TSN Radio: 1290 am - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
Heard the now typical 6:45 Toth-westwood disagreement this morning I think Toth was more correct today about McPhee laying off some guys or taking a low price to generate some goodwill than Westwood's explanation that McPhee is an idiot outright.

Caught most of that this morning too. As I noted the other day, not a fan of JT...but also becoming less of a Westwood fan. (maybe I'm just catching all the bad stuff??)

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I find myself disagreeing with Westwood more and more, and alligning with Toth more and more.

Troy was arguing that with Toth that he disagreed they could have iced a much better team last night than they did and that they chose not to.

If not the case, McPhee maybe the most incompetent GM alive.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Lol We were also laughing about that at work. :laugh:

I bet hes part of the Vocal Minority. lol Tim was his name i think

Mike i believe (Tim was immediately after him), he is a little out to lunch on his takes....

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
Yeah, No. Outside the perimeter but not far outside the perimeter. **** its not a very good signal even inside the perimeter.

Maybe this depends on your understanding about how far "far outside the perimeter" is... I listen daily in Steinbach, and routinely have it on beyond La Broquerie and Richer, even out as far as Lac du Bonnet.

If you're having trouble within city limits, man I just don't know... It IS an AM signal, maybe there's just too much interference in the air?

Can honestly say I've never had this complaint for myself.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Maybe this depends on your understanding about how far "far outside the perimeter" is... I listen daily in Steinbach, and routinely have it on beyond La Broquerie and Richer, even out as far as Lac du Bonnet.

If you're having trouble within city limits, man I just don't know... It IS an AM signal, maybe there's just too much interference in the air?

CJOB is quite a bit more powerful though. I was picking it up on I-29 south of Sioux Falls, SD last summer.

pictman

Mar 7, 2012
pictish hills
I live 1 1/2 hours ( 80-90 miles) from the city and get 1290 just fine.CJOB does have a stronger signal but they cut it to almost nothing at 8 pm.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

AM is less susceptible to city interference than FM is. It also typically has a much wider reception area. My current car doesn't seem to have a particularly good AM antenna. 1290 is the station that suffers most - because it has a weak signal.

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
RADIO NERD, ACTIVATE!

CJOB is quite a bit more powerful though. I was picking it up on I-29 south of Sioux Falls, SD last summer.

Would you believe 1290 and 680 go out on the same strength of signal? It's true, they both go out on 50,000 watts.

You are right though, you can pick up 680 from farther away. And if we had a broadcast on 590 in Winnipeg on the same 50,000 watts, you'd receive it even farther away. The lower the number on your dial, the farther the signal will carry on the same amount of wattage.

I live 1 1/2 hours ( 80-90 miles) from the city and get 1290 just fine.CJOB does have a stronger signal but they cut it to almost nothing at 8 pm.

If they didn't do that, many of the AM signals would interfere with each other. Solar radiation keeps things in check during daylight hours, but AM radio becomes mostly unuseable at night for long distance broadcast. It's too noisy.

AM is less susceptible to city interference than FM is..

Actually, you've got that backward. The principle reason FM radio researched was to find a way to eliminate the interference problems that go hand-in-hand with AM radio.

RADIO NERD HAT OFF!

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I actually miss Lawless. Since he has been gone it's like there's a complete cone of silence around anything Jets related. Lawless would atleast give us some additional context on moves based on insider knowledge or create speculation. Now there is pretty much nothing

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
RADIO NERD, ACTIVATE!

Would you believe 1290 and 680 go out on the same strength of signal? It's true, they both go out on 50,000 watts.

You are right though, you can pick up 680 from farther away. And if we had a broadcast on 590 in Winnipeg on the same 50,000 watts, you'd receive it even farther away. The lower the number on your dial, the farther the signal will carry on the same amount of wattage.

If they didn't do that, many of the AM signals would interfere with each other. Solar radiation keeps things in check during daylight hours, but AM radio becomes mostly unuseable at night for long distance broadcast. It's too noisy.

Actually, you've got that backward. The principle reason FM radio researched was to find a way to eliminate the interference problems that go hand-in-hand with AM radio.

RADIO NERD HAT OFF!

Ever heard of multi-path? There are different issues and it isn't simple. Gets complicated and goes beyond my expertise. It isn't just about inherent characteristics of AM vs FM but also about their relative assigned frequency bands and many other issues.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Rick Ralph keeps saying the Jets need backup goaltending. No, Rick, they need goaltending. Period. They don't have a number one.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
well, the line of reasoning is that having quality back-up goaltending might have made a big difference all round last year. I mean if Hutch had managed to give us .910 we'd have won a few more games and Helly might have benefited from the relief and done a bit better himself...could have been the difference in making the playoffs.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
well, the line of reasoning is that having quality back-up goaltending might have made a big difference all round last year. I mean if Hutch had managed to give us .910 we'd have won a few more games and Helly might have benefited from the relief and done a bit better himself...could have been the difference in making the playoffs.

The Jets had nobody last year who could be described properly as a number one. They still don't. Helly might grow into one but he isn't there yet, and gambling that he will this season is putting too much at risk. So the Jets need a number one from somewhere, not a backup.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I think what we need is decent goaltending. Whether we get it from Helly or somebody else isn't the issue. If we can bring somebody in who can provide even average work when/if Helly falters then that's good. if we end the season with overall .915 sv% from whoever we have in net it would be a big improvement...

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Speaking of Lawless being gone..... can we please not have Ace Burpee on with Hustler? He seems like a nice guy and probably good on his own show, but not a sports show.

DougieSmail

Feb 11, 2017
Overall 1290 is a bit bush league in terms of programming. They desperately need a 10 am to noon show, which could then be followed by Rick Ralph leading into Hustler. Repeating an hour of the Big Show at 10 is a joke.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Speaking of Lawless being gone..... can we please not have Ace Burpee on with Hustler? He seems like a nice guy and probably good on his own show, but not a sports show.

yep, ace better stay where he is. Actually don't mind RR there until they start talking about my pillow which is just instant change station every time. One thing to have them as a commercial, but to keep bringing it up in regular conversation is just soooo stupid.

Wondering if they are maybe serious about moving RR to afternoons with Huss & putting Kevin O in RR's place.

thereturn

Jul 10, 2011
Winnipeg

Yeah, I didn't mind a different voice at first, but his participation when they had guests on was pretty cringeworthy.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
yep, ace better stay where he is. Actually don't mind RR there until they start talking about my pillow which is just instant change station every time. One thing to have them as a commercial, but to keep bringing it up in regular conversation is just soooo stupid.

Wondering if they are maybe serious about moving RR to afternoons with Huss & putting Kevin O in RR's place.

From what I heard this is the most likely outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad