Post-Game Talk: #13 | Flyers at Sharks | November 7, 2023 | Lost 2-1

CerpinTaxt

Apr 1, 2009
KY
It’s a 3-5 year process and it’s folly to get too worked up over the minor happenings that occur in the interim. Briere has been GM for about one half of a hockey year and while Jones was an off-the-wall hire, he’s got persona and I don’t think a president does that much anyway. Overall, I don’t have many problems with their approach. It at least needs more time to evaluate. Doing things like trading Hayes and Provy and trying to trade Sanheim before his NMC kicked in, drafting Michkov instead of Leonard - these are things a pre-Briere front office wouldn’t have done. I happily give them an incomplete grade.

As for the senior advisors, that’s a catch-all to attribute blame whenever we don’t like something. Blame/credit goes to the GM.
This isn't minor this ineptitude has been going on for a long time

You're kidding yourself if you don't think the senior advisors don't have a hand in the decision making process of the org. It's fact that hextall was ran out of town because he wasn't collaborative with them. Hence Fletcher

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It’s a 3-5 year process and it’s folly to get too worked up over the minor happenings that occur in the interim. Briere has been GM for about one half of a hockey year and while Jones was an off-the-wall hire, he’s got persona and I don’t think a president does that much anyway. Overall, I don’t have many problems with their approach. It at least needs more time to evaluate. Doing things like trading Hayes and Provy and trying to trade Sanheim before his NMC kicked in, drafting Michkov instead of Leonard - these are things a pre-Briere front office wouldn’t have done. I happily give them an incomplete grade.

As for the senior advisors, that’s a catch-all to attribute blame whenever we don’t like something. Blame/credit goes to the GM.
How can you only blame the GM when his condition on getting hired, is that he won't fire Torts? He became their cuck to get the job. He will continue to be a cuck to keep that job.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
drafting Michkov instead of Leonard

Why are you sure that the calculus would be different there given that only the GM changed? Not the guy heading the scouts. Not the scouts.

Once again, I will beg for everyone to keep in mind that this was a player that tried to force his way here. Still give them the credit for pulling the trigger, but don’t lose sight of how much easier it was for them to make that call. Or that they probably would have been long gone if he didn’t try to force the issue.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014

Hey, a reasonable measured take!

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
You've called all our assessments unreasonable and crazy for years but we keep being correct. At an astonishing rate.

So by definition, our takes havent been as unreasonable and crazy as you claim.

I finally realized what these dopey arguments are. They're the same people who think you can't make a preseason CFB poll because priors are invalid.

Thank Christ these people bet, so at least we get something out of it.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Isn't this the outcome folks want? The team had a heater at the beginning and now is losing as a rebuilding team should.

Reactions: Rebels57

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Jeff Marek Show talking about the game. Words like:

watching the worst game 7 imaginable between 2 inept teams
reminded that there are 31 other teams besides the Sharks, and many are bad
teams like Philly, Mtl are not good
Frost situation is ready to blow up, especially given Torts post game comments

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Happy with the result, still not happy with the process the organization is going to get there.

This team uses culture as shield for failed process in operating as an organization. They didn’t want to move certain players because they didn’t want to make the roster worse & have to wear the losses. Now we’re still sitting at the bottom of the standings yet the standard for roster/lineup construction is if we’re actually competing for a championship.

Pet Charles

Oct 10, 2017
Why are you sure that the calculus would be different there given that only the GM changed? Not the guy heading the scouts. Not the scouts.

Once again, I will beg for everyone to keep in mind that this was a player that tried to force his way here. Still give them the credit for pulling the trigger, but don’t lose sight of how much easier it was for them to make that call. Or that they probably would have been long gone if he didn’t try to force the issue.
I thought I answered that question in the post to which you responded. I provided examples. I didn’t even praise Briere that much. I gave him an incomplete grade.

To recap the second paragraph, you’re saying I’m not wrong to credit Briere for drafting Michkov. We agree. I’m old enough to remember the Chuck Fletcher years, so I consider it an advancement.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
We are only 13 games into a season where the Flyers asked for patience & were predicted by Vegas to be a bottom-5 team in the league. It’s going to be a long season of ups & downs.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
My gut feeling is Tortorella sits Frost next game. He used the "team is doing too well, no room!" excuse last time. Frost had 4 games of stifling defense, team best on-ice stats, and a plethora of high end passes -- only to be sat. The Flyers put up a pathetic effort against the worst team in 30 years. The "the "team is doing too well, no room!" excuse won't fly this time. But he has too much pride to admit a mistake, so he'll double down on his stubbornness to prove a point.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
The "isn't this what you wanted" people negate the fact that we're playing plugs over good players. Turned down a first for Laughton. Have benched a legitimately fine player for no damn reason.

The kids, aside from Brink, have all regressed. And I don't think we owe Torts a damn thing for Brink. So... you want Cutter and Michkov with this coaching staff?

I once broke my collarbone and had to finish the remaining 30 seconds of a game that way... that was less painful than watching our Power Play.

This coaching staff doesn't deserve a job. That's not even really debatable.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Keep hiring retread coaches who have no clue how to have a game plan for the new NHL.
Up next Babcock or Boudreau

Could have gone after Cassidy or Montgomery last year but lets be lazy and settle for retreads
I've been harping this tune the moment they hired that asshole . He has no clue how to coach the modern game and has players in a constant state of mind flux . He is plain and simply the worst coach left in the NHL and his supporters are as dumb as he is .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad