GDT: 12/15/15 - 7:30PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Toronto

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Interesting thought. Since TSN owns part of the Leafs, would this be considered tampering? Nothing's going to come about it, but it's an interesting academic point.

It's a sign that's technically directed at the team's management, not the player himself however.

It depends on whether or not TSN is considered to be Club Affiliated. The NHL would know if they were. But since it's directed at the management I don't think there's an issue. Now if the signs said "Come home Stamkos" or anything directed at Stamkos it could potentially be tampering.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

Guess the TSN signs are a moot point now anyway.

credit to snizzbone for bringing the original point to many of our attentions.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Someone on r e d d i t just posted they were handed one at the ACC and it looks like they are in the building.

No doubt they'll be present. They just officially don't want them there. I've got to wonder if the ushers will crackdown on people displaying them.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
It depends on whether or not TSN is considered to be Club Affiliated. The NHL would know if they were. But since it's directed at the management I don't think there's an issue. Now if the signs said "Come home Stamkos" or anything directed at Stamkos it could potentially be tampering.

to break it down for TB fans who may not be following, the Maple Leafs are owned by MLSE (Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment).

MLSE is owned by three primary companies. Two of which are Rogers and Bell. Owners of Sportsnet and TSN, respectively.

Bell (as well as Rogers) owns 37.5% of MLSE.

The signs in question here were produced by Toronto's TSN (and Bell owned) radio station urging Leafs management to sign Stamkos (and possibly persuade Stamkos himself to sign there).

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I don't know how TSN could have one of the most respected journalists in the biz in Bob McKenzie (and a lot of other credible qulitiy ones too that I enjoy) and still lower themselves to such sad levels.

A company like TSN is huge. 1050 is one of their more important radio stations, but it's probably still an individual radio station servicing the Toronto sports market who made the decision to produce them.

Last edited:

dechire

Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
to break it down for TB fans who may not be following, the Maple Leafs are owned by MLSE (Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment).

MLSE is owned by three primary companies. Two of which are Rogers and Bell. Owners of Sportsnet and TSN, respectively.

Bell (as well as Rogers) owns 37.5% of MLSE.

The signs in question here were produced by Toronto's TSN (and Bell owned) radio station urging Leafs management to sign Stamkos (and possibly persuade Stamkos himself to sign there).

Personally I think it's skirting the line. They're going to want to be extremely careful and something like this is too stupid and small to risk the serious consequences of tampering.

Here's the particular clause that applies (edited for length and boring CBA talk):

26.3 Circumventions.
(a) No Club or Club Actor, directly or indirectly, may: (i) enter into any agreements,
promises, undertakings, representations, commitments, inducements, assurances of intent, or
understandings of any kind, whether express, implied, oral or written(...blahblahblah boring)
(i) Any act by a Club Actor that, if committed by the Club would constitute a
Circumvention, shall be imputed to the Club and shall be deemed to be a
Circumvention by the Club.

Now a Club Affiliated Entity falls under the Club Actor heading. And I believe that TSN qualifies as a CAE based on the criteria however only the league knows for sure. So yeah it's a risky side to take and actually really ****ing stupid.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
just some guy, but interesting if that's the logic.

I would agree that TML would want to lock down controlling their jammy-jam and not have it subject to being co-opted by other companies.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Personally I think it's skirting the line. They're going to want to be extremely careful and something like this is too stupid and small to risk the serious consequences of tampering.

Here's the particular clause that applies (edited for length and boring CBA talk):

26.3 Circumventions.
(a) No Club or Club Actor, directly or indirectly, may: (i) enter into any agreements,
promises, undertakings, representations, commitments, inducements, assurances of intent, or
understandings of any kind, whether express, implied, oral or written(...blahblahblah boring)
(i) Any act by a Club Actor that, if committed by the Club would constitute a
Circumvention, shall be imputed to the Club and shall be deemed to be a
Circumvention by the Club.

Now a Club Affiliated Entity falls under the Club Actor heading. And I believe that TSN qualifies as a CAE based on the criteria however only the league knows for sure. So yeah it's a risky side to take and actually really ****ing stupid.

What are the consequences...additional draft picks for the Lightning?

dechire

Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
What are the consequences...additional draft picks for the Lightning?

There's a pretty wide range but if there's deemed to be tampering the most likely consequences for a Club are lost draft picks. If a player is signed as a result of tampering the SPC would be voided. The Club and player(if complicit) can also be fined.

Something like this would be much more likely to be a fine than anything else because it's really minor. But the things Leafs fans have suggested about offering endorsements to entice Stamkos to sign would have very severe consequences.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I'm just going to say it. The Leafs are changing their sweater so they stop ripping off the Lightning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad