GDT: 12/18/15 - 7:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Washington

ltpato

Feb 27, 2015
MTL
Yzerman should look to acquire bigger + taller more powerful players... not just undersized skillful players

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Do you all see why I continuously defend Cooper now? We can't kill a penalty to save our life, we don't now how to run a PP and as soon as we get a lead everyone but the Crunch line started skating in slow motion. We had what? Maybe half a dozen SOG since we went up 3-0? There's not even the most fundamental elements of execution displayed on either. No one moves their feet on the PP or the kill, no one even attempts a stick check on the kill, Callahan has his back TURNED to Ovechkin half the time, on the PP they take 20 seconds to re-enter the zone, they do not cycle effectively and they sure as hell DO NOT pass well.

If anything this proves the brilliance of Cooper and the coaching staff for somehow teaching this level of stupid to 50 wins last year.
We have no legs or shooters ? On a pp we can't do anything?

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
Do you all see why I continuously defend Cooper now? We can't kill a penalty to save our life, we don't now how to run a PP and as soon as we get a lead everyone but the Crunch line started skating in slow motion. We had what? Maybe half a dozen SOG since we went up 3-0? There's not even the most fundamental elements of execution displayed on either. No one moves their feet on the PP or the kill, no one even attempts a stick check on the kill, Callahan has his back TURNED to Ovechkin half the time, on the PP they take 20 seconds to re-enter the zone, they do not cycle effectively and they sure as hell DO NOT pass well.

If anything this proves the brilliance of Cooper and the coaching staff for somehow teaching this level of stupid to 50 wins last year.

The issues on special teams have been going on since at least '11-'12 and have persisted through coaching and roster turnover. I don't think this group of players, one that has been through a mosh pit of injuries and, thus, infinite different PK and PP combos, just "doesn't get" how to play on special teams.

That this team continues to blow games because they are awful at special teams is the biggest indictment on Cooper and his staff. It's incredible that these issues have persisted to such awful degrees and nothing has changed. It's inexcusable.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I mean, no use complaining about officiating. We got our share of crappy calls going our way too. The difference is they could capitalize. We could barely get any shots off.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
I'm just not a fan of the following anymore, regardless of what happened last year, they are playing terrible;

Boyle, yeah 8 goals and playing like you're 5 foot and 100 lbs 90% of the time doesn't get you out of the doghouse.
Killorn
Stralman
Carle
Sustr, 10 games doesn't make you my hero, I still and will always hate you for that Keith goal. Ass.
Flip
Coburn
Stamkos

Not pivotal and too costly. We have a replacement for all of them except Stralman and Stamkos. If Stralman would get his head out of his ass, I'm good with him. As for the others, not impressed and their cap hit isn't welcomed here for their wffort. Did flip even play tonight?

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011

Except Cooper is the ****ing coach of the PP. Sorry - the ****** execution over this such long time is largely on him.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
The issues on special teams have been going on since at least '11-'12 and have persisted through coaching and roster turnover. I don't think this group of players, one that has been through a mosh pit of injuries and, thus, infinite different PK and PP combos, just "doesn't get" how to play on special teams.

That this team continues to blow games because they are awful at special teams is the biggest indictment on Cooper and his staff. It's incredible that these issues have persisted to such awful degrees and nothing has changed. It's inexcusable.

It is absolutely the players, Kramer. We've run the same system since Boucher came in. We run the exact same system the Capitals do. Went from guys like Purcell, Lecavalier, St. Louis, Marc-Andre Bergeron. Now we get the jittery Stralman who turns over the puck just by looking at the goddamn thing, JAM shooting at the chest in the slot, Kucherov differing on 80% of the shooting opportunities that come his way. That makes 3 players that play with Stamkos and I swear to God as I type this I am trying to count on my fingers who the 5th guy is and I can't even tell you. I swear to God I cannot tell you who the 5th PP player is supposed to be.

When I cannot tell you who is on the crappiest PP in the NHL there is a very serious problem.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014

If they didn't play on Sunday I would make them walk home to really make them think this through.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
It is absolutely the players, Kramer. We've run the same system since Boucher came in. We run the exact same system the Capitals do. Went from guys like Purcell, Lecavalier, St. Louis, Marc-Andre Bergeron. Now we get the jittery Stralman who turns over the puck just by looking at the goddamn thing, JAM shooting at the chest in the slot, Kucherov differing on 80% of the shooting opportunities that come his way. That makes 3 players that play with Stamkos and I swear to God as I type this I am trying to count on my fingers who the 5th guy is and I can't even tell you. I swear to God I cannot tell you who the 5th PP player is supposed to be.

When I cannot tell you who is on the crappiest PP in the NHL there is a very serious problem.

False, on both accounts. Boucher's PP was vastly superior. And we only try to mimic the Caps PP. And we do so embarrassingly.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Except Cooper is the ****ing coach of the PP. Sorry - the ****** execution over this such long time is largely on him.

What is he teaching wrong, Macho? You can scream at Stralman to not bobble the puck at the blue line and he still does it. You can tell JAM/Killorn/Callahan, "Don't shoot it at the goalie's chest" and they still do it. You can tell them to adequately screen the goaltender and I don't think we've successfully shot through a screen ONCE all year long. You can tell Kucherov to shoot more and limit the turnovers and he doesn't do it. You can tell them to get the puck to Stamkos on a GOOD pass and the GOOD passes never come!

We have NO instinct at all. With the exception of Stamkos and MAYBE Kucherov, these are bad players for a power play.

The PK lies on Bowness and we can say we had a very good PK last year. PP is run by Brad Lauer

Last edited:

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
It just occurred to me that Stamkos is going to get picked for the All Star Game and that makes me unbearably angry

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Oh, and another takeaway from this game, OTHER than being up 3-0 only to lose 5-3, is that Ovechkin scored a ****ing highlight reel goal against us. Again. Awesome.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland

Where's Kurtis Foster when you need him?

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
False, on both accounts. Boucher's PP was vastly superior. And we only try to mimic the Caps PP. And we do so embarrassingly.

It was vastly superior because we had players who actually knew what the **** they were doing out there. Vinny moved his feet and displayed more vision in that left circle than Kucherov EVER has. Unlike Kucherov he actually ****ing SHOT IT. The only human being capable of making Matt Carle look like a good defenseman (Marc-Andre Bergeron) had a boomer slap shot that could actually hit the net. Marty St. Louis actually completed passes to Stamkos' stick. Not this bobbling cluster **** that's a full foot off target or weakly rolls on him every time.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
What is he teaching wrong, Macho? You can scream at Stralman to not bobble the puck at the blue line and he still does it. You can tell JAM/Killorn/Callahan, "Don't shoot it at the goalie's chest" and they still do it. You can tell them to adequately screen the goaltender and I don't think we've successfully shot through a screen ONCE all year long. You can tell Kucherov to shoot more and limit the turnovers and he doesn't do it. You can tell them to get the puck to Stamkos on a GOOD pass and the GOOD passes never come!

We have NO instinct at all. With the exception of Stamkos and MAYBE Kucherov, these are bad players for a power play.

The PK lies on Bowness and we can say we had a very good PK last year.

Dude you're an absurd apologist. We've tried pretty much everyone on the damn team on the PP. It's not about talent - a good coach for a PP can make average players put up goals. It's happened in New Jersey for years.

The talent is there. The coaching is not. We have some of the worst special teams shooting differential in the league. That's a system issue.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
It was vastly superior because we had players who actually knew what the **** they were doing out there. Vinny moved his feet and displayed more vision in that left circle than Kucherov EVER has. Unlike Kucherov he actually ****ing SHOT IT. The only human being capable of making Matt Carle look like a good defenseman (Marc-Andre Bergeron) had a boomer slap shot that could actually hit the net. Marty St. Louis actually completed passes to Stamkos' stick. Not this bobbling cluster **** that's a full foot off target or weakly rolls on him every time.

Stralman is so bad. You're right, he looks at it and its like it scares him. He bobbles it or shoots it at the first man. Easy 40-60 seconds gone. Then the next Frustrating Five hop the boards with JT Brown leading the charge to get a goal. We have no juggernauts right now with all the injuries to fill both powerplays and even when they are healthy Id say the only guys that can play a powerplay are the Triplets, Stamkos(questionable lol), JAM(questionable but decent), Flip and Callahan(on the 2nd down low for the final minute).

Yeah the players have changed quite a bit but with those guys, we werent as successful either as we are right now(well...) Id rather have this team, but we needed guys through FA that were helpful on the PP. Look, all of this can be avoided if we acquired a DEFENSEMAN that can run a unit. Its infectious. We have Stralman as our PP QB? Thats the best we have? It says a lot. The movement isnt there either, I said this 15 games ago, nobody sells a fake or moves, we literally stand and pass it in the perimeter or zip a 100mph pass and say, "oh, so close!" but it NEVER works. Almost half the season and nothing has changed. Its beyond frustrating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad