Pre-Game Talk: 12/6 - Rangers vs. Red Wings

Status
Not open for further replies.

PromNite

Know Your Enemy
Apr 30, 2007
Tampa, FL
What is the deal with Boyle? He said, like a week ago, that he felt way better and seemed like he was ready to go. Is he sick or injured?

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
If Moore is out for whatever reason, wonder who goes in his place.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
What is the deal with Boyle? He said, like a week ago, that he felt way better and seemed like he was ready to go. Is he sick or injured?

"Flu like symptoms." They downplayed it being the mumps but he hasn't gotten better and they really don't know whether it is at this point so it sure sounds like it.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
If Moore is out for whatever reason, wonder who goes in his place.

Would we be able to recall Mueller? I don't think we have the space, but if we could manage it somehow, he'd be my bet. Veteran presence, good in the faceoff circle. If not, I think it would need to be Miller.

Kreider - Step - Nash
Zuccs - Brass - Nash
Hagelin - Hayes - Duclair
Stempniak - Miller - Fast

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
I don't remember anyone ever missing this much time with "flu like symptoms"

I was really hoping it wasn't the mumps but god damn what else could it be?

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
I don't remember anyone ever missing this much time with "flu like symptoms"

I was really hoping it wasn't the mumps but god damn what else could it be?

You don't think... could it be...
20353901.jpg

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Over the summer I had some weird flu thing for like 12 days. Those things can stick around if you get a bad one. I just hope it's not gonna ravage the whole team, whatever it is.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
It could be anything at this point. Just have to hope its not anything really, really serious.

I know if I was that sick for an extended period I'd be wanting all types of tests done on me.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Over the summer I had some weird flu thing for like 12 days. Those things can stick around if you get a bad one. I just hope it's not gonna ravage the whole team, whatever it is.

Something similar happened to me at the end of August. Came back from vacation and was deathly ill for like 4-5 days. Started to feel better and kept resting but I fell ill again for another week. It was such a tease. I was out of commission for about two weeks and I wasn't back to 100% for almost a month. Just because you are no longer symptomatic, it doesn't mean your body is full recovered from fighting the illness. I would hope that Boyle takes a couple extra days to ensure he is 100%.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It could be anything at this point. Just have to hope its not anything really, really serious.

I know if I was that sick for an extended period I'd be wanting all types of tests done on me.

Tell me about it. That flu literally put me in therapy. I started panicking every time I burped. I hope Boyle and Glass are ok (yes, even Glass, I wouldn't wish this on anyone). Injuries are talked about all the time, but these guys get sick like everyone else and it gets overlooked. Personally, I'd rather be physically injured than sick.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Here's something funny about advanced stats, kind of related to the Rangers. I used to hate them, but I am buying in a little. I think they're very useful. But I also think they have to be applied properly.

For example, Rick Nash and Marty St. Louis have negative CF%, and Nash has the 2nd worst Fenwick against on the team.

But they've scored 36% of our goals this season. Like I literally cannot care about their advanced stats when they have a 3rd and change of the team's goals.

Team advanced stats tend to pick out winners, and as such I certainly hope ours improve, but individual advanced stats often have me scratching my head as to what to do with them.

McDonagh

Slow it down 30GHz
Mar 8, 2009
I'm sure he'll understand

Yeah, you have to go pump some money into a bankrupt city to help them out a bit. You're have to choose between helping out an entire city, or one individual. If you explain that way he'll understand.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Here's something funny about advanced stats, kind of related to the Rangers. I used to hate them, but I am buying in a little. I think they're very useful. But I also think they have to be applied properly.

For example, Rick Nash and Marty St. Louis have negative CF%, and Nash has the 2nd worst Fenwick against on the team.

But they've scored 36% of our goals this season. Like I literally cannot care about their advanced stats when they have a 3rd and change of the team's goals.

Team advanced stats tend to pick out winners, and as such I certainly hope ours improve, but individual advanced stats often have me scratching my head as to what to do with them.

It's a bit of an anomaly for sure, but #fancystats are much more than Corsi/Fenwick. Although, those two + PDO are the three basic stats that everyone should start familiarizing themselves with.

To gauge a players general success, I like looking at 5v5 in all situations.

If you look at that, Nash and MSL are both negative Fenwick relative (1.92% and 1.91% respectively - so not by much. What's really interesting, and sort of disheartening at the same time, is that Nash's PDO is 103.59. That will (normally) regress to the mean of 100. So, it's why some people are arguing that Nash's play is a bit unsustainable. His possession metrics aren't blowing the world up, yet his PDO is way higher than 100. MSL on the other hand has a PDO < 100 at 98.81. So, his PDO is a bit more correlated to his rel Fenwick% than Nash's. If MSL can get his possession numbers up, his PDO will jump to 100, so we can expect even more production from MSL.

You can also look further, though.

5v5, Nash and MSL start basically all over the ice. 108-128-100 and 114-133-96 (offense-neutral-defense). They're pretty middle of the pack here in regards to the rest of the team, but it could help explain their Fenwick.

And of course, competition, Nash faces the second best competition on the team 5v5 (behind Brassard). MSL faces the 6th best.

#Fancystats dig a lot deeper than this, but that's about as far down the rabbit hole I've been able to explore.

*all numbers provided by war-on-ice.com

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It's a bit of an anomaly for sure, but #fancystats are much more than Corsi/Fenwick. Although, those two + PDO are the three basic stats that everyone should start familiarizing themselves with.

If you look at that, Nash and MSL are both negative Fenwick relative (1.92% and 1.91% respectively - so not by much. What's really interesting, and sort of disheartening at the same time, is that Nash's PDO is 103.59. That will (normally) regress to the mean of 100. So, it's why some people are arguing that Nash's play is a bit unsustainable. His possession metrics aren't blowing the world up, yet his PDO is way higher than 100. MSL on the other hand has a PDO < 100 at 98.81. So, his PDO is a bit more correlated to his rel Fenwick% than Nash's. If MSL can get his possession numbers up, his PDO will jump to 100, so we can expect even more production from MSL.

5v5, Nash and MSL start basically all over the ice. 108-128-100 and 114-133-96 (offense-neutral-defense). They're pretty middle of the pack here in regards to the rest of the team, but it could help explain their Fenwick.

And of course, competition, Nash faces the second best competition on the team 5v5 (behind Brassard). MSL faces the 6th best.

#Fancystats dig a lot deeper than this, but that's about as far down the rabbit hole I've been able to explore.

It's very interesting that's for sure, and like I said, these stats are useful.

Still -and call me old fashioned if you will- as far down that rabbit hole we go, we still can't lost sight of the fact that the team with the most goals at the end of 60 minutes wins the game. 10 and 16 goals respectively is a huge deal and still just as important as any stat in the book.

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009

When people use statistics like this it makes me nervous because it feels like it never happens in a consistent way. I'm not talking about you specifically, but it seems like people will talk about a stat until it doesn't agree with what's going on, and then they'll create a context around the stat with other statistics to justify it. And that's not necessarily wrong but at the very least it seems like people don't provide context the same way for every player. If you're building the stats around the narrative that way, then do they really tell you anything?

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here

What were there 4 players in Anahiem that got the mumps? The incubation period is 2 weeks, so other Rangers could have it. Weird. All of the Rangers got booster vaccinations but they could have came in contact with the virus well before then. Hopefully it doesnt get anyone else and thats the end of it for the Rangers - and the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino