TSN Radio: 1290 am - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Last thread was at the post limit. A few posts from the last thread:

Starting to think the main Jets Media (Hnidy, Edmond, Munz etc) think we are all idiots. Edmonds going on and on how Pavs gives us the best chance to win and provides stablity back there. WTF. Enough with this already. Pretty sure Helle could have started last night. I have no issue with Pav being a back up for now but this is getting ridiculous. If i were Wheeler, Little or Enstrom i would demand a trade out of here. The careers of these guys r being wasted.

I don't think it's some intentional misdirect by these guys when they're talking about veteran presence, stability, etc. Hnidy won a Cup because of "veteran presence", so he thinks it's a great thing to have. Munz and Edmonds have probably played goal in their basements against their kids a couple of times, so they think they know what they're talking about with it. They don't. They think that the last two games of Hellebuyck's career define the whole thing, and that if we're getting that level anyway, we should play the "veteran" because he knows how to play himself out of it - but Pavelec isn't playing badly for him, he's just a bad goalie. This is normal Pavelec.

I guess if you're used to playing with this poor level of goaltending every night, he might give you the best chance to win because you've managed to somehow win games in spite of him in the past.

I follow CFL closely and am a long-suffering bomber fan. I am also a big NFL fan - I have no problem listening to TSN's NFL perspective as they get good commentary, even on the Big Show. I don't see the NFL as a threat AT ALL to the CFL game, except in the wonky Toronto market where they have always hankered for their own NFL team. Having said that, Toronto is a unique market... saturated with sports events that clamour for the fan dollar. I listen to 1290 for sports, and get world news and Canadiana-comedy, ideas perspective on CBC.

Edmonds was calling semi-pro baseball not that long ago and somehow that makes him an expert on the Jets or anything NHL. It's pathetic. Maybe he fools some people or his bosses but not anybody with a sliver of hockey intelligence.

Or maybe he's just inexpensive and that would fall right in line with everything else TNSE 1290 does.

Saw a comedian bomb in Brandon a few years ago but he did say one thing funny. "I guess if I was any good I wouldn't be in Brandon". A salient point indeed.

Hnidy won a cup because Tim Thomas put up arguably the best playoff performance in history. That team kinda sucked otherwise imho.

Nailed it.

Carry on.

Personally, I really like Hnidy, but I am well aware that a majority of the people with a voice in the hockey community know next to nothing about goaltending. It's unfortunate, but at this point, I don't really care about what people in the media say re: Pavelec, as long as the management make sensible decisions about him.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Hehe Westwood is kinda calling Toth on his BS this morning.

Toth - "Paul Maurice has said they will go with the guy who gives them the best chance on a nightly basis..."

Westwood - " is that a quote?"

Very funny convo going on revolving around unsustainable shooting percentages. Toth is hilariously dumb.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Hehe Westwood is kinda calling Toth on his BS this morning.

Toth - "Paul Maurice has said they will go with the guy who gives them the best chance on a nightly basis..."

Westwood - " is that a quote?"

Very funny convo going on revolving around unsustainable shooting percentages. Toth is hilariously dumb.

Why does Toth do that to himself? Gets himself into a ramble - enters the loss-of-logic pit of no return - suffers the slings and arrows of outrageous misfortune. Less is more, dude. Just be honest.

MikeRahl

Feb 20, 2010
The lead-in for JetStream this morning opened stating that with 30 games left in the regular season the Jets control their own destiny.

I guess if they go on a Columbus-esque winning streak that would be controlling their own destiny.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
The lead-in for JetStream this morning opened stating that with 30 games left in the regular season the Jets control their own destiny.

I guess if they go on a Columbus-esque winning streak that would be controlling their own destiny.

They do, their destiny involves which course to buy a membership at.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Hustler talking about how Chris Thorburn would be an 80-goal scorer in the league decades when discussing the top players of all time ago:shakehead. Yes, we know today's players are in better shape than those of yesteryear but these kinds of statements are asinine.

Give the players from the 40s - 80s the knowledge (nutritional, workout regimens) and technology (skates, lighter equipment, bigger and lighter equipment for goalies, composite sticks) of today's players and they would likely still dominate as they did when they played. I'm quite sure a Chris Thorburn playing hockey in past decades would have been relegated to the fourth line in the NHL or as a first or second line player in the AHL or IHL.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
They are talking about Kessler's kid taking his shot for him at the ASG this morning. Huss went off on it yesterday afternoon...and I sorta agree with him (and Toth :amazed:) actually. Look, it was cute and a nice father/son thing and all that, but I still found it annoying. The ASG is bad enough as it is...pretty much the only thing it has going is the opportunity to just watch your favorite player do stuff. As dumb as it all is, I still looked forward to seeing what Laine did with his chances and I'd have been kinda pissed if he subbed a kid in or something. I mean the event isn't really about the players and certainly not their kids...

Last edited:

zsam

Mar 26, 2016
Winnipeg
Here we go again ... "coach is running the goalie that gives them the best chance to win" ...

MikeRahl

Feb 20, 2010
Hustler talking about how Chris Thorburn would be an 80-goal scorer in the league decades when discussing the top players of all time ago:shakehead. Yes, we know today's players are in better shape than those of yesteryear but these kinds of statements are asinine.

It's not that big of a stretch TBF.

He's already at 52 goals. It's not unreasonable to think he could hit 80 if everyone was drinking beer and smoking between periods and he was on the same training regimen he's on today!

:naughty:

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone

Give the players from the 40s - 80s the knowledge (nutritional, workout regimens) and technology (skates, lighter equipment, bigger and lighter equipment for goalies, composite sticks) of today's players and they would likely still dominate as they did when they played. I'm quite sure a Chris Thorburn playing hockey in past decades would have been relegated to the fourth line in the NHL or as a first or second line player in the AHL or IHL.

This strikes me as a rather strange thing to be so upset over.

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB

I have always thought he is complete idiot this cements that.

In a six team league 80% of today's players would be in the minors. Thorburn could not make the AHL back then.

I don't think people realize how good you had to be to make it in a league with only 120 players as compared to 700 !

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
They are talking about Kessler's kid taking his shot for him at the ASG this morning. Huss went off on it yesterday afternoon...and I sorta agree with him (and Toth :amazed:) actually. Look, it was cute and a nice father/son thing and all that, but I still found it annoying. The ASG is bad enough as it is...pretty much the only thing it has going is the opportunity to just watch your favorite player do stuff. As dumb as it all is, I still looked forward to seeing what Laine did with his chances and I'd have been kinda pissed if he subbed a kid in or something. I mean the event isn't really about the players and certainly not their kids...

I agree with Toth and Huss as well. To me the ASG is already a joke so no big deal. But many fans take this stuff seriously and expect the players to do the same. This was the first time in 20_years I've watched anything ASG related and it was all because of Laine. I would have been seriously ticked if he had sent his kid, nephew or mom to shoot for him

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I realize I rant a bit when talking about why Edmonds is on the big show in the morning (and to a lesser extent Beyak). These guys are PBP which is a broadcasting job and they are far from experts in hockey. They have access which can provide some interesting content but past that it's painful. Less so with Beyak but he is still way too old school with his goofy plus minus, face off %, Hits, and veterans schtick).

This morning I listened to Mitch Peacock (Moose PBP) and he was very solid. Mitch talked about Roslovic's trip to the all star game and what it meant to him as a step in his development and some insight into him as a person. Then the boys asked about Comrie and Mitch discussed content that came from an interview he had with Eric as well as his insights into the kid. He talked about how Eric had been happy with his game but disappointed with his results up to this previous road trip where things came together and he was very good. On top of that he discusses things like the team's lack of 5v5 productively and their reliance on special teams to win games. My description doesn't do it justice but Peacock comes across as a calm and very insightful person who is a good guest for a show if you want to learn something.

Last edited:

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I have always thought he is complete idiot this cements that.

In a six team league 80% of today's players would be in the minors. Thorburn could not make the AHL back then.

I don't think people realize how good you had to be to make it in a league with only 120 players as compared to 700 !

Sorry but I think you're wrong. In a completely silly hypothetical case where you took Thorburn as he is now and dropped him back in time to an earlier era, he would dominate. The level of training and coaching todays players undergo is worlds away from what was done 50 or more years ago. The number of players in the league doesn't matter at all when 85% of those players don't even bother to stop smoking and drinking on game nights. Players now are physically bigger, in way better shape, and better trained. Sure, 80% of today's players would be in the minors back then...along with 100% of the players from back then. :D

Now, Huss went on to agree that this stuff has to be era adjusted...you can't make that sort of silly argument. The better way to think about it is this - what would a guy with Thorburn's fundamental skill set have accomplished under the conditions that guys back then had to deal with? If he'd gone through the same training and all that as all the other guys back then he wouldn't be the player he is now...

Last edited:

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I realize I rant a bit when talking about why Edmonds is on the big show in the morning (and to a lesser extent Beyak). These guys are PBP which is a broadcasting job and they are far from experts in hockey. They have access which can provide some interesting content but past that it's painful. Less so with Beyak but he is still way too old school with his goofy plus minus, face off %, Hits, and veterans schtick).

This morning I listened to Mitch Peacock (Moose PBP) and he was very solid. Mitch talked about Roslovic's trip to the all star game and what it meant to him as a step in his development and some insight into him as a person. Then the boys asked about Comrie and Mitch discussed content that came from an interview he had with Eric as well as his insights into the kid. He talked about how Eric had been happy with his game but disappointed with his results up to this previous road trip where things came together and he was very good. On top of that he discusses things like the team's lack of 5v5 productively and their reliance on special teams to win games. My description doesn't do it justice but Peacock comes across as a calm and very insightful person who is a good guest for a show if you want to learn something.

He was great when he did the sports for CBC. Was very happy to see him pick up the gig he has now, after leaving CBC and I bet he really enjoys it.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012

You have to understand these guys work for the Jets. They get fed their lines and they repeat. Edmonds is obvious. You listen to him now vs when he was on the BS and he is able to speak to hockey much more fluently on the narrow subject matter he's been fed. He was dumber than Toth.

I actually like his play by play when I catch it though.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Ah, but nobody likes Kessler, so who cares? :laugh:

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?

I don't care about the ASG, but it's so annoying when the kids show up at post game press conferences.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I don't care about the ASG, but it's so annoying when the kids show up at post game press conferences.

You watch the post game press conference? If it was Laine I can see that part but that's your own fault for not only watching the presser but to watch Kessler to makes you one of the most intense masochists I've ever heard of.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
You watch the post game press conference? If it was Laine I can see that part but that's your own fault for not only watching the presser but to watch Kessler to makes you one of the most intense masochists I've ever heard of.

My brain is hurting so bad, but I really want to understand this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad