago deals with Hamilton and Saad and anything involving Huby is that we aren't in a full rebuild nor are we short on cap space.

That's fine. my fear is someone offersheets Huberdeau to something north of 6, and Tallon won't match it, affordable or not

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
I'll admit that I voted yes, they will make the playoffs. I see the core group with another year of experience and I believe that they will progress thereby surpassing the 91 points they accumulated last season.

Could a seasoned vet be brought in to help Bjugstad like Jagr helped Huberdeau and Barkov? Maybe, but Bjugstad was heading towards a 30+ goal season and should be another year stronger. I don't think he needs someone to help him achieve what he is capable of doing.

Until Thanksgiving I will not give up hope. Too early right now.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I think, it just forces the salary to count against the cap for the duration of the summer, thus not allowing trades or signings that will make it exceed the cap. almost like a handicap.

once the season starts, it falls off the total cap, and the "handicap" falls off.

I think, who knows.

You can be 10% over the cap (including Savard) That doesn't leave enough room for Sharp or anyone really, after paying RFAs. I didn't imagine bonuses would count :(

RatKingBolland*

Season: 2014/2015

4. Ottawa: 82GP 43W 26L 13OTL 99P 238GF 215GA +23Diff

6. Panthers: 82GP 38W 29L 15OTL 91P 206GF 223GA -17Diff

You tell me if we can make that jump.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
Nope with the major caveat being that one of our key players getting injured long term gives an out-clause/proverbial crutch to lean on for the apologists to argue against us hardliners as to why we did not make progress.

"We promise! You'll see Next Year will be our year. You'll see this summer will be different. You'll see this owner will be great. You'll see this player will be better than his predecessor."

This mediocrity is getting ridiculous. The excuses are getting old.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
No. If anything, we are barely marginally better than last year. Jagr can't possibly keep up the pace from last year's stint for an entire 82 games (don't forget how badly he was struggling in NJ for much of last season). Columbus is going to be a ton better, so it's going to be even harder to make the playoffs. My thoughts...

Metro:
1) PIT (but not necessarily far in the playoffs)
2) NYR
3) CBJ
4) WSH*
5) NYI*

Atlantic
1) TB
2) MTL
3) DET
4) FLA
5) OTT

Just outside the playoffs, again.
Montreal relies on Price too much, if he has an average season, they're screwed. So I wouldn't consider them a lock at all.

Detroit lost Babcock and their core is starting to get old. They've been close to missing for a few years now and they only finished 1 point ahead of Ottawa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad