GDT: 12/18/15 - 7:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Washington

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Dude you're an absurd apologist. We've tried pretty much everyone on the damn team on the PP. It's not about talent - a good coach for a PP can make average players put up goals. It's happened in New Jersey for years.

The talent is there. The coaching is not. We have some of the worst special teams shooting differential in the league. That's a system issue.

What talent is there dude? Kucherov turns it over EVERY time he touches it. Killorn can only score on a juicy rebound. Callahan is the butt of whack-a-mole jokes, the Swedes can't QB a power play to save their life and the only guy who turns it over more than them on the man advantage is Tyler Johnson. The list of deficiencies when you compare them against the talent Boucher had to work with is SO obvious.

When a coach tries every possible combination with the same players and continues to get the same results year after year it's thereby a coaching issue? Anton Stralman isn't gonna wake up one day and realize he's a capable power play QB because we fired Jon Cooper. You can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig.

For God's sake he put on a pass limit/shot clock in practice. Do you see the players doing anything differently than before? You can try to teach "stupid" but you can't make it learn what it's being taught. Do you seriously think they go into practice and NOT do power play drills?

Cigar City

Apr 21, 2012
Tampa
I'm going to be optimistic here.

We are missing 3 solid PKers (2-3 PP players).
Stamkos was a boss.
The D was actually activating for the first time this season.
Sustr is my fave.

My personal favorite: We played like the Lightning for 30 minutes.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
The PP actually got some looks tonight I thought. Still too slow for my taste though. PK on the other hand was a disaster.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Notice how Ovechkin actually moves around on the PP. It would be nice if Stamkos was capable of doing the same. Our cycle is garbage.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Notice how Ovechkin actually moves around on the PP. It would be nice if Stamkos was capable of doing the same. Our cycle is garbage.

I'm thoroughly convinced that he stands still because the players around him are incapable of passing it to him. There's no real predominant side of the ice where we start the cycle but once we actually make it in and don't turn it over the goes to Stralman. He'll look over his options and the men along the half boards will move until they have possession. Kucherov has a particularly bad habit of standing totally still once he has the puck and from then on you get a bad pass to the point and one deferred shot to another. The others just freeze around Kucherov, including Stralman. Occasionally you'll see Stamkos adjust his angle to get open but really, do the passes ever hit him in the tape?

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Other than the special teams, which were atrocious, one real positive is that top line 5x5. They have looked good recently. When we get healthy I would go:

Names, Kuch, Stamkos
Drouin, Johnson, Palat

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Darth Ovi. Can't expect to win taking penalties against that guy, regardless of the lead.

Something needs to be done about the PP. The fault lies with everybody, including Yzerman. If Coop can't find a way to muster threats, at the very least, out of our lineup, then Yzerman needs to step in and find someone who can oversee it. Something needs to be changed to suit the players we have, not stubbornly stuck to over and over and over when it's clear these guys can't execute.

Nobody moves. They stand still and pass the puck and then someone shoots into a maze of bodies. I don't believe for a second that NHL players are incapable of following a coach's instructions. There's something systematically wrong.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Glad I didn't watch tonight... I checked my phone to see the following scores

1 - 0 Tampa
3 - 0 Tampa
3 - 1
3 - 2
5 - 3 Washington

.........what happened....

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa
Other than the special teams, which were atrocious, one real positive is that top line 5x5. They have looked good recently. When we get healthy I would go:

Names, Kuch, Stamkos
Drouin, Johnson, Palat

I'd keep Names/Kuch/Stammer together long term.

They're finally building some chemistry and if they come out looking like they did tonight, every night, other teams will be terrified of Stamkos again.

Glad I didn't watch tonight... I checked my phone to see the following scores

1 - 0 Tampa
3 - 0 Tampa
3 - 1
3 - 2
5 - 3 Washington

.........what happened....

Names/Kuch/Stammer were the only line that was legitimately scaring Washington. When they were out there, we were dominating the offensive zone. Stamkos had 6 shots on goal, 3 of which were nearly goals and one was a goal. You're allowed to hit the crossbar and have one miss a game if you're Steven Stamkos.

Boyle/Callahan/Killorn showed up but their linemates just couldn't get it together. The AHLers really showed tonight. :/

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
I watched 2 periods and then went to bed... wake up to 4 Washington goals... like wtf?

And Sustr getting 21:15 icetime and 1:52 minutes shorthanded time? Just a few seconds less than Hedman or something.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I mean, no use complaining about officiating. We got our share of crappy calls going our way too. The difference is they could capitalize. We could barely get any shots off.

This is how I feel, you get some bad calls and some good ones, we've had our fair share of good calls this year.

Don't see a point in complaining about the refs, defense and Bishop were bad tonight.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
What talent is there dude? Kucherov turns it over EVERY time he touches it. Killorn can only score on a juicy rebound. Callahan is the butt of whack-a-mole jokes, the Swedes can't QB a power play to save their life and the only guy who turns it over more than them on the man advantage is Tyler Johnson. The list of deficiencies when you compare them against the talent Boucher had to work with is SO obvious.

When a coach tries every possible combination with the same players and continues to get the same results year after year it's thereby a coaching issue? Anton Stralman isn't gonna wake up one day and realize he's a capable power play QB because we fired Jon Cooper. You can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig.

For God's sake he put on a pass limit/shot clock in practice. Do you see the players doing anything differently than before? You can try to teach "stupid" but you can't make it learn what it's being taught. Do you seriously think they go into practice and NOT do power play drills?

And this is what you and Cooper are wrong. You don't just switch players around and hope for the best. The system is clearly flawed. You can try a million combinations with the wrong system and very little will change.

And yes, that is a coaching issue.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
I usually aren't mad after I've slept on a game but I'm still pissed as ****. The play after our third goal was disgusting. It was a definition of throwing points away and we really don't have that luxury this season. I'm just so close to being done with this team.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
insignificancedemotivator_large.jpeg

2MinutesforGiraffing

angelsil on safari
Apr 2, 2013
Tampa
I'm really glad I was at a watch party (not the official one) last night where $15 bought 'all you can drink' because I needed it. It's frustrating listening to the same old song and dance and nothing changing. If we were at least showing some consistent signs of improvement, I'd be more optimistic. As it stand, our special teams are taking us straight to the bottom.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I'm really glad I was at a watch party (not the official one) last night where $15 bought 'all you can drink' because I needed it. It's frustrating listening to the same old song and dance and nothing changing. If we were at least showing some consistent signs of improvement, I'd be more optimistic. As it stand, our special teams are taking us straight to the bottom.

We're playing the right way...just getting bad bounces. :sarcasm:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Next game I'm down for is for the Pittsburgh game, we are doing shots. Not taking no for an answer! By then we will have either turned it around or sunk to the bottom of the abyss.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
i put this on as a bad game for bishop i had a feeling on first one

you got to make some of those saves i get was good puck movement and is ovie but man bishop didnt look great on much imho

nothing else to say i guess sad think we played well enough to get some points and goalie was lacking

just my two cents

We got out worked out skated and bishop could not save or butts tonight like he normally does. This product yzerman has iced sucks period. Ditch stamkos sign kopitar a center that has a two way game that's not a midget.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad