13-14 HFBoards Yahoo Fantasy Premier Keeper League Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I have no idea what would make it a reset then? I thought the definition of a reset was no keepers. What else is there to it?

I was assuming the idea was to go to a paid league under a different format and maybe even using a different service?

I'm down for that if we can retain our eight keepers. That's what I'm saying.

parabola

BOlieve dat
Jul 8, 2004
ಠ_ಠ
The whole idea between keeper leagues is to have consistency in your roster every year. Just because of that there will be less trades/moves than a rotisserie or H2H league. In other leagues you can make more trades because next pool everyone is available again anyways. In this one you're better off keeping struggling players that have potential to have bounce back seasons. And the other players (that aren't keepers) no one really wants.

I was assuming the idea was to go to a paid league under a different format and maybe even using a different service?

I'm down for that if we can retain our eight keepers. That's what I'm saying.

If you can retain your 8 keepers there would be no point in a reset. Could just keep everything and move it to a "paid" league... But i'm definitely not in favor of anything like that.

Sidenote: I love how the year that Balls and I made less than 10 moves each the avg. moves was unbelievably low. Good times.

Balls Mahoney

Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Can we revisit the Backes or Iginla argument?

Backes has outplayed Iginla in some respects but they have pretty similar offensive numbers and Iginla has been a PPG through December and looks to be heating up.

I probably made a mistake but I still feel Iginla will put up similar stats. I always liked Backes on the wing but never thought he'd adjust to Center as well as he has. We'll see if Backes and the Blues can keep it up in the second half.

But look man, I need experienced players to counter balance the youth. Grabbing the best NHL player over the last fifteen years worked out. Same reason I grabbed Selanne and Jagr (should've grabbed him this year) in the past. I really wanted consistency this year with how streaky my core is.

Plus he's playing on the former team of the greatest American in history.

tim-thomas-hockey-headshot-photo.jpg

What?

Last edited:

BrockH

Nov 12, 2008
Toronto, ON
But look man, I need experienced players to counter balance the youth. Grabbing the best NHL player over the last fifteen years worked out. Same reason I grabbed Selanne and Jagr (should've grabbed him this year) in the past. I really wanted consistency this year with how streaky my core is.

You do realize this is fantasy hockey, right? Your youth don't perform any better by virtue of you having experienced veterans to go along side them.

Also, their numbers are not similar. They have the same number of assists, and Backes has double Iginla's goals. I guess by your logic Backes is just about as good a goal scorer as Ovechkin?

Finally, in what world is a 36 year old athlete expected to be more consistent than a 29 year old? It's not like Backes was some unknown rookie. If anything the argument should be that Iginla had historically been better and you were taking the long shot instead of the sure thing, hoping Iginla could sustain his high numbers into his old age.

Balls Mahoney

Aug 14, 2008
Legend
You do realize this is fantasy hockey, right? Your youth don't perform any better by virtue of you having experienced veterans to go along side them.

Also, their numbers are not similar. They have the same number of assists, and Backes has double Iginla's goals. I guess by your logic Backes is just about as good a goal scorer as Ovechkin?

Finally, in what world is a 36 year old athlete expected to be more consistent than a 29 year old? It's not like Backes was some unknown rookie. If anything the argument should be that Iginla had historically been better and you were taking the long shot instead of the sure thing, hoping Iginla could sustain his high numbers into his old age.

Iginla is beating Backes in +/- and SOG while putting up respectable points. Plus Iginla is beginning to break out finally on a new team in a new situation. Like I said it was a gamble to bet on an inconsistent 50 point player who's had trouble adjusting to his position. I had enough gambles on my team at that point in the draft I felt that I went with a sure thing and the career PPG player. Especially considering that Iginla was joining the top line of one of the most elite teams in the league. The Blues have been largely inconsistent up until this season.

Balls Mahoney

Aug 14, 2008
Legend
This week is messed up. So everyone in the league plays today and then no more games until Friday? A lot of bizarre things are going to happen this week.

CRDragon

[̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
Dec 2, 2006
Vancouver
13 assists and 7 PPP today......almost already matched my assists and PPP from last week.

BrockH

Nov 12, 2008
Toronto, ON
they have pretty similar offensive numbers

Iginla is beating Backes in +/-

But look man, I need experienced players to counter balance the youth.

You said offensive numbers, +/- is not an offensive number. You also said you were drafting for experience to offset youth, not consistency to offset volatility. And if you're going to bring up SOG and +/- then you can't just ignore the fact that Backes has 34 more PIM than Iginla. Which would you rather have:
6G, 34PIM or +3 and 34SOG. Couple that with this:

Do you want a full season of me posting Iginla's picture and hyping his awesomeness in this thread while he outplays Backes... because that's where this is going right now.

And I guarantee you Iginla outplays Backes this year.

It's a no brainer that Backes is out playing Iginla from a fantasy perspective at this point. Looking at the numbers in December, that could change. Looking at the history, Iginla has historically been better even in recent years. But there's no debating that your initial arguments were wrong, and there's no debating who's been better YTD. You deserve to eat a little crow.

Last edited:

Balls Mahoney

Aug 14, 2008
Legend
You said offensive numbers, +/- is not an offensive number. You also said you were drafting for experience to offset youth, not consistency to offset volatility. And if you're going to bring up SOG and +/- then you can't just ignore the fact that Backes has 34 more PIM than Iginla. Which would you rather have:
6G, 34PIM or +3 and 34SOG. Couple that with this:

It's a no brainer that Backes is out playing Iginla from a fantasy perspective at this point. Looking at the numbers in December, that could change. Looking at the history, Iginla has historically been better even in recent years. But there's no debating that your initial arguments were wrong, and there's no debating who's been better YTD. You deserve to eat a little crow.

I'll take the extra SOG and +/- as those two have historically been where my team needs help. We're not even at the halfway point of the season and Iginla just woke up offensively.

By the way, it's looking like our regular season meetings could result in a

BDD_TB_sweep_7710_ap.jpg

for the second greatest American in history (me)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad