Post-Game Talk: #13 | Flyers at Sharks | November 7, 2023 | Lost 2-1

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It’s an important distinction that the takes are not everyone is stupid but me. That’s boring. There are always going to be exceptions, but it’s almost always, “Look how stupid everyone is including me.” That matters quite a bit.

I assure you I am an idiot and I know it. Following and caring about this org has become running into a proverbial burning building every day. Some people cope with humor.

I keep arguing that the entire problem is that we are idiots and dorks, and we have a better track record than the Flyers. Of course they're awful when idiots and dorks do better. How can you be good when youre habitually worse than idiot dorks?

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Why are so many people angry in here.

This was a fantastic result. We’re tanking baby.

yeah but we're all really invested in them tanking the right way and developing a real winning tanking culture, and this effort was just well below the golden standard of compete and accountability that is so fundamental to a good tank

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Why are so many people angry in here.

This was a fantastic result. We’re tanking baby.
People are not angry at the result.

People are bothered by the incompetent process.

Why are we not trading Laughton when a team offers a 1st+?
Why are we scratching a 24 year old C when he has 60+ point upside?
Why are we spending 5 million on a 4th line during a "rebuild"?
Why are we adding a 36 year old LHD when we have 4 LHD already on the roster?
Why did we ever try and trade Sanheim for Krug? Screams awful future decisions.
Why did we hire a GM and POHO on the condition they keep the coach?
Why did we keep 3 goalies on the team for no reason instead of banking cap space?
Why is Lappy untouchable despite repeated failures?
Why is Rocky still employed when it's clear he has no clue about the PP?
Why are we not trading Laughton NOW to get Frost into the lineup? One move that helps the future in 2 ways( Frost playing and the picks from Laughton). Needed to be pointed out again how stupid it is.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They'd be dumping $5.7m in cap.

Was it his back when he won 51% off his faceoffs in the first 10 games?
I don’t think it costs a 1st to dump him when it happens, depending on what the trade is.

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020
They'd be dumping $5.7m in cap.

Was it his back when he won 51% off his faceoffs in the first 10 games?
I'm talking about last night's game, not the start of the season, watch him closely on that play where he dropped his stick on the pk or maybe it was 4v4? Anyways he was so slow getting to the stick and looked to have an issue bending to get it, could be wrong, but it definitely seems like he's having a flare up in his back right now

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I keep arguing that the entire problem is that we are idiots and dorks, and we have a better track record than the Flyers. Of course they're awful when idiots and dorks do better. How can you be good when youre habitually worse than idiot dorks?

This is exactly what I mean. Every thread is this meme

FzU8bgnWIAUSgdN.jpg:small

with subtext of people calling themselves idiots.

If the Flyers simply decided every borderline call by flipping a commemorative coin for the last dozen years, we would have flying cars and instant coffee worth a shit. They’re so incompetent that they changed the course of the world.

CerpinTaxt

Apr 1, 2009
KY
Am I the only one - other than maybe Curufinwe (I’m not good with reading sarcasm on the interwebs) - who was happy with this result? I’m not a glutton or masochist, so I didn’t stay up to watch it, but when I saw the score I was legitimately pleased. We don’t want this club accumulating points. We want them maximizing draft position. That’s the plan.
I don't think most are bemoaning the loss moreso it's the ineptitude the decision makers in the org have made and continue to make regarding the team. The org is married to senior advisors, whose glory days are long behind them, and whose ideas for an ideal team are way behind the times. These advisors signed off on an A-bomb of a GM who blew every decision and now the team is left with the fall out. Those same advisors are still around and still very much influential, and the org is obsessed with establishing "culture" rather than adapting to the changes that have taken place in the game. So I think the anger comes from a bleak outlook of the team getting any better. It's gonna take more than just drafting well.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Am I the only one - other than maybe Curufinwe (I’m not good with reading sarcasm on the interwebs) - who was happy with this result? I’m not a glutton or masochist, so I didn’t stay up to watch it, but when I saw the score I was legitimately pleased. We don’t want this club accumulating points. We want them maximizing draft position. That’s the plan.
I was ecstatic

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

If the Flyers simply decided every borderline call by flipping a commemorative coin for the last dozen years, we would have flying cars and instant coffee worth a shit. They’re so incompetent that they changed the course of the world.
Commemorative coin you say?

I got just the one!

E1574299-6BF7-4155-A1E2-051C9F5DFCFB.jpeg
C854F629-68B8-4926-A73A-E6DE6C21D67A.jpeg

jabba2

Oct 28, 2010
Sadly this game was probably needed to convince Briere and Jones that this team is not nearly ready for contention and should still sell off pieces at the deadline.

Losing to an 0-10 team was bad, but this season is clearly in tank mode anyway. I dont think there's any coming back from this.

Reactions: Cody Webster

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

It's actually amazing how aggressively wrong they've been across the board on so many things (Gritty being the outlier, and oh, they may have driven the person responsible out). It's amazing to be that consistently wrong, and without an ounce of self-reflection on their part. And it's sheer luck things aren't worse! It was clearly goofy when TK and Couturier dropped as far as they did; likewise Michkov. For a supposedly cursed franchise, occasional incredible strokes of luck are the only thing keeping them from being way worse.

Turns out the actual curse is themselves

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
remember that guy who came on this board last year, during the Provorov Pride Wars, and tried to convince us it was cool to have sex with horses?

that guy was John Tortorella
Look I was going to come in quietly, ask again for a gently used TK, and be on my way, but I couldn't just let this slide. How did they go from pride to sex with horses?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Look I was going to come in quietly, ask again for a gently used TK, and be on my way, but I couldn't just let this slide. How did they go from pride to sex with horses?

Annual meltdowns are a beloved tradition here. It's.how we survive the season. We can't tell you how or why these things happen, just that we take these gems as we get them

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne

It wasn't really a smooth transition. I don't remember it super well so someone can correct me if I'm wrong but the post was kind of like:

"Hello guys it's John Tortorella here. Looks like you're all some queers. That's pretty sick shit. Real men like Ivan and I have sex with horses and marry horses and envision ourselves to be horses trapped in man-bodies. Morgan Twink didn't come up to my horse farm to play horse games with me so he's benched forever. Sayonara, creeps."

Last edited:

Pet Charles

Oct 10, 2017
I don't think most are bemoaning the loss moreso it's the ineptitude the decision makers in the org have made and continue to make regarding the team. The org is married to senior advisors, whose glory days are long behind them, and whose ideas for an ideal team are way behind the times. These advisors signed off on an A-bomb of a GM who blew every decision and now the team is left with the fall out. Those same advisors are still around and still very much influential, and the org is obsessed with establishing "culture" rather than adapting to the changes that have taken place in the game. So I think the anger comes from a bleak outlook of the team getting any better. It's gonna take more than just drafting well.
It’s a 3-5 year process and it’s folly to get too worked up over the minor happenings that occur in the interim. Briere has been GM for about one half of a hockey year and while Jones was an off-the-wall hire, he’s got persona and I don’t think a president does that much anyway. Overall, I don’t have many problems with their approach. It at least needs more time to evaluate. Doing things like trading Hayes and Provy and trying to trade Sanheim before his NMC kicked in, drafting Michkov instead of Leonard - these are things a pre-Briere front office wouldn’t have done. I happily give them an incomplete grade.

As for the senior advisors, that’s a catch-all to attribute blame whenever we don’t like something. Blame/credit goes to the GM.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
It’s a 3-5 year process and it’s folly to get too worked up over the minor happenings that occur in the interim. Briere has been GM for about one half of a hockey year and while Jones was an off-the-wall hire, he’s got persona and I don’t think a president does that much anyway. Overall, I don’t have many problems with their approach. It at least needs more time to evaluate. Doing things like trading Hayes and Provy and trying to trade Sanheim before his NMC kicked in, drafting Michkov instead of Leonard - these are things a pre-Briere front office wouldn’t have done. I happily give them an incomplete grade.

As for the senior advisors, that’s a catch-all to attribute blame whenever we don’t like something. Blame/credit goes to the GM.

Briere has been around throughout all of Fletcher’s tenure, right at his side.

Jones is in the same band of incestous pigs that have continued to run this team as a country club where accountability in the FO is as common as a unicorn.

It’s not different, and that’s the point. Who has been fired from this thing other than Hextall, Pryor, and Fletcher? Sure another internal hire in Briere isn’t just the same slop.

It’s frankly disgusting how this org is run, and the consequences are seen year after year on the ice, and especially drafting/development.

They are rebuilding? Because they sat on their ass - and took Matvei? Trade Laughton, Hart or TK then talk rebuild. Play the unknown kids instead of known low ceiling veterans, then call it something different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad