1290 Radio, Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaperRockChamp

Oct 19, 2009
Wpg
Is there anyone worse than Edmunds? I actually have no issue with Jim Troy Brandon..
Someone who's been around hockey that long should have some interesting insight but he's literally no better than having a long term Jets fan speak on the radio.

Troy: "Paulie, The Jets on average take shots from further out from the net compared to the rest of the league, could this be an issue going forward?"

Edmunds: "Troy i'll let you answer that as that's your area but i will summarize by saying that we must wait and see how it all plays out as you know it's a process."

Troy/Jim/Brandon: 10 second silence

Thanks Paul

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Is there anyone worse than Edmunds? I actually have no issue with Jim Troy Brandon..
Someone who's been around hockey that long should have some interesting insight but he's literally no better than having a long term Jets fan speak on the radio.

Troy: "Paulie, The Jets on average take shots from further out from the net compared to the rest of the league, could this be an issue going forward?"

Edmunds: "Troy i'll let you answer that as that's your area but i will summarize by saying that we must wait and see how it all plays out as you know it's a process."

Thanks Paul
think this was Munz earlier today, but your point still stands

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
think this was Munz earlier today, but your point still stands

I used to like Munz but so far this season he's been a brutal homer. I expect homerism from these guys but some of the things coming out of Munz's mouth are borderline insane.

I'm a homer and I don't mind the rose tinted lenses look at the team but the allergic reaction to anything slightly critical is bad.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I used to like Munz but so far this season he's been a brutal homer. I expect homerism from these guys but some of the things coming out of Munz's mouth are borderline insane.

I'm a homer and I don't mind the rose tinted lenses look at the team but the allergic reaction to anything slightly critical is bad.
the worst was when he filled in for Toth when he was on vacation. Munz would remain silent during certain topics or responding to the fan-line in hopes of not saying anything that would be perceived critical of Maurice and the Jets

Reactions: Steve1964

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Yeah - Munz is the one listed in guest list for this morning’s Big Show. Beyak/Munz/Edmunds... all add zero to the analyst role. It’s painful and boring to listen to them get interviewed in the morning.
Beyak and Edmunds are pbp announcers, they should be able to describe what is happening in real time. Not sure why they have a recurring appearance on the show for insight of any kind. It's outside their niche other than riding the plane with the team and "sensing the mood"

Munz, on the other hand, goes by "analyst" and for him to have no insight, and be unwilling to learn about the stats that fans are curious about is just nuts.

Reactions: drumzan and Jets 31

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012

Thanks Paul
Edmonds seemed like he had the hockey knowledge of a casual fan when he was hosting the big show. You can tell when he went to the announcing side the Jets PR pumped him with every word he has said ever since.

Reactions: wgpsensfan

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Yeah - Munz is the one listed in guest list for this morning’s Big Show. Beyak/Munz/Edmunds... all add zero to the analyst role. It’s painful and boring to listen to them get interviewed in the morning.
The only interesting part with them is giving an insight into what narratives the Jets want to push especially on line ups. They all explain away Maurice’s nonsensical line up with even more nonsensical tire pumping or deflating of players.

They were pumping up Bitetto in the preseason, you knew he was making the team.

Crapping on Roslovic in the preseason, he wasn’t going to get into the top 6 in the foreseeable future.

Pumping Sbisa right now, enjoy the AHL Niku!

Reactions: drumzan

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Beyak and Edmunds are pbp announcers, they should be able to describe what is happening in real time. Not sure why they have a recurring appearance on the show for insight of any kind. It's outside their niche other than riding the plane with the team and "sensing the mood"

Munz, on the other hand, goes by "analyst" and for him to have no insight, and be unwilling to learn about the stats that fans are curious about is just nuts.
Munz knows damn well what the stats are and what they mean. Hes Part of the Jets PR team, all the announcers are. They can only talk about the positives of the Jets. I always laugh when they get asked to talk about something negative or when the question is an either/or between two players that leaves the player not picked in a negative light. They never answer. The guys on the BS must be messing with them when they ask those types of questions.

Reactions: wgpsensfan

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Other than the fact that I recognize Beyak's voice, I don't know how you can tell the difference. Different degrees of annoying, I guess.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
The only interesting part with them is giving an insight into what narratives the Jets want to push especially on line ups. They all explain away Maurice’s nonsensical line up with even more nonsensical tire pumping or deflating of players.

They were pumping up Bitetto in the preseason, you knew he was making the team.

Crapping on Roslovic in the preseason, he wasn’t going to get into the top 6 in the foreseeable future.

Pumping Sbisa right now, enjoy the AHL Niku!
This has sadly been accurate for years now.
As soon as you saw Bitetto with #2 on his jersey in the pre-season you just knew he was on this team.

Reactions: Spock

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Brandon severely underutilized imo when the 3 are on-air. i think he has very good insight and whenever one of Westwood or JT are away (like today) i think it really shows when he has more of a pronounced role.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Brandon severely underutilized imo when the 3 are on-air. i think he has very good insight and whenever one of Westwood or JT are away (like today) i think it really shows when he has more of a pronounced role.

Brandon is the producer I believe. He would have other tasks to do while the show is going on.

As for guys like Munz, Beyak, Sawyer, Edmonds - they aren't journalists. Expecting them to dig into stories to get the truth behind certain things like a Lawless would have done is putting too big an expectation on them. They also, apart from Sawyer, didn't really play the game or coach it. Their analysis is going to be pedestrian.

The big issue with them is the same it is with a lot of these guys. They travel with the team, they see them every day, they develop personal relationships with the players. Some people are not good at criticizing people they are close with, in this case they likely feel part of the team, to some degree. They certainly aren't the only people in that position to do it - they're about the same level of homerism as most broadcast teams in the NHL.

Toth and Westwood are different - they aren't part of the team and don't hang around them. They should feel more freedom to be critical if they want to be. Westwood tries but often comes off uninformed or like he's reading stats and someone says they mean X, but he doesn't really understand them so he can't defend his argument beyond "Well their XG isnt that great". Toth just likes to be contrarian, and also seems to think the team knows best because they are pros so don't question it.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Brandon is the producer I believe. He would have other tasks to do while the show is going on.

As for guys like Munz, Beyak, Sawyer, Edmonds - they aren't journalists. Expecting them to dig into stories to get the truth behind certain things like a Lawless would have done is putting too big an expectation on them. They also, apart from Sawyer, didn't really play the game or coach it. Their analysis is going to be pedestrian.

The big issue with them is the same it is with a lot of these guys. They travel with the team, they see them every day, they develop personal relationships with the players. Some people are not good at criticizing people they are close with, in this case they likely feel part of the team, to some degree. They certainly aren't the only people in that position to do it - they're about the same level of homerism as most broadcast teams in the NHL.

Toth and Westwood are different - they aren't part of the team and don't hang around them. They should feel more freedom to be critical if they want to be. Westwood tries but often comes off uninformed or like he's reading stats and someone says they mean X, but he doesn't really understand them so he can't defend his argument beyond "Well their XG isnt that great". Toth just likes to be contrarian, and also seems to think the team knows best because they are pros so don't question it.
yeah he is part of the producing side as well i think. i meant underutilized in an analyst or commentator manner, should have clarified.

i don't have a problem with Toth having a different opinion, but the facts or information, data, evidence etc he uses to justify it is extremely faulty. also, some of his opinions are trash :laugh:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Just me, but I see TSN in Winnipeg as just being a bunch of guys sitting around a table in a bar drinking their beers and shooting the shit about the Jets... with one major difference.... if they criticize the bar too much, they will get tossed out.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Other than the fact that I recognize Beyak's voice, I don't know how you can tell the difference. Different degrees of annoying, I guess.
Actually it’s pretty easy. Munz sounds like he always has a cold and is stuffed up. Edmonds sounds like he’s going to say P-P-P-Power Play every other sentence...and the other sentences his cell phone cuts out.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
I find it hilarious Bob Irving refuses to say ‘TSN’. He’ll say “national CFL TV rights holder” or something along those lines. I’m sensing there was some bad blood there at some point. It’s comical how he regularly criticizes them.

Steve1964

Nov 21, 2019
I'm new here. My take will begin with this.....
TOTH is beyond gawd awful!!! For one take that bag of marbles outta your mouth. And ffs grab at least a Grade 6 education. I am so glad I am not the only who sees what a total clown Toth is. And oh yeah, love when he "tries" to say Odd's Shark. Ard's Shark? Oird's Shark? Yard's Shark?

Having said all that I am glad to be here among like minded people. Cheers!

Reactions: DRW204 and Jetter76

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Part of it is just skill or lack thereof. The odd time that a Winnipeg media member does criticize the team, it gets weird and personal. Like Lawless with his Atlanta Five hit piece, Friesen suggesting the team was full of juvenile delinquents who needed offseason chaperones, etc.

They could do a bit of research and come up with constructive criticism. Just an example off the top of my head, the Logan Stanley pick. Discuss the fact that blueliners who fail to produce at the junior level tend to become non-NHLers. Maybe talk up the counterpoint, that Stanley has improved gradually as an offensive player. Give us real analysis. But that’s completely lacking from our media. “Hey Chevy has dun gud drafting, he must’ve got this one right!”. That’s about the level of analysis we can expect.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->