TSN Radio: 1290 am - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
they run that absolutely laughable videogame "sports" show all ****ing weekend long! It's utter dreck! I LOVE videogames. I totally HATE that show! It's embarrassing...listening to those goofs (and I can only do it for a couple minutes at the most) try and sound like actual broadcasters covering real, serious stuff is just hilarious(ly awful). There HAS GOT TO BE something more relevant that they could afford to put on to fill time on the weekend. Surely to god there has to be...

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. :laugh: Re run stuff from earlier in the week, even pickup Leaf talk from the TO station. :(:ha: Run a canned announcement that broadcasting will resume 1 hr before game time. Dead air.

This tells me that they really are not even trying. They have given up on having sports radio in Winnipeg. If not for their contracts to broadcast Jets games, they would just turn out the lights.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Todays show topic was offer sheets...in particular will a competitor offer one to Patrick Laine and would the Jets match.

One caller suggested Toronto & Winnipeg should do each other "a solid" and each offer Mathews & Laine & 7 million then simply match...:help:

Perhaps they should start off each segment by explaining the topic at hand to their listeners.

Reactions: Spock

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Todays show topic was offer sheets...in particular will a competitor offer one to Patrick Laine and would the Jets match.

One caller suggested Toronto & Winnipeg should do each other "a solid" and each offer Mathews & Laine & 7 million then simply match...:help:

Perhaps they should start off each segment by explaining the topic at hand to their listeners.

Which of them is going to do the 'splainin'? They might have to hire a new guy who actually knows the CBA something. :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Only one team in the league can sustain that

How many sports radio stations does TSN operate across the country? They could swap recorded content for free. NVM, looked it up they operate in 6 of the 7 Canadian NHL markets + Hamilton. They miss only Calgary. I wouldn't mind getting coverage of those other 5 teams in the 'off' hours compared to utter shite that they are programming now. They could use existing staff to put together some kind of recorded 'Around the League' stuff.

For that matter, they could offer some of that time to local amateur sports organizations. A 24/7 sports radio station should be able to do a better job of covering the wider sports scene. Very low cost and can't possibly be as bad as some of the garbage they are putting out now. They are not even trying - really. Zero effort.

PaulPooley

Nov 18, 2018
Obviously most of us only bother with 1290 to hear Jets talk, for what that’s worth. But there’s only so much conversation you can wring out of a single Jets game on any given day.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Obviously most of us only bother with 1290 to hear Jets talk, for what that’s worth. But there’s only so much conversation you can wring out of a single Jets game on any given day.
They could do what we do and talk about Petan before, during, after, and between games.

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
Can anyone tell me why The Big Show keeps mentioning "Duncan Keith and Dustin Byfuglien as a second pairing for the Jets" this morning? Are they taking a rumour and running with it?

Also, my knowledge of human behaviour is moderate, but Westwood seems very happy this morning, could that be due to the absence of Toth?

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
well I think the D Keith talk is all just pie in the sky fantasy stuff they got imagining.

And I wouldn't be at all surprised if Westwood isn't a little happier without having to try and debate Toth all morning. Too bad Westy isn't so good at the hosting task...

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
How many sports radio stations does TSN operate across the country? They could swap recorded content for free. NVM, looked it up they operate in 6 of the 7 Canadian NHL markets + Hamilton. They miss only Calgary. I wouldn't mind getting coverage of those other 5 teams in the 'off' hours compared to utter ****e that they are programming now. They could use existing staff to put together some kind of recorded 'Around the League' stuff.

For that matter, they could offer some of that time to local amateur sports organizations. A 24/7 sports radio station should be able to do a better job of covering the wider sports scene. Very low cost and can't possibly be as bad as some of the garbage they are putting out now. They are not even trying - really. Zero effort.

I'm not going to touch the "not even trying" part - I know someone who works at 1290 and they definitely are working hard.

But you might be on to something. Edmonton station 1260 used to run a "best of" show where they took some of their best interviews from the day and ran it at 6pm (of course now they pulled it and replace it with Jim Rome :rolleyes:). But you wouldn't think it would be too hard to do something like that across all the stations to run in off hours. Heck throw in a national call-in show to run at midnight or something instead of whatever they run now (ESPN radio feed?).

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm not going to touch the "not even trying" part - I know someone who works at 1290 and they definitely are working hard.

But you might be on to something. Edmonton station 1260 used to run a "best of" show where they took some of their best interviews from the day and ran it at 6pm (of course now they pulled it and replace it with Jim Rome :rolleyes:). But you wouldn't think it would be too hard to do something like that across all the stations to run in off hours. Heck throw in a national call-in show to run at midnight or something instead of whatever they run now (ESPN radio feed?).

Doesn't mean that the employees don't put in a days work for a days pay. Means that the owners - TSN, aren't even trying, don't give a damn, put it however you like, it comes down to the same thing and that is pretty bad.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Westwood is terrible period, he really shouldn't even be on the air, Westwood is a male version of Kim Kardashian!
They really should fire them all and start from scratch. In all honesty the Big Show is the least listenable sports radio I've ever come across. Start with a host who is personable, knowledgeable with a bit of a witty/funny streak. Then get a co-host that can play off that in a conversational/playful tone. Above all stay away from soap box preaching on social issues. People can tune into CBC for that and listen to people who actually have some expertise on the issue at hand.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
They need to hire a former NHL player on the morning show, someone with real insight into the game. Anything is better than Brandon’s jr A background that he references as if it was a pro career. The entire morning show lacks credibility towards the sport they talk most about.

Jim Slater was always a funny well spoken guest, and last time he was on air he joked he would love a job in radio.

Someone like that would bring so much more, real insight that would make the show so much more interesting. Westwood blabbering about Duncan Keith leading us to a cup is as about as insightful as some wishful fanboy posting on a forum.

I actually do not mind Toth, he makes me laugh time to time, doesn’t take himself to seriously, but he can get annoying when he over shares his opinions. Having a real hockey guy on the show would keep him at check.

Reactions: sipowicz

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
How many sports radio stations does TSN operate across the country? They could swap recorded content for free. NVM, looked it up they operate in 6 of the 7 Canadian NHL markets + Hamilton. They miss only Calgary. I wouldn't mind getting coverage of those other 5 teams in the 'off' hours compared to utter ****e that they are programming now. They could use existing staff to put together some kind of recorded 'Around the League' stuff.

Following up on this theme and a few other posts.
I would love for them to use other TSN radio content to fill in the gaps. When Raceline radio or whatever else comes on I would certainly rather here about Van / Edm / Ott / Tor / Mtl etc....
(k maybe not Toronto we hear enough about them)

On top of that those radio stations do from time to time talk about the Jets!!!!! Package all those little nuggets up.

The Westwood pushing for us to trade Niku and our first or whatever he said for Keith was so annoying. It felt like he thought we were getting Keith from 4 or 5 years ago. He also PUT zero thought into the cap implications. Keith on an expiring contract would work if it didn't cost is big to acquire him... but neither of those things are possible.

EDIT: I do use the I "heart" radio app to listen to 1290 and from time to time will switch over to those other Canadian stations when needed. I'll let you in on a secret... I've heard some pretty bad stuff on these other stations too. It's not just us.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Following up on this theme and a few other posts.
I would love for them to use other TSN radio content to fill in the gaps. When Raceline radio or whatever else comes on I would certainly rather here about Van / Edm / Ott / Tor / Mtl etc....
(k maybe not Toronto we hear enough about them)

On top of that those radio stations do from time to time talk about the Jets!!!!! Package all those little nuggets up.

The Westwood pushing for us to trade Niku and our first or whatever he said for Keith was so annoying. It felt like he thought we were getting Keith from 4 or 5 years ago. He also PUT zero thought into the cap implications. Keith on an expiring contract would work if it didn't cost is big to acquire him... but neither of those things are possible.

EDIT: I do use the I "heart" radio app to listen to 1290 and from time to time will switch over to those other Canadian stations when needed. I'll let you in on a secret... I've heard some pretty bad stuff on these other stations too. It's not just us.

Bad stuff on those other stations too? So maybe their audiences would like to hear some thoughtful, informed content about the Jets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->