Smid - Engelland

Hiller/Ramo

If only we had Westgarth, that would be the ultimate goon squad

Last edited:

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
My starting lineup changes all the time... But this one is probably the one I stick with:

Glencross - Backlund - Hudler
Raymond - Stajan - Jones
Baertschi/Gaudreau - Monahan - Colborne
Bollig - Bouma - McGrattan
Byron

Gio - Brodie
Smid - Wideman
Russell - Engelland
Cundari/Wotherspoon

Ramo
Hiller

-Still unsure on which LW makes the team; If I had a gun pointed to my head, it'd be Gaudreau.
-13 forwards, 8 defenseman. My rationale is that Engelland can be the 14th forward (sitting in the press box) if one of the defenseman get injured, giving Wotherspoon a chance to play a few games.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Honestly. I would probably go with Sven to have a safer bet of making the team. I am not saying he is better(he's no slouch), but more physically ready for an 82 game grind. But we'll see.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Glencross / Stajan / Raymond

Raymond plays with a line that can be creative on both ends, can eat minutes, and is responsible on both sides of the puck.

Hudler / Backlund / Jones

Backlund can dish the pick to these two forwards who have great shots and can put the puck in the net. Backlunds board play has improved a lot, and can create space for his line mates. Jones can crash the net, Hudler can get open and finesse his way to greatness

Bollig / Monahan / Colborne

I know everyone thinks Bollig is a 4th line plug, but that was on a stacked CHI team. He also averaged over 10:00 a night. He brings size and protection, is a decent skater and can also create opportunities if given the chance. Monahan and Colborne can hopefully build on the chemistry they started last year.

Bouma / Byron / McGratten

This line is hussle. Energy. Decent skaters, always taking the body. And I'm sure if iced with the proper D pairings, Byron gets like 30 breakaways this year.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Honestly. I would probably go with Sven to have a safer bet of making the team. I am not saying he is better(he's no slouch), but more physically ready for an 82 game grind. But we'll see.

Well I did say with a gun pointed to my head, Johnny would be my guess.

But you're right, I think Sven definitely deserves the opportunity to try and prove his worth in the NHL again. All he really had to do was work on his defensive game a little, playing a 200 ft game. He's gotten better, and I think deserves a middle 6 LW spot. I'm not opposed to letting Johnny get top line minutes in the AHL.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Flames have a fantastic forward prospect pool but to me now is a great opportunity to play all the guys together in AHL. They're going to be in the big club sooner or later anyways so it doesnt hurt to build chemistry even further and if everybody progress well, be a top forward group in AHL. As it happens pretty much every guy are waiver exempt, so they can also be called and sent down as much as they like.

But right now i'd start with this lineup:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Colborne
Raymond - Stajan - Jones
Byron - Bouma - Bollig (the B-line)
McGrattan

There's no real 1st line but that "1st line" should be a pretty decent one. Backlund dishes, Glencross does his thing and Hudler brings the skill game. Im very confident Johnny Hockey is ready and needs to face the challenge. Want to see if the chemistry is there with Monahan (i dont see why not). Also have a feeling Colborne will be surprisingly good this year. Thats the "kid line" and could potentially be a good one in the future. 3rd line is the 'veteran' line that tries to play smart and score some goals in the progress. 4th line is a pest line, obviously.

Giordano - Brodie
Russell - Smid
Wotherspoon - Wideman
Engelland

Very good D for a team like Calgary. Since they dont have that many blue-chip prospects on defense, i really think Wotherspoon should be given a legit chance already. Engelland is used to sit some games in Pittsburgh but is a very solid option in case someone gets hurt or Wotherspoon doesnt seem ready. Im not sure about Wideman this season also. I have a feeling he might end up in the pressbox.

Hiller
Ramo

Will be interesting to see if Hiller continues to regress or if he just needed a change of scenery. If he seems good they might flip Ramo at the trade deadline to bring in Ortio, since he's signed on 1-way deal next season anyways.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Glencross - Backlund - Setoguchi
Hudler - Monahan - Colborne
Raymond - Stajan - Jones
Bollig/Bouma - Bollig/Bouma - McGrattan

Nice balance, size wise. Hudler with the kids and the 3rd line could surprise some guys. Of course that's until the injuries start.

Last edited:

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
Glencross - Backlund - Setoguchi
Raymond - Stajan - Jones
Bollig/Bouma - Bollig/Bouma - McGrattan

Nice balance, size wise. Hudler with the kids and the 3rd line could surprise some guys. Of course that's until the injuries start.

I like this, although I'd probably keep Hudler with GlenX and Backlund, move Colborne back over to LW and bump Seto down to 2nd line RW to spread out the physicality and playmaking a little more among our top-6. Otherwise, I'd keep the bottom-6 exactly the same, with Byron as the extra and Baertschi/Rejnhart as first call-ups

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I like this, although I'd probably keep Hudler with GlenX and Backlund, move Colborne back over to LW and bump Seto down to 2nd line RW to spread out the physicality and playmaking a little more among our top-6. Otherwise, I'd keep the bottom-6 exactly the same, with Byron as the extra and Baertschi/Rejnhart as first call-ups

That's how I originally had it but why have the 2 best play makers on the same line. I like having a semi physical player on either side of Backlund, banging and making space. Hudler could really help the kids get over the 2nd year jitters/increased expectations. No clear 1st line but let's face it, the kids are the future and should be given the best chance to succeed. Colborne seems to be excelling at RW, Seto might only be around for a year, so why mess with it.

Last edited:

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
That's how I originally had it but why have the 2 best play makers on the same line. I like having a semi physical player on either side of Backlund, banging and making space. Hudler could really help the kids get over the 2nd year jitters/increased expectations. No clear 1st line but let's face it, the kids are the future and should be given the best chance to succeed. Colborne seems to be excelling at RW, Seto might only be around for a year, so why mess with it.

Yeah, fair enough.. I just thought Seto with the kids since neither Money or Colborne are particularly physical, whereas GlenX and even Backlund to an extent aren't afraid to bang bodies around.. Plus, I'm somewhat partial to a 1st line of Glencross-Backlund-Hudler and a middle-6 of

Colborne-Monahan-Setogutchi
Raymond-Stajan-Jones

which I've actually changed my mind from having either Baertschi or Johnny G slot into the 2nd line LW spot.. not saying one or the other won't end up there eventually, but the acquisition of Seto gives us a useful at worst/effective at best option we never had before on RW, and allows Colborne to move back to his natural side while continuing to build upon his chemistry with Money from last year. Any way you slice it, it's looking more and more feasible that Sven and Johnny start with the Heat, unless they blow minds at camp.. by which case, Colborne would ideally be back on RW with one of Sven/Johnny/MayRay on the left, and Seto bumped down to split bottom-6 RW duties with Jones and McGrattan.. Byron should be the extra, although I can understand if they want his leadership down on the farm; I don't see why Reinhart shouldn't get a long look to crack the team right away, but I fully expect him to be the first one called up if he doesn't

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
My lines would be:

1st line

2nd/3rd (interchangeable)
Raymond - Stajan - Setoguchi

4th

13/14th - Byron, Jones

I still think Johnny makes it

And on a side note, just think of it this way

:flames
Galiardi

for

:jets
Setoguchi

So imo, we win the deal.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Yeah, fair enough.. I just thought Seto with the kids since neither Money or Colborne are particularly physical, whereas GlenX and even Backlund to an extent aren't afraid to bang bodies around.. Plus, I'm somewhat partial to a 1st line of Glencross-Backlund-Hudler and a middle-6 of

Raymond-Stajan-Jones

which I've actually changed my mind from having either Baertschi or Johnny G slot into the 2nd line LW spot.. not saying one or the other won't end up there eventually, but the acquisition of Seto gives us a useful at worst/effective at best option we never had before on RW, and allows Colborne to move back to his natural side while continuing to build upon his chemistry with Money from last year. Any way you slice it, it's looking more and more feasible that Sven and Johnny start with the Heat, unless they blow minds at camp.. by which case, Colborne would ideally be back on RW with one of Sven/Johnny/MayRay on the left, and Seto bumped down to split bottom-6 RW duties with Jones and McGrattan.. Byron should be the extra, although I can understand if they want his leadership down on the farm; I don't see why Reinhart shouldn't get a long look to crack the team right away, but I fully expect him to be the first one called up if he doesn't

Personally, I think Colborne's physical came a long way last year and his reported weight gains should only help in that aspect. Be the end of the year he seemed far more physically engaged than Backlund.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Raymond-Stajan-Jones

I think Hartley will want to keep Colborne on the RW, so I don't think he will be on a line with Seto, as much as I think the players would compliment each other on such a line.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Here are my realistic lines:

Glencross - Backlund - Jones

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Here are my realistic lines:

Glencross - Backlund - Jones

Switch Raymond and Hudler and that's how I would like to see it.

Hudler has to help Stajan get to that 50 point season form again. Without Raymond on Monahan's line, there isn't really any speed.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Switch Raymond and Hudler and that's how I would like to see it.

Hudler has to help Stajan get to that 50 point season form again. Without Raymond on Monahan's line, there isn't really any speed.

Pretty sure Stajans time as a top 6 player is over. He's just far more effective in a defensive role and I really don't see Jones on the 1st line.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
My lines would be:

1st line

2nd/3rd (interchangeable)

4th

13/14th - Byron, Jones

I still think Johnny makes it

And on a side note, just think of it this way

:flames
Galiardi

for

:jets
Setoguchi

So imo, we win the deal.

I like these lines a lot. I wonder though what will happen if both Johnny and Sven make the team which is possible, and really you can't count out Reinhart either. In that case, we will likely either see a trade or someone waived.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
Glencross-Backlund-Hudler
Gaudreau-Monahan-Raymond
Colborne-Stajan-Setoguchi
Bolling-McGrattan-Jones

Giordano-Smid
Brodie-Wideman
Russell-Engelland

Hiller
Ramo

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Glencross-Backlund-Hudler
Gaudreau-Monahan-Raymond
Colborne-Stajan-Setoguchi
Bolling-McGrattan-Jones

Giordano-Smid
Brodie-Wideman
Russell-Engelland

Hiller
Ramo

Colborne won't likely be separated from Monahan, and McGrattan doesn't play center. There is also NO reason to separate Gio and Brodie. Those two were incredible together. You're also missing Bouma (granted he's still waiting to be signed)

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
I'm gonna go with the lines I'd like to see:

Glencross-Stajan-Raymond
Baertschi-Backlund-Hudler
Gaudreau-Monahan-Colborne
Bouma-Reinhart-Mcgrattan
Byron-Setoguchi

Giordano-Brodie
Wideman-Russell
Smid-Wotherspoon
Engelland

Ramo/Hiller

I think Baertschi and Gaudreau will make Jones completely expendable, and really, what is the purpose of keeping him?

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I'm gonna go with the lines I'd like to see:

Glencross-Stajan-Raymond
Baertschi-Backlund-Hudler
Gaudreau-Monahan-Colborne
Bouma-Reinhart-Mcgrattan
Byron-Setoguchi

Giordano-Brodie
Wideman-Russell
Smid-Wotherspoon
Engelland

Ramo/Hiller

I think Baertschi and Gaudreau will make Jones completely expendable, and really, what is the purpose of keeping him?

He's worth 4m, isn't he :sarcasm:?

In all seriousness, I don't want to completely write him off yet. Just make sure he stays playing a 3rd line RW.

Honestly, with the Setoguchi signing, I think the pressure is on for David Jones rather than Johnny, Sven, or any other rookie. D. Jones will lose his spot if he plays the way he played last year. I already have Seto before him.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
It's interesting that the same guys that rag on Jones, are the same guys that put Stajan on the top line. He's really not overpaid anymore than Smid or Wideman. Honestly, if any vet gets moved to make space for a rookie, I'd prefer it was Smid. I'd much gather see a Wotherspoon/Engelland pairing, than a Smid/Engelland pairing...probably a lot more effective getting the puck out of our zone too!

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I disagree, I prefer Smid over Jones 8 days a week. Jones was just a body on the ice, he didn't do much.

The Smid - Wotherspoon pairing was one of the best chemistry pairings I've seen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad