GDT: #14 | Boston Bruins @ New York Islanders | November 2nd | F/W 3-1

JTforPres2012

Feb 12, 2012
most times good. other times lucky

Come on man, this was the first game we've all seen him control his rebounds and look poised in net. I was at the game against MTL last year and he was god awful, I'm not saying he's the answer to the goalie problems or anything like that, but you have to give him credit for last night.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
Come on man, this was the first game we've all seen him control his rebounds and look poised in net. I was at the game against MTL last year and he was god awful, I'm not saying he's the answer to the goalie problems or anything like that, but you have to give him credit for last night.

This is the first time in a while we have seen the rebounds he hasn't controlled not go into the net. Doesn't mean he controlled the rebounds though.

JetsMetsIsles

Nov 20, 2009
This is the first time in a while we have seen the rebounds he hasn't controlled not go into the net. Doesn't mean he controlled the rebounds though.

He definitely controlled his rebounds better than Nabby and the ones he did give up he kicked out to the sides like he should and not straight out back to the forward setting him up.

Last night was the best game by an isles goalie this year.

Uncle Lou

Jun 20, 2010
New York
Big next 3 games all vs conference rivals and on the road. Hopefully this doesn't start another bad November but I think we're past that now. let's go islanders

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Not even close. Was at both games. Rangers fans at least 60%. Bruin fans maybe 15-20% tops tonight.

Bruin fans that I talked to tonight were ok too. Much better visitors than the Ranger fans.

Agree best effort of the year.

disagree i was at both as well and dont see how you can say not even close...maybe it was a bit of hyperbole by me but if anything the rangers and bruins fans at last two games was close...the hallways were ALL bruins last night before game and they had the ends of the rink and majority of the lower bowl. there were more islander fans at the the ranger game which was obvious to me when the islander fans were able to shout down all the obnoxiously loud ranger chants.. first time ever i did not hear one loud potvin sucks chant btw at an Isle ranger game, unless it was small on the other side of the coli... before last nights game all the sth's in my section were talking about how many bruin fans were there (yes we know they travel well, but still).. If i had to guess i would say was over 40% bruins which was crazy.. Bruins fans had their chants but not as vocal as the ranger fans and more respectful... Bruin fans > Ranger fans (and i am talking about quality not quantity)

crasherino

May 9, 2013
disagree i was at both as well and dont see how you can say not even close...maybe it was a bit of hyperbole by me but if anything the rangers and bruins fans at last two games was close...the hallways were ALL bruins last night before game and they had the ends of the rink and majority of the lower bowl. there were more islander fans at the the ranger game which was obvious to me when the islander fans were able to shout down all the obnoxiously loud ranger chants.. first time ever i did not hear one loud potvin sucks chant btw at an Isle ranger game, unless it was small on the other side of the coli... before last nights game all the sth's in my section were talking about how many bruin fans were there (yes we know they travel well, but still).. If i had to guess i would say was over 40% bruins which was crazy.. Bruins fans had their chants but not as vocal as the ranger fans and more respectful... Bruin fans > Ranger fans (and i am talking about quality not quantity)

No chance it was 40%....not even close. 40% could get a sustained cheer going - that didn't happen last night. I'd say 15-20% max. Still a significant amount to be sure, but not almost even. Agree about them being there early though. I suspect that's a normal occurrence though with visiting fans.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
You know what I totally agree that the visiting fans were the best I have seen in our building. There were a lot of Bruin fans in certain areas but as you said they really were respectful of the fact that they were in another teams building but still rooting their team on. I was really impressed to be honest.

Talked to couple of guys who had come to our building for the first time and one of them said to me that "to be really honest, this building is a GREAT place to watch a hockey game - great crowd and atmosphere".

giving equal time, while i disagreed with your prior comment, definitely agree with this..as a group i think Bruin fans are among the best.. I was at the islander bruin game in boston last year, respectful in my islander jersey and the fans around us were great which gave me great respect for them (pw junior was in the next section over as well in case things got out of hand and we need backup.. i am 6'3" so was not used to looking up at someone his height)... I spoke with a few around me at that game, and they were really knowledgable and all asked questions about our team and were impressed with our speed (we did win that game)... they did say though that it would be a different story if i was wearing a jersey with a red white and blue toilet bowl (a.k.a Montreal) so i guess part of it depends on the rivalry too..

on a side note, i was lucky enough to be at that that game because i was able to answer a question from dina at the coliseum.. so it was nice that the isles sent me there but in typical islander fashion they booked us on the wrong flight by a week coming home and all the email documents said the islanders/capitals in washington.. but that is a different story.

warrior60

Dec 24, 2010
Hockey Town
the nelson call and the tavares call were two completely different things. the call on tavares was cheap while nelson deserved his. you don't have to yell at him to educate him, but he certainly needed a talking to after such a foolish play. i'm sure someone pulled him aside afterward. if the staff didn't, it is bad coaching on top of bad on ice decision making.

Can you drop the Nelson penalty, you know they are going to call one on us after we went up by two, Nelson just happen to be the first one out after the goal, and yes it was a cheap call.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
No chance it was 40%....not even close. 40% could get a sustained cheer going - that didn't happen last night. I'd say 15-20% max. Still a significant amount to be sure, but not almost even. Agree about them being there early though. I suspect that's a normal occurrence though with visiting fans.

In the long run it doesn't matter but we can agree to disagree, I know what i saw and they did get sustained chants mostly before game because not much to chant about after.. 15% to 20% is way off IMHO as there were whole groups of sections at the coli that were solidly gold and black.. the rangers chants the other day were shouted down as well and they are more vocal and obnoxious. I go to all the games, and i was shocked how many there were compared to prior times we played them. Although, I would agree that it is perspective, so if i am wrong I am wrong, but it certainly didnt look that way from my seats looking around the coli and those around me were making similar comments

Last edited:

nyiguy21

Poster of the Decade
Aug 22, 2007
New York
btw, Staple tweets that Okposo got an assist on the first goal. So a 3 point game from him!
He deserved since he was the guy that threw it up front, but Boston definitely had possession in between Okie throwing it up and Vanek getting the puck to the net. Not complaining though,puts him at team leading 17 pts.
In terms of league wide scoring Isles have 3 in the top 20.
6th Okposo - 17 pts
7th Nielsen - 16 pts
19th Tavares - 15 pts

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
sorry...don't care. if you are playing in the nhl you cannot, repeat, cannot take a penalty 200 feet from your own net on the shift that immediately follows your team going up 2-0.

Then you're going to in for a long disappointing season. Rookies make mistakes its all apart of them growing.

Crosby's made mistakes.

Tavares made mistakes.

Kane made mistakes.

Every player makes mistakes, some more than others. All you can hope for is as the season goes on and he gets more adjusted that they're minimized.

Bruins fan here.

Your fans, and the atmosphere tonight was excellent! I had a blast, and I cant stress enough the extent of class of the islanders fans. Definitely earned that win tonight.

Definitely pulling for you guys when the B's aren't involved! :handclap:

Much appreciated!! Good luck to you as well!!

nyisles

Apr 4, 2006
Western Suffolk
In terms of league wide scoring Isles have 3 in the top 20.
6th Okposo - 17 pts
7th Nielsen - 16 pts
19th Tavares - 15 pts
Are you sure there isn't another Okposo in the league? The Okposo who plays for the Islanders, as some here have so intelligently put it, "sucks" :facepalm:

Stercrazy

Jul 4, 2007
Was at the game. Boston looked "uncomfortable". Isles played a solid game especially on the PK. Poulin made some nice saves from being in the right position. Nice growth....but he did benefit from the Isles icing 3 really good lines. I saw some smart play out there. Donovan was effective although he missed a wide open Vanek a sec. too late. Overall the team matured over the last couple of games. Everyone on the ice seemed determined to play some hockey against a pretty strong Boston team. Great game for the Isles!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad