GDT: #14 - 11/4/13 | Anaheim Ducks @ New York Rangers | 7:30 PM - MSG, NBCSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I'm not a drilled statistician, but unlike the roulette, wouldn't any team by pure common sense have a higher percenatage change of winning the next game the more winnings they have in the past? Sure there might be a lot of factors, but in genereal and over a season these will not really matter as they will cancel themselves out. I would be very surprised if it wasn't statistically true that if (odds alike) you would bet your money on the team With the most wins, for e.g. past 13 games, in all games of the season, you will be better off? And as better teams (more wins) likely will have more or longer streaks that the crappy ones, the winning team (most wins) and the longest streaking team are more often than not likely to be the same, and most likely to win any given matchup?

Not in this case though, but by this (imbesile?) logic, Rangers will loose this one as aggregated wins must be more significant than the current little streak, at least up to some pivot point where they become actual winners by the first definition. And they're not there yet.

:help:

I think you're referring to the record and strength of the team. I'm talking about whether a team won 3 in a row and is going for a 4th win. I'm not talking about what their record was. Also, if we're keeping this as "in a vacuum" no matter what the strength of the team if they won 3 in a row, the 4th game will have the same odds. If a team is super strong and say you can objectively calculate a 75% chance of winning every game (no such thing), then it doesn't matter what they did in those 3 games, the 4th game will have a 75% probability of winning. Same for a team that has a 50% probability of winning, they'll have a 50% probability of winning that 4th game. A stronger team has a better chance to win that 4th game, just because they have a better chance to win any game. However, I want to take that factor out, by averaging all teams with 3 game winning streaks.

Ilovemymum

recreational MD
Feb 17, 2010
I think you're referring to the record and strength of the team. I'm talking about whether a team won 3 in a row and is going for a 4th win. I'm not talking about what their record was. Also, if we're keeping this as "in a vacuum" no matter what the strength of the team if they won 3 in a row, the 4th game will have the same odds. If a team is super strong and say you can objectively calculate a 75% chance of winning every game (no such thing), then it doesn't matter what they did in those 3 games, the 4th game will have a 75% probability of winning. Same for a team that has a 50% probability of winning, they'll have a 50% probability of winning that 4th game. A stronger team has a better chance to win that 4th game, just because they have a better chance to win any game. However, I want to take that factor out, by averaging all teams with 3 game winning streaks.

Agree with everything here, but wouldn't the team on a 3 game winning streak be more likely to be the team that has a higher winning %? (As they have more winning streaks all over). Hence, any team on a three game winning streak will likely have an above 50 % of extending it another game, in theory?

NYR89

Jul 29, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
They've fixed nearly every gripe people have with GCL and then some, and the best thing is you don't even have to support the NHL!

Do they do playoff games? My biggest love with GCL is that I can start the game from the beginning with the 4 or 430 start times out here on the west coast.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Agree with everything here, but wouldn't the team on a 3 game winning streak be more likely to be the team that has a higher winning %? (As they have more winning streaks all over). Hence, any team on a three game winning streak will likely have an above 50 % of extending it another game, in theory?

The teams with the most winning streaks last year were definitely some of the better teams, but it wasn't by much. 5 streaks for Ana, Bos, Chi, Ott, StL. 4 streaks for Buf, Clb, Mtl, Pit, SJS, Was, Win. No rhyme or reason there. A big laugh at Colorado who had none. LA had just 2 as a good team.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Somewhat... ah... unusual lines for tonight's game.

Guess what position Dorsett is playing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad