TSN Radio: 1290 am - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Not sure what was hard to understand.

Top 4 Dmen on expirings are excellent assets that could be flipped for high draft picks and prospects. They offer flexibility, they provide an immediate service and they are hot commodities come TDL, aka Ron Hainsey.

From the get go I stated LVK would be best served going heavy on Dmen as they are the most tradeable and sought after assets.

Seems dumb to me. Like maybe you want a couple guys like that to have a decent team in 17/18, but for the most part I'd think they'll be after assets that are under team control for a bit. If I'm Vegas I'm only taking a guy like Enstrom if the Jets pay me a decent pick up front to take him.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Pretty sure the guy is right - as far as he goes. The NHL and NHLPA are also parties to the SPC and they don't agree. It is not both parties agreeing. It is all parties agreeing.

Collective bargaining overrides simple law. They've agreed to the parameters of SPC's, and all parties must work within that framework.

As an example in my workplace we have staff that work 4 12's in their rotation which would entitle them to overtime pay under basic labour laws but our collective agreement overrides it.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Collective bargaining overrides simple law. They've agreed to the parameters of SPC's, and all parties must work within that framework.

As an example in my workplace we have staff that work 4 12's in their rotation which would entitle them to overtime pay under basic labour laws but our collective agreement overrides it.

Are you agreeing with me or arguing? I agree with you. 'Cause two different ways of expressing same reality. :)

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Radio: "You're listening to the royal sports NHL power hour"

Me: "Oh good, expansion lists came out yesterday! What's going to happen??"

Host: "Up now we have (golfer) to talk (golf tournament). Next up we have (football person)."

Me: *turns off radio during NHL power hour the day after expansion lists are announced*

barrywpg

Nov 17, 2011
To my shock (and dismay) I found myself agreeing with Jim Toth this AM.
JT was saying the VGK wouldn't make the playoffs for 3 to 5 years and Troy (and to a lesser degree Brandon) were totaling ragging on him for that position, basically ridiculing
JTs position. Troy figured the VGKs would be fighting (and winning) for a playoff stop in the first year.
JT was making a reasoned argument - such as asking Troy who the Knights would beat out for a playoff spot. Troy didn't really have an answer, just stuck to his position.

Kind of like backwards day to me. Did they have a coin flip and Toth got to pick his position first, and the other 2 days had to disagree.

Bob McCown on PTS today was saying 5-8 years for Vegas to be competitive.
I agree, they're picking the other teams 9th or 10th best players, and seem to be trading have of those for future draft pick.
Good strategy long term, not for short term playoff success.

barrywpg

Nov 17, 2011
TSN 1290 seems to have found a commercial, that while not quite as bad as the pillows
makes me cringe every time I hear it.
The one for the skydiving center that is basically just people screaming.
I guess its supposed to be screams of joy, but to me its just people figuring they are about to die. Not going to entice me.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
JT was saying the VGK wouldn't make the playoffs for 3 to 5 years and Troy (and to a lesser degree Brandon) were totaling ragging on him for that position, basically ridiculing
JTs position. Troy figured the VGKs would be fighting (and winning) for a playoff stop in the first year.

JT was making a reasoned argument - such as asking Troy who the Knights would beat out for a playoff spot. Troy didn't really have an answer, just stuck to his position.

Kind of like backwards day to me. Did they have a coin flip and Toth got to pick his position first, and the other 2 days had to disagree.

I agree, they're picking the other teams 9th or 10th best players, and seem to be trading have of those for future draft pick.

Ok this is a funny post because I caught myself laughing thinking the exact same thing this morning and I was even going to post on it. Oddly Brandon was agreeing with Troy that Vegas could compete for a playoff spot this year in the West.

KurtG8

Apr 4, 2015
Ok this is a funny post because I caught myself laughing thinking the exact same thing this morning and I was even going to post on it. Oddly Brandon was agreeing with Troy that Vegas could compete for a playoff spot this year in the West.

Lmao ditto for me too, wanted to post on it, but was heading back to work. Vegas somehow beats out the Ducks,Sharks, Oilers and Flames next year? In the first year? And it WASNT Toth that idiot? I couldn't believe what i was hearing. Makes you almost wonder if they did that on purpose to mess with us! lol

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
TSN 1290 seems to have found a commercial, that while not quite as bad as the pillows
makes me cringe every time I hear it.
The one for the skydiving center that is basically just people screaming.
I guess its supposed to be screams of joy, but to me its just people figuring they are about to die. Not going to entice me.

No kidding... need to rethink that one.

Briscodog

May 2, 2016
Did anyone else notice that Rick was talking over Ken Wiebe quit a bit during Ken's segment today. There as some disagreement and tension there. And then about halfway thru Rick went quiet. Never said another word. When Ken was signing off he thanked Hus and didn't say anything to Rick. Just thought it was weird.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
That ****in scream ad is going to drive me nuts! Oh, and the Ace Burpee "funding Change" one i just find so annoying. The "cheerfully informative" tone of his voice while he's basically saying "hey here's a way for you to harass and annoy your friends and family without actually having to do any real work" makes me want to punch him in the throat.

As far as the BS goes, I think Troy and Brandon are basically in full on "just disagree with Toth at all times mode". Lol...I don't think they pay much attention to what he actually says anymore. :laugh:

Coach G

Oct 1, 2015
In the corners
That ****in scream ad is going to drive me nuts! Oh, and the Ace Burpee "funding Change" one i just find so annoying. The "cheerfully informative" tone of his voice while he's basically saying "hey here's a way for you to harass and annoy your friends and family without actually having to do any real work" makes me want to punch him in the throat.

As far as the BS goes, I think Troy and Brandon are basically in full on "just disagree with Toth at all times mode". Lol...I don't think they pay much attention to what he actually says anymore. :laugh:

Nothing is worse than "Okay, make a wish and blow... OHNOTHECURTAIN'SONFIRE!!!!" Doesn't the firefighters' union have anything better to spend their money on than radio advertising?
It's not like any of us have other choices on who to call when the curtain really is on fire, or when dear old dad chokes on the wonderful meal his doting daughter cooked for him.
As for Toth, he was back to being wrong about everything this morning. You see, Vegas is going to pick Enstrom because they want veterans (wrong), they need his salary to get to the cap floor (wrong), and his expiring contract makes him attractive (wrong to the point that I can't even follow his thought process). The world is back to normal.

Halloween Jack

A real cool cat.
Sep 16, 2013
On top of Manhattan Chase
Nothing is worse than "Okay, make a wish and blow... OHNOTHECURTAIN'SONFIRE!!!!" Doesn't the firefighters' union have anything better to spend their money on than radio advertising?
It's not like any of us have other choices on who to call when the curtain really is on fire, or when dear old dad chokes on the wonderful meal his doting daughter cooked for him.
As for Toth, he was back to being wrong about everything this morning. You see, Vegas is going to pick Enstrom because they want veterans (wrong), they need his salary to get to the cap floor (wrong), and his expiring contract makes him attractive (wrong to the point that I can't even follow his thought process). The world is back to normal.

You mean "Vyegas"

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011

haha, I've commented on the "OH NOES THE CURTAINS ON FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" advert several times already. The extreme change in tone from birthday bliss to outright insane panic in a nano-second is hilarious. :laugh:

The scream ad is bad at best, but it's made stratospherically worse by the bizarre fact that they insist on running it twice only about 2 minutes apart for some reason...

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015

There is a distinction between “competitive†and “make the playoffsâ€. There were really on 2 non-competitive teams in the west last year, and it would not surprise me at all if LVK were better than either Col or Arz were. If not now than fairly quickly. Making the playoffs is still a high bar, there are a lot of really good teams in the west and some really good teams will end up out of the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad