'13 NHL Entry Draft v3.0

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
That is simply not going to happen.

I would love this team to turn into a playoff team as well, but with our talent in the pipe, and with who we have as "pros" right now, it would take HUGE leaps from, Backlund, Sven, and one of Wotherspoon, Seiloff, Ramage, Reinhart to make the playoffs. Im talking like 3rd to 1st line jumps in talent.

Mcdavid is what this team really needs, elite, generational talent, i would be GLAD to suck for a year in the hopes to get Mcdavid for the next 15-20.

Having a two year rebuild in Calgary, isn't really out of reach in my honest opinion.

It's not because we have sick prospects, because we really don't have that many. It's not because the 6th overall this year will turn the ship around; it's because our rebuild will be different than the ones done by Edmonton, Pittsburgh, Florida, Chicago, the Isles, or the dozen other teams that failed at it. Unlike those rebuilds that dropped a ton of salary and simply were bad for half a decade (if not more), Feaster's made it pretty clear Calgary's not going to sit around and wait years before it all comes together. I think he's going to be aggressive in the trade market, and smart in the free agent market.

So unlike those rebuilding teams that sign low to lower-mid level FA's just to ice a team that season (to fail) I think Calgary will actually look to gather higher end players (of course, using $). Also, the trade market will probably be on fire this summer, as there are teams that have no way of improving their team without shedding some contract weight, and Calgary's just the team to take that on, with the addition of some picks and developed prospects.

Dunno, while next year, I think Calgary will blow. I think by the 2014-15 season, this team shouldn't be bottom feeding, because the lineup will look NOTHING like it does now.

TylerSVT*

Having a two year rebuild in Calgary, isn't really out of reach in my honest opinion.

It's not because we have sick prospects, because we really don't have that many. It's not because the 6th overall this year will turn the ship around; it's because our rebuild will be different than the ones done by Edmonton, Pittsburgh, Florida, Chicago, the Isles, or the dozen other teams that failed at it. Unlike those rebuilds that dropped a ton of salary and simply were bad for half a decade (if not more), Feaster's made it pretty clear Calgary's not going to sit around and wait years before it all comes together. I think he's going to be aggressive in the trade market, and smart in the free agent market.

So unlike those rebuilding teams that sign low to lower-mid level FA's just to ice a team that season (to fail) I think Calgary will actually look to gather higher end players (of course, using $). Also, the trade market will probably be on fire this summer, as there are teams that have no way of improving their team without shedding some contract weight, and Calgary's just the team to take that on, with the addition of some picks and developed prospects.

Dunno, while next year, I think Calgary will blow. I think by the 2014-15 season, this team shouldn't be bottom feeding, because the lineup will look NOTHING like it does now.

All that will do is prolong the rebuild IMO, Horton + Weiss does not make our roster a playoff team, you can throw money in the FA market all you want, but there is no ELITE talent there. The Flames want that talent they will be forced to draft it, #6 might turn elite for us but we are still 2-3 more elite pieces from being a playoff team.

The Reason the Oilers/Pens/Chicago etc. decided to suck for a while was because they realized you dont win championships with mediocre talent. Sure we could get lucky and draft a Bergeron or Lucic or Richards later in the draft, but chances are we wont. Plus, do you really want to overpay for free agents? I dont, they care about money over winning IMO(especially if they come to the Flames now).

I think a long rebuild is inevitable, we cant retool like Ottawa because we dont have the pieces they did.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
All that will do is prolong the rebuild IMO, Horton + Weiss does not make our roster a playoff team, you can throw money in the FA market all you want, but there is no ELITE talent there. The Flames want that talent they will be forced to draft it, #6 might turn elite for us but we are still 2-3 more elite pieces from being a playoff team.

The Reason the Oilers/Pens/Chicago etc. decided to suck for a while was because they realized you dont win championships with mediocre talent. Sure we could get lucky and draft a Bergeron or Lucic or Richards later in the draft, but chances are we wont. Plus, do you really want to overpay for free agents? I dont, they care about money over winning IMO(especially if they come to the Flames now).

I think a long rebuild is inevitable, we cant retool like Ottawa because we dont have the pieces they did.

First off, Volica never said that signing UFA's will make the Flames a playoff team; he's saying that it will make the rebuild shorter.

I see what you're saying, but if the Flames trade smartly for players with not the best contracts, it could easily end in our favor. Trade for a Stajan type of contract and then if we're out of a playoff spot come TD, trade him away for a 2nd/3rd/4th/5th round draft pick.

Obviously, it's not that easy, but something along those lines would be nice.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Or you could ignore me bringing up the trade market; and the second FA class Calgary will be able to look at lol.:laugh:

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
That is simply not going to happen.

I would love this team to turn into a playoff team as well, but with our talent in the pipe, and with who we have as "pros" right now, it would take HUGE leaps from, Backlund, Sven, and one of Wotherspoon, Seiloff, Ramage, Reinhart to make the playoffs. Im talking like 3rd to 1st line jumps in talent.

Mcdavid is what this team really needs, elite, generational talent, i would be GLAD to suck for a year in the hopes to get Mcdavid for the next 15-20.

That's ridiculous. You may not know this, but they changed the draft format. So even if Calgary comes DEAD LAST, there's still a 75% that they wouldn't draft 1st.

So you'd gladly come in dead last for a 25% chance? You must have a serious gambling problem if that's the case.

In summary, you need to temper your expectations, because no one has a good shot at him; not even the worst team.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
I know this is just a highlight video, but watch this and tell me you're not sold on Nichuskin. The kid has superstar written all over him.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I know this is just a highlight video, but watch this and tell me you're not sold on Nichuskin. The kid has superstar written all over him.

That whole video, I think he passed the puck intentionally twice, and both times there was a 100% chance he was getting it back. :laugh:

But yes, he looks impressive, especially when two of the highlights were against Canada's junior team, and the rest were against men older than him.

TylerSVT*

That's ridiculous. You may not know this, but they changed the draft format. So even if Calgary comes DEAD LAST, there's still a 75% that they wouldn't draft 1st.

So you'd gladly come in dead last for a 25% chance? You must have a serious gambling problem if that's the case.

In summary, you need to temper your expectations, because no one has a good shot at him; not even the worst team.

25% is better than 5 or 13 or 16 or whatever the other spots are.

Again, if the Flames could be a cup contender next year, i would love that. But they wont be, we need a Mcdavid. Drafting him would be the best thing for this organization. Im pretty sure every GM would sacrifice an NHL season for the highest chance to draft Crosby.

Trae

Calgary
25% is better than 5 or 13 or 16 or whatever the other spots are.

Again, if the Flames could be a cup contender next year, i would love that. But they wont be, we need a Mcdavid. Drafting him would be the best thing for this organization. Im pretty sure every GM would sacrifice an NHL season for the highest chance to draft Crosby.

I'm pretty sure you're wrong...

Gary83*

I'm pretty sure you're wrong...

Duh. You just have to tell your owner that you're intentionally sucking to get an awesome player! They'll understand!

I think the idea of impatient owners will help this rebuild go quicker as they might be more willing to take on bad contracts coming with additional assets.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
I think Ken King said in the season ticket holders meeting that he wants the rebuild to be done right even if it'll take longer

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Nichuskin is an amazing, dominating talent. There are questions about him, but if he's available at 6, I sure as heck hope the Flames have done their homework on him because passing on him could be a massive mistake. However, if they have interviewed him and are not impressed, passing on him would be justified.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Nichuskin is an amazing, dominating talent. There are questions about him, but if he's available at 6, I sure as heck hope the Flames have done their homework on him because passing on him could be a massive mistake. However, if they have interviewed him and are not impressed, passing on him would be justified.

I agree, he has the best chance of dropping a spot to us of any of the top 5 players. Do your homework and assess the risk, because he's clearly a top 5 talent. I know we need a center, but there are loads of top 6 centers in this draft. Grab one with one of the later 1sts and a defenseman with the other.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Nichushkin seems a lot like a Russian Rick Nash. I'd pass if that's his upside. Lindholm or Barkov would both be much better choices. I'd probably pick Monahan over Nichushkin as well.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Nichushkin seems a lot like a Russian Rick Nash. I'd pass if that's his upside. Lindholm or Barkov would both be much better choices. I'd probably pick Monahan over Nichushkin as well.

you wouldnt be happy with rick nash (elite first line winger)?

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012

The thing is, 9/10 times he loses the puck on those end to end rushes. He really doesn't have much offensive creativity and he has not really dominated at any level so far.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Say no to any Russian with a me first attitude. And that is said to very much be the attitude of "the Russian"

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Say no to any Russian with a me first attitude. And that is said to very much be the attitude of "the Russian"

If he does indeed have a poor attitude then I would indeed pass too as there are 2 other very good players to pick from. However, he probably has the highest offensive talent level of any player in this draft. If Feaster and Weisbrod interview this guy and are thoroughly impressed with his character and scouting, it is something I would absolutely at least consider if he falls on our laps. But, in no way do I want to build around a selfish player for a rebuilding team.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
you wouldnt be happy with rick nash (elite first line winger)?

Not when there might be a couple of first line to franchise centremen still on board.

And I don't see Nash as an elite first line winger. He's definitely in the upper tier but still vastly over rated.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Not when there might be a couple of first line to franchise centremen still on board.

And I don't see Nash as an elite first line winger. He's definitely in the upper tier but still vastly over rated.

Having seen him play on an actual team which plays offence (Team Canada), I'd say he's probably been more held down by his teams throughout his career than even Mr. Iginla.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Having seen him play on an actual team which plays offence (Team Canada), I'd say he's probably been more held down by his teams throughout his career than even Mr. Iginla.

Couldn't disagree more, he is a decent first line player but he refuses to sacrifice his body, he often neglects to use teammates, and is very lazy in the defense end. He isn't held back by his teammates because he doesn't use them properly. I am not saying he has had great teammates but he hasn't used them to their strengths either. When Cammy was here the first time Iginla would give him one timers instead of always taking them Nash doesn't think the same way. He has tons of talent but his refusal to use teammates and help the team maximize its ability to succeed rather than just himself makes him very overrated.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

Basically what the TheHudlinator said. Iginla managed to inflate the stats of the guys he played with - e.g. Conroy, Langkow, Huselius, Cammalleri, etc. Nash has never been that kind of player.

Nash in a lot of ways, is looked at by the greater hockey world in the same way Bouwmeester was when he was in Florida. It was the classic case of an above average player with high potential stuck on a poor and out of the way team that was perceived to be holding them back. Much like Bouwmeester and his transition from the Panthers to the Flames, people thought if Nash went to a better team, all of his deficiencies with the Blue Jackets would disappear. But that's not how it usually works and Nash wasn't exactly out-of-this-world with the Rangers.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Hold on here for a second. Rick Nash was two points short of being a point-per-game player this year for the defensive New York Rangers. Why is everyone treating him like he underperformed? He isn't a 100-point guy, but that's not a bad stat line in the NHL. It's better than his last few years in Columbus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad