GDT: #13 - Devils at Blues 8pm NHL network - Emergency GDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Our record so far is the result of fortuitous over achievement; we're definitely a bottom 10 team in the NHL in my opinion.

I don't think i can bring myself to actively root against us, but honestly a part of me is beginning to wish this team would just fall apart this year and be out of playoff contention by the deadline so we could sell off some of the veterans for futures.

It's not likely to happen since we play in the weaker conference, but this team needs substantial changes in the worst possible way, i'm growing extremely tired of this same repetitive cycle of disappointment. Half the veterans don't even look like they're trying at this point, we need to jettison the dead weight and start fresh with a new look and some new ideas. Get a decently high pick or two in the upcoming draft and go in a new direction.

I know we were playing with a weakened team tonight, but that's largely the result of the fact our team is comprised of fragile veterans with extensive injury histories. I'm far from shocked that we're missing half our team 15 games into the season, it was almost to be expected really.

I really just want some indication from management that they have some kind of direction for this team going forward, right now they look devoid of ideas and the product on the ice is total garbage.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Well 119 games = 13 this year, 82 last year and the last 24 in 2013. It doesn't really make sense to start from that point in 2013 since they actually lost (or SO won) the previous several games before that point.

They won only 7 of their last 31 games in regulation during 2013
They won 26 regulation games in 2013-14 (9 in OT)
They won 4 regulation games so far this year

So that's actually 37 regulation wins in their last 126 games.

Last edited:

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Well 119 games = 13 this year, 82 last year and the last 24 in 2013. It doesn't really make sense to start from that point in 2013 since they actually lost (or SO won) the previous several games before that point.

They won only 7 of their last 31 games in regulation during 2013
They won 26 regulation games in 2013-14 (9 in OT)
They won 4 regulation games so far this year

So that's actually 37 regulation wins in their last 128 games.

So we win slightly less than 29% of our games in regulation? That's not very good. :laugh:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
And by the way three of those regulation wins came after we were completely out of it lol, two of the games in '13 and the finale last year.

Camille the Eel

Our record so far is the result of fortuitous over achievement; we're definitely a bottom 10 team in the NHL in my opinion.

I don't think i can bring myself to actively root against us, but honestly a part of me is beginning to wish this team would just fall apart this year and be out of playoff contention by the deadline so we could sell off some of the veterans for futures.

It's not likely to happen since we play in the weaker conference, but this team needs substantial changes in the worst possible way, i'm growing extremely tired of this same repetitive cycle of disappointment. Half the veterans don't even look like they're trying at this point, we need to jettison the dead weight and start fresh with a new look and some new ideas. Get a decently high pick or two in the upcoming draft and go in a new direction.

I know we were playing with a weakened team tonight, but that's largely the result of the fact our team is comprised of fragile veterans with extensive injury histories. I'm far from shocked that we're missing half our team 15 games into the season, it was almost to be expected really.

I really just want some indication from management that they have some kind of direction for this team going forward, right now they look devoid of ideas and the product on the ice is total garbage.

I'd say the direction is having four of six defensemen under 23 years old this year - do something similar with the forwards next year - meanwhile don't tank this season at least be in the hunt - maybe that's what they are thinking

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'd say the direction is having four of six defensemen under 23 years old this year - do something similar with the forwards next year - meanwhile don't tank this season at least be in the hunt - maybe that's what they are thinking

What younger forwards are going to play next year, Boucher and Matteau? Maybe Josefson has a second life? Only one of those guys can possibly help the scoring while the old guys keep getting more ineffective and injury-prone.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
The lines for the next game

Rutuu-Zajac-Jagr
Brunner-Elias-Ryder
Boucher-Josefson-Bernier
Gionta-Zubrus-Sislo

Zubrus at center only for faceoffs

Can we call up Matteau and put him in for Bernier?

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
What younger forwards are going to play next year, Boucher and Matteau? Maybe Josefson has a second life? Only one of those guys can possibly help the scoring while the old guys keep getting more ineffective and injury-prone.

ryder/clowe/brunner and zubrus

go for it lou. if tootoo is the next mercenary its a **** hole.........

and about him....... 'tootoo will score zero goals this season for the new jersey devils'

quote me

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
This is looking more like 83-84 by the day if we had Lindback as our netminder.

If you are comparing this team to the '83 team, you have no idea what you are talking about.

This posting board is such a ridiculously spoiled, set of whiny *****es.

12 years was not a long time to wait for a championship - especially if anyone remembers how jazzed you could get just because you had a new goalie like Sean Burke who could stop pucks - or one (1) kid defenseman who could skate like Nieder, or if you had a single player who could be actually considered as 'great' like Peter Stastny in your lineup.

Even though Fetisov was a defensive trainwreck, we were ecstatic that we had him 'cause we jonezed for legitimacy - even if he was at the very end of his career.

This team has an EXCELLENT goaltender in Cory, a kitty corps of 4 potentially above-average NHL defensemen, and one of the games greatest all-time players in Jagr.

There are innumerable reasons to tune in and watch this team.

Yeah, there sure didn't seem like much going on for 2.9 periods tonight, but in reality we had:
- a stupid linechange
- a stupid penalty
- a ridiculously excellent move by an opponent

Lou should quit, Pete should be fired, we can't draft. BLAH BLAH BLAH.

This team isn't going to win the cup this year - but the bigger picture is getting the kids ready to win a cup in a couple of years.

If you can't hack it - just log out, don't watch a game. I'll see you in a couple of years when it is safe to jump back on the bandwagon.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
If you are comparing this team to the '83 team, you have no idea what you are talking about.

This posting board is such a ridiculously spoiled, set of whiny *****es.

12 years was not a long time to wait for a championship - especially if anyone remembers how jazzed you could get just because you had a new goalie like Sean Burke who could stop pucks - or one (1) kid defenseman who could skate like Nieder, or if you had a single player who could be actually considered as 'great' like Peter Stastny in your lineup.

Even though Fetisov was a defensive trainwreck, we were ecstatic that we had him 'cause we jonezed for legitimacy - even if he was at the very end of his career.

This team has an EXCELLENT goaltender in Cory, a kitty corps of 4 potentially above-average NHL defensemen, and one of the games greatest all-time players in Jagr.

There are innumerable reasons to tune in and watch this team.

Yeah, there sure didn't seem like much going on for 2.9 periods tonight, but in reality we had:
- a stupid linechange
- a stupid penalty
- a ridiculously excellent move by an opponent

Lou should quit, Pete should be fired, we can't draft. BLAH BLAH BLAH.

This team isn't going to win the cup this year - but the bigger picture is getting the kids ready to win a cup in a couple of years.

If you can't hack it - just log out, don't watch a game. I'll see you in a couple of years when it is safe to jump back on the bandwagon.

You make good points but I personally don't think it's the losing that's frustrating most of us anymore. I obviously cant speak for anyone else, but I'm honestly used to it now. It really doesn't bother me much at all anymore because I can't seriously expect this team to win the majority of their games as currently constructed. I also don't expect this team to be a playoff team this year the same way I thought they wouldn't be the prior two seasons. It is what it is. The thing that's making it tough is that the team is just straight up unenjoyable to watch. For every bright spot (young defenseman, Cory, Henrique) you have an old folks roster who just don't appear that they can keep up any longer. And that's if they're actually playing and not on the shelf with an injury. Then you have forward prospects who have failed miserably. Underachieving key players like Travis. Finally, the roster is littered with grinders who naturally lack any type of finish.

I think the team is going in the right direction, but they're just a chore to watch right now. I don't want to come off spoiled because it really could be much worse, but the product is hurting, especially when you consider where they were two summers ago.

If they're not going to start winning more frequently, they're going to need some type of change to create some buzz again. Signing Cam and Havlat helped in that regard, but both of those guys are not surprisingly hurt again. What you're left with is last year's team + Severson. It's a stale team that doesn't win enough. People just aren't going to be happy about it.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
You make good points but I personally don't think it's the losing that's frustrating most of us anymore. I obviously cant speak for anyone else, but I'm honestly used to it now. It really doesn't bother me much at all anymore because I can't seriously expect this team to win the majority of their games as currently constructed. I also don't expect this team to be a playoff team this year the same way I thought they wouldn't be the prior two seasons. It is what it is. The thing that's making it tough is that the team is just straight up unenjoyable to watch. For every bright spot (young defenseman, Cory, Henrique) you have an old folks roster who just don't appear that they can keep up any longer. And that's if they're actually playing and not on the shelf with an injury. Then you have forward prospects who have failed miserably. Underachieving key players like Travis. Finally, the roster is littered with grinders who naturally lack any type of finish.

I think the team is going in the right direction, but they're just a chore to watch right now. I don't want to come off spoiled because it really could be much worse, but the product is hurting, especially when you consider where they were two summers ago.

If they're not going to start winning more frequently, they're going to need some type of change to create some buzz again. Signing Cam and Havlat helped in that regard, but both of those guys are not surprisingly hurt again. What you're left with is last year's team + Severson. It's a stale team that doesn't win enough. People just aren't going to be happy about it.

Plus there's been a LOT of off-ice drama in the last few years too between Parise, Kovy, Vanderbeek, the end of Langs' time here...losing just reinforces and adds to the bad morale of all that junk.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010

I hear ya - but I guess my point is:

When Don Lever and Mel Bridgeman and Chico keeping it under 6 goals is all you have to cheer for - yeah, you've got a problem. That's really not having the horses. I never realized how BAD Joe Cirella, our #1 offensive defenseman actually was until I started seeing real defensemen.

Teams get exciting when the young kids step up and start taking control. This happened not too long ago with Parise - and it is happening with the kids on defense and (can it be true?) JJ - and we've been seeing it with Henrique.

Seriously - if you get two more kids on offense (and I'm not saying Boosh and Matteau are the ones - it could be through trade) and you start pushing out the old blood - this team has some serious potential. That's when a UFA deal might matter.

Zajac might never be better than an excellent 3rd line center - but we will need one of those too.

This is just a bridge year - and the team is going to suck for a bit. Cammy and Havlat are the definition of lipstick on a pig.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
It is pretty fitting that zajac of all people couldn't get it done with the chance at the end. Travis is a bum. I sure as hell ain't ever defending that player again. He's pure ****, I can't wait until his underachieving ass is off the team.

Sadly, I was right about him as well. I'm right about everything of late. Clowe, Havlat, Cammaleri. Nothing is going to change though until Lou goes. This same half ass nonsense is going to continue in order to cloak how poorly run the organization is. Were all these horrendous moves done rashly to appease ownership? Inquiring minds want to know.

Last edited:

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
We got shut out, even if we scored 3 within the last 2 minutes. We got shutout by jake ****ing allen for 118 minutes. Time to line up the entire team on the edge of the trench and just let them go from the pain and give them a neck-shot. Im so glad i only saw highlights.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
We got shut out, even if we scored 3 within the last 2 minutes. We got shutout by jake ****ing allen for 118 minutes. Time to line up the entire team on the edge of the trench and just let them go from the pain and give them a neck-shot. Im so glad i only saw highlights.

A: No we didn't get shut out. You can't just throw goals away no matter when they were scored.

B: Jake Allen is actually an excellent goalie who might be better then Elliot.

C: Blues have the second best GAA in the league.

It is annoying to lose two in a row, but this Blues team is good, and they play a very stifling and frustrating game. It is not fun being on the other side of their game because of it.

There is a point to be frustrated, but there is also overreaction. Lots of guys don't post when we win, and only show up for loses clamoring for firings and to blow the team up. We aren't the Ducks or anything, but we aren't Buffalo either (watch some of their games and come back and lets talk about uninspiring hockey).

Guys are entitled to your opinions, but personally I think some of it is a bit overboard. My two cents.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Honestly, I'm surprised we scored 3 goals tonight given how injured our forwards are. Granted, it was too little too late, but at least they didn't just roll over, which would have been pretty easy to do given the circumstances.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
There is a point to be frustrated, but there is also overreaction. Lots of guys don't post when we win, and only show up for loses clamoring for firings and to blow the team up. We aren't the Ducks or anything, but we aren't Buffalo either (watch some of their games and come back and lets talk about uninspiring hockey).

Guys are entitled to your opinions, but personally I think some of it is a bit overboard. My two cents.

Even in the some of the recent wins, they were outgunned and saved by Schneider. It all boils down to how the team has been constructed and it's not fooling anyone. Why go through the deception of signing all these older, injury prone players? It's like hastily doing your homework without any forethought, hoping and praying that the instructor doesn't really inspect the answers carefully. That's what the devils have done as an organization the last couple years. Eventually, you're going to be outed.

Last edited:

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
The Clowe 'collision' is very concerning. There really wasn't much contact. I wonder if he's at the thresh-hold where he can't take anymore hits.

kiwidevil

How did the young D play tonight? Saw on twitter that Severson didn't have a great one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad