Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Glencross - Stajan - Raymond
Sven - Backlund - Hudler
Johnny - Monahan - Colborne
Bollig - Bouma - Seto
Jones
Grats

Ignore where my lines are placed, I have no top line.

Aug 3, 2010
If Setoguchi doesn't regain form, who is the most likely to replace him in the regular lineup? I really feel like a healthy Baertschi could stick this season but I have a feeling Reinhart would sub in, or Jones.

I'm really hoping Baertschi sees ~30 games and up in the NHL.

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
I'll give it another go:

Glencross-Backlund-Hudler
Baertschi-Monahan-Colborne
Raymond-Stajan-Setoguchi
Bollig-Bouma-Jones/McGrattan

*Reinhart/Granlund/Knight

Giordano-Brodie
Smid-Wideman
Russell-Engelland
Diaz

*Wotherspoon/Brookbank/Potter

Hiller
Ramo

- Edited to include Diaz; good point by AF -- we did not shell out the bucks to have Engelland be a spectator, regardless of how much cap space we have to chuck around.. mind you, spots will be earned, not given away regardless of what we spend on any one player..

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
My guess on the opening night rosters.

CALGARY FLAMES
Goaltenders (2)
Player Name | Cap Hit
Hiller, Jonas | $4,500,000
Ramo, Karri | $2,750,000

Defensemen (7)
Player Name | Cap Hit
Brodie, T.J. | $2,125,000
Diaz, Raphael | PTO
Engelland, Deryk | $2,916,667
Giordano, Mark | $4,020,000
Russell, Kris | $1,500,000
Smid, Ladislav | $3,500,000
Wideman, Dennis | $5,250,000

Forwards (14)
Player Name | Cap Hit
Backlund, Mikael | $1,500,000
Baertschi, Sven | $894,167
Bollig, Brandon | $1,250,000
Bouma, Lance | $775,000
Byron, Paul | $600,000
Colborne, Joe | $1,275,000
Glencross, Curtis | $2,550,000
Hudler, Jiri | $4,000,000
Jones, David | $4,000,000
McGrattan, Brian | $750,000
Monahan, Sean | $925,000
Raymond, Mason | $3,150,000
Setoguchi, Devon | $750,000
Stajan, Matt | $3,125,000

ADIRONDACK FLAMES
Goaltenders (2)
Player Name | Cap Hit
Ortio, Joni | $600,000
Thiessen, Brad | $550,000

Defensemen (8)
Player Name | Cap Hit
Acolatse, Sena | $700,000
Culkin, Ryan | $656,667
Cundari, Mark | $660,000
Kulak, Brett | $656,667
Potter, Corey | $700,000
Ramage, John | $690,000
Sieloff, Patrick | $894,167
Wotherspoon, Tyler | $925,000

Forwards (14)
Player Name | Cap Hit
Agostino, Kenneth | $845,000
Arnold, Bill | $887,500
Carroll, Austin | Unsigned
Elson, Turner | $565,000
Ferland, Michael | $612,222
Gaudreau, Johnny | $925,000
Granlund, Markus | $767,500
Hanowski, Ben | $850,500
Jooris, Josh | $925,000
Knight, Corban | $900,000
Poirier, Emile | Sliding ELC
Reinhart, Max | $618,333
Van Brabant, Bryce | $912,500
Wolf, David | $775,000

COLORADO EAGLES
Goaltenders (2)
Player Name | Cap Hit
Carr, Douglas | PTO
Saunders, Clarke | ECHL Deal

Defensemen (7)
Player Name | Cap Hit
Bidwill, Arthur | ECHL Deal
Fram, Jason | PTO
Gedig, Curtis | PTO
Johnston, Daniel | ECHL Deal
Neill, Carl | PTO
Zahn, Teigan | ECHL Deal
Zimmerman, Sean | ECHL Deal

Forwards (10)
Player Name | Cap Hit
Bell, Brendan | PTO
Bootland, Darryl | ECHL Deal
Daavettila, Trent | ECHL Deal
Gardner, Greg | ECHL Deal
Hathaway, Garnet | AHL Deal
Kwas, Jordan | ECHL Deal
Magee, Brandon | PTO
Nixon, Brock | ECHL Deal
Padakin, Pavel | PTO
Vause, Taylor | ECHL Deal

Last edited:

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Maybe it's just me being overly optimistic, but I see the A-Flames as being fairly dominant this year.

Offense will likely be the same. The loss of Blair Jones, Corey Lock, and Ben Street will be noticeable. This will likely mean Granlund and/or Reinhart are back to center.

Defense has downgraded. Losing Billins, O'Brien, and Smith will hurt.

Goaltending should be the same. If Ortio goes down though, look out. I wouldn't mind trying to sign Thomas or Bryzgalov to a two way deal. Having a guy down there to mentor/support Ortio would be really beneficial.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Maybe it's just me being overly optimistic, but I see the A-Flames as being fairly dominant this year.

You're not alone. Assuming one of Baertschi/Gaudreau make the NHL squad, we looked like a stacked team. Using AF's players:

AHL Squad

Reinhart - Granlund - Poirier
Baertschi/Gaudreau - Knight - Hanowski/Jooris
Agostino - Arnold - Carroll
Wolf - Elson - Ferland
BVB, Jooris/Hanowski

Wotherspoon - Ramage
Sieloff - Acolatse
Cundari - Potter
Kulak, Culkin

Ortio
Thiessen

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
I think it'll depend on how they make up for a lack of veteran presence and leadership in the room, if some guys step up into that role, they will be successful I think.

One might argue that Gaudreau and Poirier coming in to replace guys like Jones, Street, or Locke in fact makes us better not worse, despite losing that experience/leadership. Factor in that Reinhart, Granlund and Knight are in good position to improve upon their relative success last year; the addition of some key RH depth guys on D in Acolatse and Potter, both with something to prove.. I like the look of this team; the only real issue I can foresee, as Skobel mentioned would be if Ortio goes down for any extended period of time..

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think it'll depend on how they make up for a lack of veteran presence and leadership in the room, if some guys step up into that role, they will be successful I think.
I think Potter is a significant addition for the Heat, especially when it comes to leadership. I'd like to see him paired with Wotherspoon so T-Spoon can stay back and work out some of his defensive kinks while Potter will replace Billins/Smith. Although I am still pretty concerned about the leadership up front, but Potter really does ease my mind alot. I'd still like to see one veteran forward brought in though.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I think Potter is a significant addition for the Heat, especially when it comes to leadership. I'd like to see him paired with Wotherspoon so T-Spoon can stay back and work out some of his defensive kinks while Potter will replace Billins/Smith. Although I am still pretty concerned about the leadership up front, but Potter really does ease my mind alot. I'd still like to see one veteran forward brought in though.

Yeah, I really didn't like the Potter signing but if he is happy playing for AF, then he and Wotherspoon could make a real good pairing.

I have been thinking about it lately and I wonder if Flames brass anticipates a couple of prospects will play their way onto the team, and we will see a couple 1-way contract assigned to the AHL to be that veteran leadership, just my own pet theory I suppose.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
One might argue that Gaudreau and Poirier coming in to replace guys like Jones, Street, or Locke in fact makes us better not worse, despite losing that experience/leadership. Factor in that Reinhart, Granlund and Knight are in good position to improve upon their relative success last year; the addition of some key RH depth guys on D in Acolatse and Potter, both with something to prove.. I like the look of this team; the only real issue I can foresee, as Skobel mentioned would be if Ortio goes down for any extended period of time..
You do realize rookies in the AHL rarely produce to the levels of Locke, Street and Jones right?

Street was the Heat's best offensive player and only the 2nd Heat player to surpass the point per game marker in the team's history (while playing a decent number of games).

Jones was exactly at a point per game but still managed to finish 7th in team scoring despite only playing 37 games.

Locke is the most easily replaceable of the group but this was a guy that had 19 assists in 30 games and IMO was the teams best playmaker after being acquired (Max was a close second IMO).

Those 3 players were were not only leaders but they were disciplined both in their risk management on the ice and in terms of penalties. Those 3 guys combined for less penalty minutes for the Heat than Poirier had in 63 games for Gatineau.

Saying the additions of Gaudreau/Poirier over Street/Jones/Locke will make the ADK Flames is really not giving those 3 veterans the credit they deserve.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yeah, I really didn't like the Potter signing but if he is happy playing for AF, then he and Wotherspoon could make a real good pairing.

I have been thinking about it lately and I wonder if Flames brass anticipates a couple of prospects will play their way onto the team, and we will see a couple 1-way contract assigned to the AHL to be that veteran leadership, just my own pet theory I suppose.
I think they expect enough injuries that the kids will get NHL ice-time. Backlund has missed nearly 25% of his games since becoming a full-time NHLer 4 seasons ago. Glencross has missed 24% of his games in the last 4 years. Jones has missed 22% of his games. Baertschi hasn't had a healthy season since the Flames drafted him. Setoguchi is usually good to miss 10 games or so too.

Lots of games for the kids to fill in. Honestly the player I most likely see being demoted on a 1way is Byron. I don't think the likes of Jones or Seto get demoted, but rather are more likely to be sitting in popcorn rown than end up as waiver fodder and/or demoted.

WhereIsIt

alongtheboards
Jan 21, 2010
Calgary
www.alongtheboards.com
I think they expect enough injuries that the kids will get NHL ice-time. Backlund has missed nearly 25% of his games since becoming a full-time NHLer 4 seasons ago. Glencross has missed 24% of his games in the last 4 years. Jones has missed 22% of his games. Baertschi hasn't had a healthy season since the Flames drafted him. Setoguchi is usually good to miss 10 games or so too.

Lots of games for the kids to fill in. Honestly the player I most likely see being demoted on a 1way is Byron. I don't think the likes of Jones or Seto get demoted, but rather are more likely to be sitting in popcorn rown than end up as waiver fodder and/or demoted.

To add onto that, there's usually at least one player injured on opening day, so they won't nessesarily have to make the decision who to send down right away.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
To add onto that, there's usually at least one player injured on opening day, so they won't nessesarily have to make the decision who to send down right away.
Even if everyone is healthy on opening night, it won't last more than a handful of games.

And to add even further, the average NHL had 347 manned games lost (injury, illness, suspension & healthy scratches), my math isn't perfect but that's almost a full season for 3 players.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Even if everyone is healthy on opening night, it won't last more than a handful of games.

And to add even further, the average NHL had 347 manned games lost (injury, illness, suspension & healthy scratches), my math isn't perfect but that's almost a full season for 3 players.

It's over a full season for 4 players (328).

ReNeGaDe87

Comfortably Numb
Jun 10, 2012
Burkeville AB
ive been on capgeek for like half an hour trying to make some sweet line combos

I do not envy the coaches job

FORWARDS
Curtis Glencross ($2.550m) / Mikael Backlund ($1.500m) / Jiri Hudler ($4.000m)
Johnny Gaudreau ($0.925m) / Sean Monahan ($0.925m) / Joe Colborne ($1.275m)
Mason Raymond ($3.150m) / Matt Stajan ($3.125m) / Devin Setoguchi ($0.750m)
Brandon Bollig ($1.250m) / Lance Bouma ($0.775m) / David Jones ($4.000m)
Brian McGrattan ($0.750m) / Paul Byron ($0.600m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Mark Giordano ($4.020m) / T.J. Brodie ($2.125m)
Ladislav Smid ($3.500m) / Kris Russell ($2.600m)
Raphael Diaz ($1.225m) / Dennis Wideman ($5.250m)
Deryk Engelland ($2.917m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jonas Hiller ($4.500m)
Karri Ramo ($2.750m)

I originally had Byron in the A but I realistically hes the only one besides big ern I would want sitting in the press box for extended periods, he could also be a good mentor to a smaller player like JG, who I put him in the top 6 because I don't think he will fare well in a bottom 6 role in the western conference, according to colbourne's strength coach he has "turned him into a monster" (random twitter find on my part) so I put him with Johnny and Mony, who I think will form a dazzling trio.

I really hope Baertschi makes the team tho

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014

FORWARDS
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Jonas Hiller ($4.500m)
Karri Ramo ($2.750m)

I originally had Byron in the A but I realistically hes the only one besides big ern I would want sitting in the press box for extended periods, he could also be a good mentor to a smaller player like JG, who I put him in the top 6 because I don't think he will fare well in a bottom 6 role in the western conference, according to colbourne's strength coach he has "turned him into a monster" (random twitter find on my part) so I put him with Johnny and Mony, who I think will form a dazzling trio.

This is exactly the roster I expect to see, alternating with Baert and Johnny G depending on who makes the team.

Edit: I'd probably put Smid and Wideman together as a pairing, but yeah.. pretty much exact

Last edited:

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011

FORWARDS
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Jonas Hiller ($4.500m)
Karri Ramo ($2.750m)

This would be how I see things shaking down too. Although, I expect Engelland in over Diaz

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Renegade's looks good. Only thing I'd change is have Smid and Wideman together, just to have someone defensively minded with Wideman.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Renegade's looks good. Only thing I'd change is have Smid and Wideman together, just to have someone defensively minded with Wideman.
I also don't think Diaz would play over Engelland. Anyone thinking he will is kidding themselves. Treliving didn't get into a bidding war for Engelland to have him sitting in the pressbox.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I also don't think Diaz would play over Engelland. Anyone thinking he will is kidding themselves. Treliving didn't get into a bidding war for Engelland to have him sitting in the pressbox.

Yeah, forgot to mention that too. Engelland and Russell will be the third pairing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad