1290 Radio, Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
the gymnastics from JT to rationalize Niku being in the AHL.... thankfully Brandon bringing some common sense imo
What if we lose Sbisa?!!!!

I heard one guy say he isn’t perfect defensively all the time!

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I don’t like the new format for Jets post game show with Kevin O- not letting many local callers thru- has these so called experts. I like to hear from the fans.

bek816

Mar 17, 2012
I don’t like the new format for Jets post game show with Kevin O- not letting many local callers thru- has these so called experts. I like to hear from the fans.

Those same "fans" that called in for years and years suggesting we trade Slater + Antropov for Jonathan Toews?

Reactions: Jets 31 and Gm0ney

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
90% of the callers were absolutely brutal... They either need to screen their callers or get rid of them....Seems they have chosen the 2nd option

Reactions: Gm0ney

Zippity

Feb 3, 2013
Put Rick Ralph back on

Reactions: GNP

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
P
90% of the callers were absolutely brutal... They either need to screen their callers or get rid of them....Seems they have chosen the 2nd option
Im with you on this one. Post game call in shows are probably the worst job in sports media.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

Some callers are brutal, but many are quite interesting with former hockey players calling in, as well as hearing Trevor Kidd who'd been an NHL goalie -- I find interesting.

I also like to see how the general public is feeling about the Coach, and how the club is being run.

I agree with one poster above --bring back Rick Ralph --I thought he was pretty good.

slurpee addict

Winter is Coming
Jul 13, 2018
Winnipeg
Listening to Munz carry water for Maurice’s Niku comment just caused my head to explode.

Yeah. Great comment. I have a hard time understanding their arguments here. Maurice is quoted as saying that Niku is playing well, so he should stay down in the AHL (sic), yet the other day they brought up Spacek because he was "playing so well." This radio show will never delve too deeply into those sorts of issues however. Munz and other guest experts will all spew the party line. Very little objectivity or independence and that's too bad.

I will say that I liked Westwood disagreeing with Toth yesterday on the whole Don Cherry issue. Listening to Toth try and rationalize and defend Cherry's comments was uncomfortable and devoid of any arguments or sense.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The stuff about how they like what Niku's doing with the Moose and they like how things are going on the Jets so there's no urgency to call him up?

eeeewoooookaaaaaay, I guess.

I'm glad they like what Niku is doing. I wish they didn't like what Sbisa's doing quite so much. Show me a good coach and I'll show you a good goalie, or two covers it I guess.

I have a friend, a casual fan, who was at the Avs game. He will probably never go to another Jets game. Apart from goaltending, the Jets have mostly played like **** this season. Not entirely, but mostly. There is a price to be paid for that.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I still listen , apparently i like to be bothered . :laugh:
giphy.gif

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
yeah hearing Munz on Niku this morning was aggravating. So far this year (according to Mo's explanations), we've had a guy brought up a month into the season "because he had a great training camp and needs to be rewarded" even though he hadn't done much since camp. We've had a guy brought up because he has been doing well in the AHL so far. And, we've had a guy sent down to the AHL...and play well...and apparently needs to play well in the AHL for a full season before he's considered ready. Niku needs to gain "consistency." What does that mean? Because I'm pretty sure there's some vets this season who could use some time in the AHL to gain consistency too if that's how it goes...

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Yeah. Great comment. I have a hard time understanding their arguments here. Maurice is quoted as saying that Niku is playing well, so he should stay down in the AHL (sic), yet the other day they brought up Spacek because he was "playing so well." This radio show will never delve too deeply into those sorts of issues however. Munz and other guest experts will all spew the party line. Very little objectivity or independence and that's too bad.

I will say that I liked Westwood disagreeing with Toth yesterday on the whole Don Cherry issue. Listening to Toth try and rationalize and defend Cherry's comments was uncomfortable and devoid of any arguments or sense.

They brought up Spacek because he was playing well, but that was because they needed to call up a forward, not because someone else was being taken out of the lineup for their play. Slight difference.

Toth and Westwood should stay away from anything political.

Reactions: kittiecarlyle

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
The stuff about how they like what Niku's doing with the Moose and they like how things are going on the Jets so there's no urgency to call him up?

did the big show comment on this? want to hear how JT spins this in favor of maurice lol

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
yeah hearing Munz on Niku this morning was aggravating. So far this year (according to Mo's explanations), we've had a guy brought up a month into the season "because he had a great training camp and needs to be rewarded" even though he hadn't done much since camp. We've had a guy brought up because he has been doing well in the AHL so far. And, we've had a guy sent down to the AHL...and play well...and apparently needs to play well in the AHL for a full season before he's considered ready. Niku needs to gain "consistency." What does that mean? Because I'm pretty sure there's some vets this season who could use some time in the AHL to gain consistency too if that's how it goes...
It's puzzling at best. He's consistently been their best player for 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->