TSN Radio: 1290 am - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The Big Show: All concussion talk, all the time

I rarely listen to the show anymore but caught a few minutes today and that was painful.

Westwood on the radio this morning: :soap: I don't care what the players want we need to helicopter parent them to protect them from head injuries, head trauma even if they don't want to be protected.

Me thinking: Ok... I do get the logic based on what science is teaching us.

Westwood on twitter: shows video clips of MMA fighter or boxer caving the head in on his or her opponent with a monster KO??

Me: Troy you are being a Hypocrite if you celebrate the head trauma moments in this sport while railing against head trauma in Football and hockey??

Troy: No I'm not its different?

Me: :surrender

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
I rarely listen to the show anymore but caught a few minutes today and that was painful.

Westwood on the radio this morning: :soap: I don't care what the players want we need to helicopter parent them to protect them from head injuries, head trauma even if they don't want to be protected.

Me thinking: Ok... I do get the logic based on what science is teaching us.

Westwood on twitter: shows video clips of MMA fighter or boxer caving the head in on his or her opponent with a monster KO??

Me: Troy you are being a Hypocrite if you celebrate the head trauma moments in this sport while railing against head trauma in Football and hockey??

Troy: No I'm not its different?

Me: :surrender

Those two examples are not really the same thing.

I doubt Westwood was saying that you stand a fighter up and send him back into the fight.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Those two examples are not really the same thing.

I doubt Westwood was saying that you stand a fighter up and send him back into the fight.

I have never heard him speak out against a fighter who gets rocked or gets a standing 8 count needing to be protected like he said Buff should have been. If he thinks head trauma is a terrible thing then he should quit condoning it and actually glorifying it in another “sport”.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Concussions, performance enhancing drugs and kneeling/other politics. That’s what Westwood is most interested in talking about, and what has always been the dominated topics on the Big Show since the beginning.

Reactions: sipowicz

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Concussions, performance enhancing drugs and kneeling/other politics. That’s what Westwood is most interested in talking about, and what has always been the dominated topics on the Big Show since the beginning.
He loves his soap box social issues, not realizing that people who want to hear a long discussion on the topic by the experts in the field aren't the people tuning into sports radio at 6:00 AM.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
He loves his soap box social issues, not realizing that people who want to hear a long discussion on the topic by the experts in the field aren't the people tuning into sports radio at 6:00 AM.

I like his passion for Winnipeg teams but the SJW politico thing is weird for a jock show? One of the big reasons I quit listening.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
If I accidentally leave my radio on 1290 after a Jets game and that is the station playing when I start my car in the morning on the way to work, it physically makes me nauseous. The programming on this station is truly terrible and while it is nice to have an all sports station in Winnipeg in theory, 90% of it is utterly unlistenable. There are a ton of things that need fixing but in my opinion, the most egregious by far is bringing people like Edmonds and Beyak on to be “insiders” or “experts” insults the intelligence of the listeners. Without exaggeration, neither of them have ever said anything even remotely insightful and I’m not sure if it’s because they are corporate shills or that they no next to nothing about hockey but I’m betting it’s a bit of both.
The 730 slot is Jets propaganda. They travel with the team and work for the team. When the Jets get their Cup ring so will they. The BS guys rarely try to go deep into what they are saying just accept it. But it’s hilarious when they ask a question where they compare two players and they phrase it so the answer has to put down one of them, then the tap dancing begins.

Then there was Westwood taking Munz to task over concussion protocol. As an employee of the Jets Munz can’t say anything other than everything is working as it should and there are no problems. Westwood just jamming it at Munz and Toth that it’s a broken system. Hilariously uncomfortable.

Bauming has been worse in this regard for what seems like the last year. I used to really like his reporting and I guess I still do. But now he’s much more editorial and just kissing the “Canadian Mafia” arse. Him talking about the great steps forward the Bombers made this year was nauseating.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Yeah any of the broadcast guys are a useless interview.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
A big part of the problem is the NHL and its veil of secrecy. All they want is to hype the product and keep the fans on a need to know basis while hopefully emptying your wallet. I'd love to hear from guys like Keane or Roy on the player development or listen to Woodcrofts game play theories............but oh no. That's off limits.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Okay have listened to 1290 the last few days and in regards to the new Seattle team, they have been talking about the team starting in the 20/21 season not the 20/20 season. WTF is the 20/20 season..there is a 19/20 season but everyone is saying the 20/20 season and it bugs me. Unless they are sure there will be a lockout and play won't begin until after Jan 1, 2020.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Okay have listened to 1290 the last few days and in regards to the new Seattle team, they have been talking about the team starting in the 20/21 season not the 20/20 season. WTF is the 20/20 season..there is a 19/20 season but everyone is saying the 20/20 season and it bugs me. Unless they are sure there will be a lockout and play won't begin until after Jan 1, 2020.
Since it was reported by the NHL the 1st season would be 21/22 they sound they are having a lot of difficulties over at 1290. I don't really listen much any more so no 1st hand knowledge of what they are discussing these days.

Reactions: Spock

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
i hope KO is sitting home right now listening to the guy guest-hosting his show and taking notes on how to conduct an interview without stomping all over your guest anytime they try and answer one of your questions...

Reactions: nhlpro and basplit

Gagne12

Dec 7, 2018

Starting at the beginning of the 2021 season (September 2021) not the 20/21 season. Rather than starting in 2020 (September 2020) (not the 20/20 season which isn't a thing).

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Starting at the beginning of the 2021 season (September 2021) not the 20/21 season. Rather than starting in 2020 (September 2020) (not the 20/20 season which isn't a thing).

Starting in the 21/22 season because there was no guarantee the arena would be ready in time for the 20/21 season, all pretty easy to understand unless you're employed by TSN 1290!:sarcasm:

Neither Toth or Westwood come across as being particularly bright, with only those two in a room the smartest thing is the lightbulb!

Reactions: LucianoBorsato

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
The Big show was especially stupid and annoying today with that idiotic discussion about righties and lefties and why?

I felt my IQ dwindle by the second listening to that hog wash.

I start my drive on the way to work listening to 1290; usually when I am on Archibald approaching Marion I start getting interference from the power lines and I can't hear it very well and I tune into one of the FM stations. Then I realize I haven't missed anything at all.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Anybody listening about a half hour ago? Some babbling about WOW tournaments and GNC sponsor keeping the players fit and healthy. W . T . F!!!

I know it is Sat afternoon but, Jesus H Christ, why don't they just close it down?

Or is this just more of my grumpy old man? Are there actually people who would listen to that ______ ?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

:laugh: What you are calling the 19/20 season they are - quite correctly, IMO - calling the 2020 season. No /, not the 20/20 season. That is the year the Stanley Cup is awarded - at the end of the 2019/2020 season, or the '20 season for short.

Seattle is now having their XD in spring of '21 - after the 21 season. Their first season of play starts in the fall of 2021. That is the '22 season.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
The Big show was especially stupid and annoying today with that idiotic discussion about righties and lefties and why?

I felt my IQ dwindle by the second listening to that hog wash.
It was alot of nonsense. If you want to be a sniper? strong hand on the bottom. Anyone who disagrees, hasn't shot that way.

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011

Pretty sure they are saying 2021 season versus 2020 season, not 20/21 season versus 20/20 season

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Anybody listening about a half hour ago? Some babbling about WOW tournaments and GNC sponsor keeping the players fit and healthy. W . T . F!!!

I know it is Sat afternoon but, Jesus H Christ, why don't they just close it down?

Or is this just more of my grumpy old man? Are there actually people who would listen to that ______ ?

they run that absolutely laughable videogame "sports" show all f***ing weekend long! It's utter dreck! I LOVE videogames. I totally HATE that show! It's embarrassing...listening to those goofs (and I can only do it for a couple minutes at the most) try and sound like actual broadcasters covering real, serious stuff is just hilarious(ly awful). There HAS GOT TO BE something more relevant that they could afford to put on to fill time on the weekend. Surely to god there has to be...

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
they run that absolutely laughable videogame "sports" show all ****ing weekend long! It's utter dreck! I LOVE videogames. I totally HATE that show! It's embarrassing...listening to those goofs (and I can only do it for a couple minutes at the most) try and sound like actual broadcasters covering real, serious stuff is just hilarious(ly awful). There HAS GOT TO BE something more relevant that they could afford to put on to fill time on the weekend. Surely to god there has to be...
Seems like an easy formula. Run NHL coverage 24-7. Maybe the programming just doesn't exist?

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Seems like an easy formula. Run NHL coverage 24-7. Maybe the programming just doesn't exist?

you would think so right? I have to assume that crap (the vidgame show) is essentially free for them to broadcast. It must be extremely cheap time filler...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad