GDT: #14 | Boston Bruins @ New York Islanders | November 2nd | F/W 3-1

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Maloney is a tool. His butthurt crack goes deep.

Oh my goodness, how nauseating was it to listen to Maloney during that broadcast. Flyers act like idiots and deserved to get called out for it, but he uses it as an opportunity to launch into an anti-fighting diatribe. There's a big difference between a spur of the moment fight and what those douches from Philly did as a result of being embarrassed by Washington, but he used it as an opportunity to push his agenda anyway. Reminds me of some posters on this board....

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
+ Poulin looked great tonight. Should start Tuesday
+ A Mac and Hammer logging solid minutes
+ Carkner was good to have out there policing tonight and has played back to back good games. I give Hickey a lot of credit for this
+ Vanek looked skilled and smart out there
- Capuano is clueless with his timeouts
- Giving everyone but Cizikas a defensive zone faceoff in the last 2 mins

despite the fact that the isles were the better team, i do have a negative to add:

brock nelson with a stupid, stupid, stupid penalty immediately after his team goes up 2-0. the result? the lead is cut in half by a bruin pp goal. smarten up, kid!

scott99

May 13, 2005
Some interesting statistical facts. Ladies and gentlemen, Kyle Okposo is now the Isles leading scorer with 17 points, and despite being an average to below average passer, leads the team in assists with 13 ! Also leads the team in +/- with a +6.

Poulin is 1-2 with a 2.68 goals against and a .907 save percentage. Two of those games came against the Stanley Cup finalists and he gave up only 4 goals in those 2 games. Now has an 8-11-1 record with a 2.74 ga and a .911 SP so far in his NHL career, not bad considering some of the defenses he played in front of so far.

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
Great game....Carkner actually looked like a legitimate Nhl'er tonight(yes.....I know it won't last). God, if they could just put forth CLOSE to this effort every night.......

....and please give Poulin another start.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Oh my goodness, how nauseating was it to listen to Maloney during that broadcast. Flyers act like idiots and deserved to get called out for it, but he uses it as an opportunity to launch into an anti-fighting diatribe. There's a big difference between a spur of the moment fight and what those douches from Philly did as a result of being embarrassed by Washington, but he used it as an opportunity to push his agenda anyway. Reminds me of some posters on this board....

Listen, the Emery fight was nauseating, and for that linesman to stand there just watching a guy get destroyed is a disgrace. That linesman should be suspended. I've never seen a guy getting destroyed and the linesman didn't jump in. Emery spends his offseason in the boxing ring, Holstby never got his gloves off, wanted no part. Also, I never wanna see a guy get hurt, but the Flyers started the brawl, and both Steve Downie (broken orbital bone and concussion) and Lecavalier had a facial injury and lost some teeth. Brayden Schenn got his ass kicked too. They all deserved it.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006

Sadly true.

I like winning on Sat nights, makes HNL more watchable. The past couple of years they had Flatley and Jaffe on. Now they're not even trying to represent us.

Dolan's had it easy for a long time with our suckage. When the Isles take over the town in about 2 years, just in time for Brooklyn (they're about even as of now), they're going to have to deal with it and it won't be pretty. Really is unfortunate that they control the hockey media, both on TV and Newsday.

Newsday used to be such a good paper, especially for the Islanders during the cup years. Who else had the 4 back covers of the cup wins, with each player's mug shot on their walls as kids? The first one was black n white I think and the rest were in color. Pat Calabria did an amazing job covering them.

I felt bad about a month ago when someone posted Dave Maloney crying in his locker room after the '84 loss to the Isles. "The better team lost". Sure Dave, sure. I'm over that now lol.

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
despite the fact that the isles were the better team, i do have a negative to add:

brock nelson with a stupid, stupid, stupid penalty immediately after his team goes up 2-0. the result? the lead is cut in half by a bruin pp goal. smarten up, kid!

He's a rookie, those mistakes will happen.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
great atmosphere at game tonight.. it seemed there were so many more Bruins fans than ranger fans the other night but every time they started to chant they were drowned out by a loud islander crowd..

please let poulin start tuesday.. .and have to say the D looked pretty solid.. gotta give props to carkner and donovan after all the poor play they both looked good tonite...

gotta be our best all around effort.. first line was in beast mode tonite..

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
Some interesting statistical facts. Ladies and gentlemen, Kyle Okposo is now the Isles leading scorer with 17 points, and despite being an average to below average passer, leads the team in assists with 13 ! Also leads the team in +/- with a +6.

If he keeps this up, he'll be on the Olympic team. I love USA hockey and though I'd be stoked if he made it, the Islander fan in me wants an energized Okposo for the playoff run.

Thoughts?

BossyMVP

Die SABRES die
Jun 27, 2011
Long Island
Well said. They're both d-bags.

And to the youngsters, it's Hrudey. The second best goalie in Islanders team history. If he were here today, we'd be all right.

Knew something looked wrong when i spelled his name. Rhudey didnt look right. And to bring up flyers-washington fight...all i thought was...can't wait for someone to beat the crap out of Emery. And i remember a fight like that...cloutier-salo...cloutier came back for seconds while salo was in turtle mode.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Much better environment here on the Isles board when the team plays solid defense and gets good goaltending...

scott99

May 13, 2005
Hrudey was good, but I'd slot Glenn Resch as the #2 goalie in Islanders history.

Tough call, Chico got to start in front of a pretty darned good defense and team overall. Hrudey's defense wasn't that good and most of the Cup dynasty guys were gone when he was the teams star along with Lafontaine.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Best game of the year by far.

Most impressive thing was how we had the better legs in the 3rd even after playing a roadie last night.

Vanek opens so much room for JT just by being on the ice. This is gonna be a treat to watch.

On Edge

Nov 26, 2005
Long Island
great atmosphere at game tonight.. it seemed there were so many more Bruins fans than ranger fans the other night but every time they started to chant they were drowned out by a loud islander crowd..

please let poulin start tuesday.. .and have to say the D looked pretty solid.. gotta give props to carkner and donovan after all the poor play they both looked good tonite...

gotta be our best all around effort.. first line was in beast mode tonite..

Not even close. Was at both games. Rangers fans at least 60%. Bruin fans maybe 15-20% tops tonight.

Bruin fans that I talked to tonight were ok too. Much better visitors than the Ranger fans.

Agree best effort of the year.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Listen, the Emery fight was nauseating, and for that linesman to stand there just watching a guy get destroyed is a disgrace. That linesman should be suspended. I've never seen a guy getting destroyed and the linesman didn't jump in. Emery spends his offseason in the boxing ring, Holstby never got his gloves off, wanted no part. Also, I never wanna see a guy get hurt, but the Flyers started the brawl, and both Steve Downie (broken orbital bone and concussion) and Lecavalier had a facial injury and lost some teeth. Brayden Schenn got his ass kicked too. They all deserved it.

Oh don't get me wrong, I agree with everything you said. But Maloney used this incident to get on his anti-fighting soapbox. As I said in my prior post, there's a big difference between an impassioned, spur of the moment fight and what went on with Philly the other night. Stuff like staged fighting and what Philly did are nauseating indeed. Two guys going at it in the heat of the moment is something entirely different.

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
Not even close. Was at both games. Rangers fans at least 60%. Bruin fans maybe 15-20% tops tonight.

Bruin fans that I talked to tonight were ok too. Much better visitors than the Ranger fans.

Agree best effort of the year.

I sat in 118 tonight and I was surrounded by Bruins fans, but they were great fans. They weren't obnoxious at all and said they like the Islanders team.

grandforks

Dec 14, 2011
Tough call, Chico got to start in front of a pretty darned good defense and team overall. Hrudey's defense wasn't that good and most of the Cup dynasty guys were gone when he was the teams star along with Lafontaine.

Glenn Resch with the Islanders as one of the top two goalies:

1974-75
Resch - 2.47 (+11.2%)
Smith - 2.78

1975-76
Resch - 2.07 (+20.7%) 2nd-Team AS
Smith - 2.61

1976-77
Resch - 2.28 (+8.8%)
Smith - 2.50

1977-78
Resch - 2.55 (+3.8%)
Smith - 2.65

1978-79
Resch - 2.50 (+12.9%) 2nd-Team AS
Smith - 2.87

1979-80
Smith - 2.95
Resch - 3.04 (-3.1%)

1980-81
Resch - 3.07 (+6.4%)
Smith - 3.28

Kelly Hrudey with the Islanders as one of the top two goalies:

1984-85
Hrudey - 3.62 (+5.2%)
Smith - 3.82

1985-86
Hrudey - 3.21 (+13.7%)
Smith - 3.72

1986-87
Hrudey - 3.30 (+6.3%)
Smith - 3.52

1987-88
Smith - 3.22
Hrudey - 3.34 (-3.7%)

1988-89
Hrudey - 3.92 (50g)
Smith - 4.44 (17g)
Hackett - 3.53 (13g)
Fitzpatrick - 3.92 (11g)

Resch played with Smith when Billy was entering or in his prime. Hrudey played with Smith during the final years of Billy's career.

Last edited:

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
Mark Fitzpatrick looked like he could have been a really good goalie if he had not had that illness. Let's also not forget about Luongo...not Chris.

CrownofThornton

Jul 8, 2012
Bruins fan here.

Your fans, and the atmosphere tonight was excellent! I had a blast, and I cant stress enough the extent of class of the islanders fans. Definitely earned that win tonight.

Definitely pulling for you guys when the B's aren't involved! :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad