TSN Radio: 1290 am - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
To burrow Lawless’ term, it will be fascinating to see how Vegas ends up this year. On one hand I can see them pretty competitive around 10-11th spot at the TDL (in the mix with WPG, DAL, LAK etc.) but selling their players for picks and basically tanking the rest of the way. I think this year will be their most competitive out of the next 2-3 years though since they have those older guys who are on short 1-2 year deals (ie: Neal, Plekanec, Shipachyov, Marchessault, Rantaa, Enstrom?) and likely be trading them off rather than building around them and then going more youth following years

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
Happened to be in my vehicle this morning and listened to the Big Show for the first time in awhile and I AM NOT a JT fan, but found "Troy Boy" going over the top on Toth's take that Helle needed a veteran presence around the room this year.

Troy would not stop jumping on him and kept hammering Toth about Pavelec. I did not hear anything in the segment to me that Toth indicated anything about Pavelec. Troy would not shut up about it though...I almost felt sorry for Toth.

My take on Troy is that he reads HF Boards too much and is trying to ride the general dislike of Toth to greatness. He's got a long ways to go to radio greatness and his stats take on things will get much weaker now that Garrett isn't around to prop things up.

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
Happened to be in my vehicle this morning and listened to the Big Show for the first time in awhile and I AM NOT a JT fan, but found "Troy Boy" going over the top on Toth's take that Helle needed a veteran presence around the room this year.

Troy would not stop jumping on him and kept hammering Toth about Pavelec. I did not hear anything in the segment to me that Toth indicated anything about Pavelec. Troy would not shut up about it though...I almost felt sorry for Toth.

My take on Troy is that he reads HF Boards too much and is trying to ride the general dislike of Toth to greatness. He's got a long ways to go to radio greatness and his stats take on things will get much weaker now that Garrett isn't around to prop things up.

Listen a bit more often and you will know Toth was talking about Pavelec. He goes on and on about Pavelec and then through in a 'well it doesn't need to be Pavelec, but someone like him.'

Curt in WPG

Sep 8, 2011
Winnipeg
Kevin O has been let go by CTV. He was pretty good filling in for Rick Ralph the other day (trial run?). He would fit in well anywhere on 1290.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Kevin O has been let go by CTV. He was pretty good filling in for Rick Ralph the other day (trial run?). He would fit in well anywhere on 1290.

So CTV Winnipeg is also axing sports from it's newscasts!:help:

Hopefully Kevin O lands somewhere in the sports world!

Actually liked Hustler with RR, in that time slot sounded 'big city" !

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
True enough but no local newscast sports coverage hurts teams like the Blue Bombers when they lose coverage for the casual fans!

Shawn Churchill is being retained as Sports Director and will provide sports stories as part of the newscast. I expect they will still offer up some coverage of local teams. What we'll lose are the MLB, NFL, NBA, PGA, tennis, etc and people can find better coverage of those sports elsewhere anyway. Although, I will miss Plays of the Week. :)

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Is there any chance that 1290 could ever get the bombers rights from CJOB? They seem to be going hard with bombers coverage with the pre and post game show and cfl60. It's strange to me to have the pregame without actually broadcasting the game itself..

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Is there any chance that 1290 could ever get the bombers rights from CJOB? They seem to be going hard with bombers coverage with the pre and post game show and cfl60. It's strange to me to have the pregame without actually broadcasting the game itself..

TSN 1290's signal is so crappy you couldn't get it outside the perimeter!:help:

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice

I think the Bombers signed a 7 year deal back when 1290 was just starting out, right before the top guy at cjob went to screw up the Bombers for a few years.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I think the Bombers signed a 7 year deal back when 1290 was just starting out, right before the top guy at cjob went to screw up the Bombers for a few years.

So wasn't that like 6 years ago?

Edit: From what I remember, the only reason 1290 got the Jets rights was because it was included in the deal with the TV rights - Bell insisted that they wanted both. At the time Chipman seemed to indicate he hated to lose CJOB, which does have better reach and overall better ratings. The Bombers may feel the same way. I know in Edmonton the local CJOB-equivalent is CHED, and it continues to have the rights to both NHL and CFL (of course, Oilers being with Sportsnet, and the only local sports radio being TSN, eliminates the same kind of synergy you see in Winnipeg).

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
TSN 1290's signal is so crappy you couldn't get it outside the perimeter!:help:

Uh, nope! Clear as a bell quite a bit further out than that. Might need to venture beyond the perimeter to realize it's not all a barren wasteland out here, 'Peggers!

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
If I had my choice the Afternoon Ride should be Hustler, Ralph and Weibe. There is good chemistry between Ralph and Huster but I also think they need a bit of moderater/balancer when Ralph and Hustler get into a heated debate. Also good to have someone connected to the media ala Lawless. Then maybe have Kevin O do the rona roundtable.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
1290 guy now suggesting that the Jets would be smart to give up a first-rounder to keep Enstrom.

Good grief...

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
1290 guy now suggesting that the Jets would be smart to give up a first-rounder to keep Enstrom.

Good grief...

Was that before or after Edmonds was quoting Enstrom's stats with the Thrashers 7 years ago. :shakehead I had to turn it off and will try back again next week when Edmonds is removed from the show.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Was that before or after Edmonds was quoting Enstrom's stats with the Thrashers 7 years ago. :shakehead I had to turn it off and will try back again next week when Edmonds is removed from the show.

Maybe Edmonds forgot Enstrom's 1 goal season last year, and the fact the guy plays less games each season with less results on a almost vertical downward curve since 2010!

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Uh, nope! Clear as a bell quite a bit further out than that. Might need to venture beyond the perimeter to realize it's not all a barren wasteland out here, 'Peggers!

Yeah, No. Outside the perimeter but not far outside the perimeter. **** its not a very good signal even inside the perimeter.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Which one of you called in this morning and said "the Jets were the only team that didn't improve after last nights expansion draft"

KurtG8

Apr 4, 2015
Which one of you called in this morning and said "the Jets were the only team that didn't improve after last nights expansion draft"

Lol We were also laughing about that at work. :laugh:

I bet hes part of the Vocal Minority. lol Tim was his name i think

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Heard the now typical 6:45 Toth-westwood disagreement this morning I think Toth was more correct today about McPhee laying off some guys or taking a low price to generate some goodwill than Westwood's explanation that McPhee is an idiot outright.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad