Post-Game Talk: #13: FLYERS 5 at Kings 2, Thursday, Nov. 1, 2018, 10:30 p.m. ET

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Learned something new this morning reading this and Flyers HB :
1. Primary outcome of Flyers hockey game is Sanheim's playing time. The more the better.
2. Primary goal for the season is to get coach fired.

Out of my naivete I thought wins and deep playoffs run/ cup wins were important.

Sorry, I might be too dumb to understand complaints about coach and time distribution when the team plays relatively well and win games.

But you aren't actually naive, and neither are the people calling for Hakstok's head and decrying Sanheim's ice time. There is a correlation between these things and "deep playoff runs/Cup wins" - we are never going to win anything, outside of the occasional regular-season game against the worst team in the league, with this coach coaching the team. The things he does, even during wins, will cost us when it matters, even on the off chance our players can outplay his coaching and get us to a point where it matters. We are not making progress - we are still seeing the same problems we have seen for the past 271 games.

If we want to win something significant, it would help to play our best defensemen more than our lesser defensemen, particularly in the case of Sanheim, who needs to be playing more to gain the experience he will need if we are ever to take that step up.

You know all of this, and when you act surprised that passionate, knowledgeable fans aren't happy that they see negative trends repeating themselves for the fourth year running, it makes you sound smug and superior, and you are better than that. And you also know that we are best friends, so this is not personal.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
1. Primary outcome of Flyers hockey game is Sanheim's playing time. The more the better.

Out of my naivete I thought wins and deep playoffs run/ cup wins were important.

Sorry, I might be too dumb to understand complaints about coach and time distribution when the team plays relatively well and win games.

because the coach is moron and beating bad teams doesnt make him a genus, we got embarassed by pens in the playoffs, i dont know what makes you think doing the same things over and over again is going to make this team a contender because in the last 5 years with same core, that's no progression.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Another great effort from top to bottom last night. To win against any team it takes high effort level or it's a loss. Lets beat the sharks and keep taking the body and wear them down.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Hagg for either Tkachuk :sarcasm:

RYh.gif

CerpinTaxt

Apr 1, 2009
KY
We will see if the team is truly improved on Saturday. Id call a close, 1 goal game a victory (even if its the sharks who win). Half expect the Sharks to blow us out again.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018

Missingmike -- hello

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
But you aren't actually naive, and neither are the people calling for Hakstok's head and decrying Sanheim's ice time. There is a correlation between these things and "deep playoff runs/Cup wins" - we are never going to win anything, outside of the occasional regular-season game against the worst team in the league, with this coach coaching the team. The things he does, even during wins, will cost us when it matters, even on the off chance our players can outplay his coaching and get us to a point where it matters. We are not making progress - we are still seeing the same problems we have seen for the past 271 games.

If we want to win something significant, it would help to play our best defensemen more than our lesser defensemen, particularly in the case of Sanheim, who needs to be playing more to gain the experience he will need if we are ever to take that step up.

You know all of this, and when you act surprised that passionate, knowledgeable fans aren't happy that they see negative trends repeating themselves for the fourth year running, it makes you sound smug and superior, and you are better than that. And you also know that we are best friends, so this is not personal.
Cap, I suspect there is nothing you can say that will offend me. So, please do not worry about my sensitivities.

Perhaps, you and many others are correct, and Sanheim's limited time will cause losses and limited play off run. And, I believe, that coaching matters (and so far this coach has not shown me an ability to achieve a primary objective, but very few have).
But I urge you not to get lost in the weeds of any particular player's playing time over 82 games season. I urge that passionate, knowledgeable fans rooted for the wins and not for the losses that may/ or may not get a coach fired.
As for presenting "smug and superior"- it was not my intent. Sarcastic- yes, condescending- no (and I am sorry if it appeared that way).

But then, I think, you need to ask a lot of people on this thread to be "better than that".

We are best of friends- and that is a beauty of friendship to be able to be honest with each other without recrimination, or allowing each other to "agree to disagree".

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
It's funny that during a game I'd rather have Giroux than Voracek with a breakaway, but in shootouts Voracek has been more than twice as good at converting for the past couple of years.

NHL.com - Stats
Giroux's shootout lack of success over the last few years has been kind of upsetting/puzzling. You can kind of see it in his overall game and how it has changed, but seems like he has the smarts and hands are still good enough to be better.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
You have more time in a shootout to over think of the move you do whereas in a breakaway you most of the time take what you got.
different for a goalie too. Shootouts would be much different if they all started the way Giroux's breakaway did

Reactions: renberg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad