Post-Game Talk: #14: FLYERS 3 at Sharks 4 (OT), Saturday, Nov. 3, 2018, 10:30 p.m. ET

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
Let me guess - the contrarians are out in farce ... excuse me, force, with their reality-denying brain vomit all in the service of appearing superior as they stand alone on their high-altitude islands despite the fact that every single person with an iota of common sense can see straight through what can only at this point be considered trolling - am I close?

41zmSmz.jpg

Why is there a horn coming out of Weise's head?

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Why is there a horn coming out of Weise's head?

That's not Weise - even though Hak is riding Weise in real life, in the fantasy world of my pics, I have given Hak a poonicorn to ride instead. It is more positive and less complain-y, because while poonicorns do not poop Skittles like unicorns (they poop gravy), they are still by and large a positive force, or rather a "poositive" force. Everybody poops.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
That's not Weise - even though Hak is riding Weise in real life, in the fantasy world of my pics, I have given Hak a poonicorn to ride instead. It is more positive and less complain-y, because while poonicorns do not poop Skittles like unicorns (they poop gravy), they are still by and large a positive force, or rather a "poositive" force. Everybody poops.

I wasn't aware of the difference in behaviour, but the similarity of appearance is uncanny. You'll understand my confusion, I hope.

CerpinTaxt

Apr 1, 2009
KY
Let me guess, they sat back in the 3rd in the Hak-shell and got caved in until the Sharks finally tied it? Let me also guess that he started decreasing ice time for young players and leaning on his H E A V Y veterans?

#HakstolHockey in a nut shell.

Add another to the "Points Lost to Stupidity" thread.
Unfortunately its Hextall hockey too. He stands by this garbage with a smile on his face.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Who has more bad turnovers with the lead than Ghost, Provorov & Voracek? This isn’t about their so-called “bad” players killing them (aside from goaltending). It’s frequently a so-called “Star”who screws up late in games. See last night for another in a long line of examples.

You’re really overstating the impact of system changes (aka take fewer risks, which the “good” players seem to ignore, anyway) & underrating the impact other teams have when behind in the 3rd.

I consider those dumps with feeble pressure a turnover. Because that's all they accomplish.

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
If you looked at most teams with a lead in the 3rd period, I guarantee you on average they'll be out shot, because the losing team will take more chances to get scoring opportunities. Problem is when you get the high danger scoring chances when the other team gambles, you have to convert.

The nitpicking gets ridiculous, Folin had a great game, Gudas/Sanheim were putrid in the 1st period, turning the puck over left and right (as did a number of other favorite veterans). Provorov is playing much better with Hagg. It's working right now.

Now do I think Folin is a top 4 defenseman? Nah, not in the long-run, same way I don't think Hagg is either. But putting Hagg with Provorov allows Provorov to be the lead dog, which is aiding his development, and Ghost with Folin allows Ghost to get comfortable as a LHD again. Down the road, when Myers and Friedman come up, that will make it easier to matchup defensemen. Though at some point Hextall will need to package a LHD and picks/prospects for another RHD to balance this group going forward. Unless you think Wylie is NHL top four defenseman material.

I'm not worried about NAK's minutes right now, who you gonna sit for him? TK, Voracek? The Weise - Weal - Simmonds line is controlling play, and in two weeks Weise gets replaced by JVR. Lehtera was fading before he got hurt last night, which makes putting a 4th line together difficult. You could bring up Twarynski and put Laughton at C, but then it's strictly a checking line that's only going to play 8 minutes a night. If NAK sticks (when Raffl returns it gets crowded) eventually his role (PK at some point) and minutes will increase.

Elliott and Pickard have given the Flyers solid goaltending and the team looks a lot better, what a surprise.

This is a transition year, a lot of young players will work their way into the lineup starting this spring and the next two seasons. But Hextall is right in trying to stagger them, too many inexperienced players on the ice at the same time can be a disaster. Hextall has shown he'll move out veterans when a kid is ready to play real minutes, a lot of the players you've grown to hate will be gone next season.
Last season we had almost identical shot amounts in 3rd when leading / tied after 2 periods.

Reactions: freakydallas13

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Ummm the hating on Voracek and Ghost in OT is dumb. What was G doing trying 1 vs 3. Dump it down low or hard to the corner.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yep. He went from amusing to irritating very quickly once it became apparent that he was but a cog in the wheels of their PR express. Also, casuals can suck farts, and they are the ones who will suck this up, like the fart vacuums they are.

You only dislike Gritty because everyone else likes him. #Contrarian

Gritty was a Trojan horse for the Flyers PR propaganda machine.

Get your attention with a cracked out muppet, then shove Hakstol and dogshit players down your throat.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Ummm the hating on Voracek and Ghost in OT is dumb. What was G doing trying 1 vs 3. Dump it down low or hard to the corner.
You don’t dump it in during 3v3 OT. It’s all about puck possession so it’s better to make a risky play and hope you keep it than to just give them the puck, especially since they had just started their shift.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Gritty was a Trojan horse for the Flyers PR propaganda machine.

Get your attention with a cracked out muppet, then shove Hakstol and dog**** players down your throat.

I like Gritty and hate Hakstol so their efforts did not work on me.

In all seriousness, it was just an attempt to draw in more casual fans and families with kids, and they accidentally created a phenomenon.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
You don’t dump it in during 3v3 OT. It’s all about puck possession so it’s better to make a risky play and hope you keep it than to just give them the puck, especially since they had just started their shift.
I get the puck possession in OT, but that risky play ended up a goal. G had no other option on that play. Take a chance you will beat the guy to the puck on a dump in.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I don’t think this game meant as much as some posited in terms of the quality of the Sharks versus Anaheim/LA being trash. San Jose has struggled this year, they were actually barely holding the final WC spot before and after this game if I did my math right with a +2 differential before it. Karlsson hasn’t done much so far, rest of the team is pretty old on average.

Just saying. I guess it’s a moot point whether it was a measuring stick game or not since they lost and got outshot by 10.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I didn’t watch the game but:

Gudas 11:34
Sanheim 15:38
Laughton 10:23
NAK 5:44

Deeeeveilipmint

Lindblom was playing like 8 minutes a night just in the last few games, now he’s playing him almost 17 because he’s hot and the line blender. Our most balanced pair barely played while Hagg got 21+, Folin got 20+, and Myers/Friedman are in the minors.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I didn’t watch the game but:

Laughton 10:23
NAK 5:44

Deeeeveilipmint

Lindblom was playing like 8 minutes a night just in the last few games, now he’s playing him almost 17 because he’s hot and the line blender. Our most balanced pair barely played while Hagg got 21+, Folin got 20+, and Myers/Friedman are in the minors.

It's almost like he has no f***ing clue what he is doing.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Didn't bother reading through the rest of this thread, so I'm not sure if it was mentioned, but woooooooooooooooooow these icetimes. :laugh:

Meanwhile...

Hagg 21:26
Folin 20:01

Hakstol legitimately thinks Hagg is a top pair defensemen and Folin is a top 4 defensemen. No wonder this team can't compete.
It's because they can think the game at same level as he does and are natural fit for his similarly cerebral system.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad