JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
Hmm.

Kreider--Stepan--Zuccarello
Pouliot--Richards--Callahan
Hagelin--Brassard--Pyatt
Mashinter--Boyle--Dorsett

???

Pyatt......:facepalm: You need to tell me, Miller can't play on the 3rd line with Hagelin/Brassard? :facepalm:
I agree pyatt should be gone but Miller you can tell isnt quite ready yet. id rather him get big minutes right now

Punxrocknyc19*

I wouldn't hate Pyatt in the lineup so ****ing much if he would just stop with the offensive zone penalties that are totally unprovoked. Those and how slow he is. Dear lord. AV wants a speed game but why the **** is the slowest skater on the team still in????

gotta play him to waive or trade him :shakehead why did Sather even sign this guy??

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Small sample size, but if there is a stat like that (and it's significant), then you'll be more than likely right, unless it's some sort of statistical anomaly.

Last season, teams won on 41 out of 85 opportunities to extend a 3 game winning streak to 4 games. We can call it about half. For me that reinforces my original thought, which is that I'm not raising my expectations for this game.

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
gotta play him to waive or trade him :shakehead why did Sather even sign this guy??

Could you look into those eyes and say no?
4e7b6d0399acc40d5fa394f4bc6c6c7c.jpg

nyrpassion

Vetted.
Mar 10, 2008
Ottawa
Last season, teams won on 41 out of 85 opportunities to extend a 3 game winning streak to 4 games. We can call it about half. For me that reinforces my original thought, which is that I'm not raising my expectations for this game.

haha so in other words, it's just another game and there is no correlation

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
First must win game of the season is tonight...

This.

Girlfriend just bought me this awesome totally authentic heritage Callahan jersey. Can't wait to wear it, especially considering he came off the IR much sooner than expected. What a warrior.

NYR89

Jul 29, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
And we have to listen to doc.

I must be one of the few, but I enjoy the NBC crew. I think Doc and Pierre do a great job. I enjoy the extra tidbits of information they give. Even though Pierre is sometimes a little creepy.

If you had hockey streams that wouldn't be a problem

GCL was given as a gift to me. I watch it through Apple TV which is great to have people over occasionally. Does hockey streams do playoff games too? Can you start games from the beginning? Sometimes the west coast sucks, particularly during the playoffs.

Khelvan

Apr 5, 2002
Oakland, CA
I know about the gambler's fallacy. It's actually somewhat based on reality, but people don't understand it. If you play the roulette 10 takes, then winning one time in 10 tries is more likely than winning it if you play it only one time, on the first try. However, if you lost 9 times in a row, your chances don't go up on the 10th time (nor go down).
This sort of thing gets tricky with a team sport, though. Because player and team performance can actually be affected by things such as perception of current events, we're not talking about a situation akin to playing roulette. These are human beings playing a competitive sport where game & external events actually affect performance, and can affect their likelihood of winning.

I don't think skill-based competitive team sports find a comparable in a purely random game like, say, craps or roulette.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Except that's not what you said.
Well, realistically in today's NHL, no matter who the competition is, I always expect to lose after winning 3 in a row.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

I wonder what the average winning percentage of those teams was (I assume it was better than less than .500 though). Either way, I'm going into this game expecting a win, because if I don't, what's the fun?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
This sort of thing gets tricky with a team sport, though. Because player and team performance can actually be affected by things such as perception of current events, we're not talking about a situation akin to playing roulette. These are human beings playing a competitive sport where game & external events actually affect performance, and can affect their likelihood of winning.

I don't think skill-based competitive team sports find a comparable in a purely random game like, say, craps or roulette.

Yeah, I've conceded that. I was just looking to see if he had stats to back up teams losing game 4 more frequently than average after winning 3 in a row. He seems to have them.

sweranger

Jul 3, 2012
I must be one of the few, but I enjoy the NBC crew. I think Doc and Pierre do a great job. I enjoy the extra tidbits of information they give. Even though Pierre is sometimes a little creepy.

+1. I love Doc and I don't understand why everyone hates Pierre? They are both really passionate and loves the game which makes it a lot more fun to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad