'14-'15 Flames' 23 Man Roster

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I haven't had the chance to watch any preseason, but by all accounts, it sounds like Setogutchi would be best utilized as an emergency option in case of injury, if not kept off the roster entirely. I can appreciate the need for some experience to be infused in the roster, but it just kinda sucks that the choice for that 3rd line RW spot seems to be between Seto and Jones, neither of whom I'm a fan of. Perhaps with Ferland's recent emergence we could bump Bollig up to the 3rd line, and have Byron split 4th line RW duties with Big Ern; Reinhart and Granlund as the first callups:

Glencross-Backlund-Hudler
Baertschi-Monahan-Colborne
Raymond-Stajan-Bollig
Ferland-Bouma-Byron/McGrattan

*Reinhart/Granlund

The defence is obviously set in stone; not sure anymore who'd be an effective #7.. doesn't sound like Diaz has impressed much, and Tspoon would probably benefit from starting the year in Addy, though he is likely our next best option at this point.

Actually, he really has. He attracted a lot of buzz from Flames media and from the coach after his first couple of pre-season games. I think he's going to get a contract and make the opening night roster.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
with the assumption that all of Backlund, Granlund, and Jones are not ready to start the season;

Raymond/ Monahan/ Hudler
Sven/ Colborne/ Glencross
JG/ Stajan/ Jooris or Ferland
Bollig/ Bouma/ McGrattan
ex: Setoguchi

if people are healthy;

Raymond/ Backlund/ Hudler
JG or Sven/ Monahan/ Colborne
Glencross/ Stajan/ Jones
Bollig/ Bouma/ McGrattan
ex: Setoguchi

Gio/ Brodie
Russell/ Engellend
Smid/ Wideman
ex. Diaz

Ramo/ Hiller

Last edited:

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Is Baertschi a lock for the Flames 2nd line full time this year?

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
With Backlund out, Johnny proving with every game he belongs here, and Bennett earning at least a regular season audition, anyone think the lines could look something like this to start the season?

Glencross-Bennett-Gaudreau
Baertschi-Monahan-Colborne
Raymond-Stajan-Hudler
Ferland-Bouma-Bollig/McGrattan
Byron

*Reinhart/Granlund

Giordano-Brodie
Smid-Wideman
Russell-Engelland
Diaz

*Wotherspoon/Potter

Ramo
Hiller

(* denotes first call-ups)

I think I'd be pretty happy with something like that for the first 9 games, or for as long as Backlund is out. Has there been any update on Granlund btw? How long is he expected to be out for?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Based on what I've seen, and hearing that Raymond and Backlund will both probably be in the opener, here is what I would like to see:

Sven - Backlund - Hudler
Gaudreau - Monahan - Colborne
Glencross - Stajan - Raymond
Bollig - Bouma - Seto
Jones
Grats

Gio - Brodie
Russell - Engelland
Smid - Wideman
Diaz

Hiller
Ramo

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
Name Change, and Defence + Goalie Talk

So, mtgould89 wasn't a very flattering title (at least pun-wise) so I was pleased to learn that "TheScorpion" was available. So naturally, I took it, because of Mike Johnson and his footy references:

I also considered the name "Doink" in honour of my favourite broadcaster's onomatopoeia, but I felt that unnecessary.

So now, onto the actual meat of the matter, who are your defensive picks to make the opening night roster for the Flames? This is just D-men and goalies, for the forwards are rather difficult to project. Also, who do you think will carry the bulk of the workload this season in net? Hiller or Ramo?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
So now, onto the actual meat of the matter, who are your defensive picks to make the opening night roster for the Flames? This is just D-men and goalies, for the forwards are rather difficult to project. Also, who do you think will carry the bulk of the workload this season in net? Hiller or Ramo?

I believe that to start the season, we'll carry 7 d-men on the roster:

Giordano-Brodie
Smid-Wideman
Russell-Engelland

Diaz

In goal, it's still too close to call. I think Hiller will start opening night, and Ramo the night after. I feel like Hiller is the better goaltender at this very moment by an almost imperceptibly small amount, but I think Ramo is more in our future plans. As I said last night, I have a hunch that Hiller might be dealt as long as Ramo is solid during his chances this season.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Probably something like this, but I'm not convinced Bart will remain with the big club, and I still think Gaudreau is 60/40 to make it.

Gaudreau - Backlund - Hudler
Baertschi - Monahan - Jones
Bouma - Colborne - Bollig/McGrattan/Byron

Giordano-Brodie
Wideman - Russell
Smid - Engelland/Diaz

Ramo, Hiller

Think that's 23...

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I'm pretty sure Mason Raymond can play RW right? I think he prefers the left but I feel like when he played in Vancouver it was on the right side a lot.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If Byron was sent down, he would have to clear waivers if I'm not mistaken? I know he's a fan favourite on here, and deservedly so based on his play from last season. But if the Flames motto "Nothing is given, but earned" is true, then would Jooris not be given a spot over Byron?

The Flames may need Jones' salary to stay over the floor (they are currently just under 54 million, the floor is 51 million), but some deals may need to be made if the Flames want to stay true to their word. I believe both Johnny and Sven have done enough to earn spots this camp. I think Jones has played okay in the games he did play in this preseason, but I don't think a player like him should be taking a spot from a long term core piece when they have outplayed him. This may just sort itself out though, if Jones is injured for a large portion of the year, the Flames could just use his salary and then use him when needed when he's healthy.

The Flames could always waive Jones if they can't trade him, and sign Diaz to a 1-year 2 million dollar contract to stay over the floor.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Byron would have to pass through waivers. If Jones was sent down and cleared 900k would stay on the cap. I highly doubt Jones will be moved or sent down, unless ownership is willing to pay 4 million to pay him for playing in the AHL.

Also by that logic Ferland should have stayed up. Jooris will be sent down probably, but might get a game in.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Byron would have to pass through waivers. If Jones was sent down and cleared 900k would stay on the cap. I highly doubt Jones will be moved or sent down, unless ownership is willing to pay 4 million to pay him for playing in the AHL.

Also by that logic Ferland should have stayed up. Jooris will be sent down probably, but might get a game in.

If Feaster was still here I would of agreed with you, but they didn't hesitate to bury SOB. I don't think this regime is as concerned with eating salary in some cases if it's for the long term betterment of our team. After all, they were willing eat a poor contract for a 1st round pick this past draft.

May 27, 2012
Earth
If Feaster was still here I would of agreed with you, but they didn't hesitate to bury SOB. I don't think this regime is as concerned with eating salary in some cases if it's for the long term betterment of our team. After all, they were willing eat a poor contract for a 1st round pick this past draft.

2 Million difference. They would better off retaining 50%, at least the team would get something out of it.

edit: One can only dream though.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
Probably something like this, but I'm not convinced Bart will remain with the big club, and I still think Gaudreau is 60/40 to make it.

Gaudreau - Backlund - Hudler
Baertschi - Monahan - Colborne
Bouma - Granlund - Bollig/McGrattan/Byron

Giordano-Brodie
Wideman - Russell
Smid - Engelland/Diaz

Ramo, Hiller

Think that's 23...

I know Colborne has been playing center during camp, but I just don't see him as a fourth liner. I think he'll be taking Jones' spot who has been nothing short of extremely disappointing this year and last. With Granlund still with the team, I would think that he has just as good a shot as any of making the opening night roster, or Byron could center that fourth line as well.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I know Colborne has been playing center during camp, but I just don't see him as a fourth liner. I think he'll be taking Jones' spot who has been nothing short of extremely disappointing this year and last. With Granlund still with the team, I would think that he has just as good a shot as any of making the opening night roster, or Byron could center that fourth line as well.

Thanks for changing my post :facepalm: but for clarification Granlund is injured (potentially serious) and Jones isn't going anywhere or he'd have been a compliance buyout this summer.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
I think money is the last thing this ownership group needs to worry about. Kotalik was a pimp earning 3.2mil or something like that in the minors before getting traded to Buffalo in the Regher deal. Edwards and co. didn't even blink.

Lucky for us Jooris has shown that he's perfectly capable of playing bottom six minutes to start. As much as I want him to develop his offence further in the A, I just don't see much offensive upside in him, which is fine because he projects to be a bottom 6er anyways.

but meh we'll keep Jones up to stay above the salary floor probably.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If Byron was sent down, he would have to clear waivers if I'm not mistaken? I know he's a fan favourite on here, and deservedly so based on his play from last season. But if the Flames motto "Nothing is given, but earned" is true, then would Jooris not be given a spot over Byron?

The Flames may need Jones' salary to stay over the floor (they are currently just under 54 million, the floor is 51 million), but some deals may need to be made if the Flames want to stay true to their word. I believe both Johnny and Sven have done enough to earn spots this camp. I think Jones has played okay in the games he did play in this preseason, but I don't think a player like him should be taking a spot from a long term core piece when they have outplayed him. This may just sort itself out though, if Jones is injured for a large portion of the year, the Flames could just use his salary and then use him when needed when he's healthy.

The Flames could always waive Jones if they can't trade him, and sign Diaz to a 1-year 2 million dollar contract to stay over the floor.
1) Yes, Byron would have to clear waivers and IMO he likely would without a problem at this point in the season, he could be recalled at any point though.

2) Technically if demoted Jones would still carry a 3+ million cap hit in the NHL, you can only bury a small amount of salary in the NHL (900k-950k, I forget the exact amount). So the FLames would still be above the cap floor if he was waived and demoted.

3) I pointed out in some thread (I forget which one) that we only have 12 (including Byron) veteran forwards under contract, so 2 can be used in the 13th/14th forward roles, so there is no need to remove any of the veteran forwards from the lineup unless 3 youngsters are clearly better than the veterans. And that is without factoring in injuries.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
1) Yes, Byron would have to clear waivers and IMO he likely would without a problem at this point in the season, he could be recalled at any point though.

2) Technically if demoted Jones would still carry a 3+ million cap hit in the NHL, you can only bury a small amount of salary in the NHL (900k-950k, I forget the exact amount). So the FLames would still be above the cap floor if he was waived and demoted.

3) I pointed out in some thread (I forget which one) that we only have 12 (including Byron) veteran forwards under contract, so 2 can be used in the 13th/14th forward roles, so there is no need to remove any of the veteran forwards from the lineup unless 3 youngsters are clearly better than the veterans. And that is without factoring in injuries.

Thanks for posting this and for clarifying those points, in my lineup above I had both Jones and Grats as the extras so that could work. I actually don't hate Jones or dislike him in any shape or form, but management has signed so many 1-way contracts that it's left us in somewhat of a bind. I believe both Johnny and Sven should stay up, based on your post it's possible.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Thanks for posting this and for clarifying those points, in my lineup above I had both Jones and Grats as the extras so that could work. I actually don't hate Jones or dislike him in any shape or form, but management has signed so many 1-way contracts that it's left us in somewhat of a bind. I believe both Johnny and Sven should stay up, based on your post it's possible.
Thank you for actually listening, I've been telling people this ad nauseum for a while but nobody listens :laugh:

Flamesarmstrong22

May 2, 2012
Toronto
Opening night Lineup

Simple as the title. Predict what the opening night lineup vs the canucks will be with all the cuts presumably made.
My guess:
Glencross,Monohan,Hudler
Gaudreu,Backlund.Setoguchi
Raymond,Stajan,Jones
Bouma,Colborne,Mcratten
Bollig,Byron

Giordano,Brodie
Smid,Wideman
Russel,Engelland

Hiller
Ramo

Wheels of Poirier