GDT: #12 – Sabres at Isles Sat Feb 9–7:00PM ET– TV: MSG-B – Radio: WGR-AM (Myers may sit)

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I don't think that's the problem. Both Ruff and Myers have said that he's a guy who struggles to add weight/muscle, and all the more so because he's trying to do it without losing his mobility. Which is really hard when you're 6'8". I'm not sure why he always these slow starts, but I don't think it's a problem with off-season training.

He needs to get stronger. He skates really well from what I see, and 5-7lbs of muscle will not hurt him that much. I dont think he is much stronger today then he was at 20. He still gets pushed around by much smaller players.

BWidz8930

Jul 6, 2012
No, Brennan will bring more offence to the table than TM will.

You're basing this on what exactly? Not only does Brennan struggle to get his shot on net, he can't carry the puck up the ice. He's got 1 point in 15 career games, playing almost exclusively in an offensive-zone start/PP role. Comparing him to MAG is really not a stretch at this point.

HockeyH3aven

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
You're basing this on what exactly? Not only does Brennan struggle to get his shot on net, he can't carry the puck up the ice. He's got 1 point in 15 career games, playing almost exclusively in an offensive-zone start/PP role. Comparing him to MAG is really not a stretch at this point.

Agreed. He's like the defenseman version of Mancari. Very good AHL player, just not enough natural talent to be a consistent NHL player. That being said, 15 games is still a tiny sample size for a young player, even a multi-year pro. He may still become a solid NHL defender, but for somebody touted as an offensive guy you'd think there would be signs. Even MAG made you go "wow" sometimes with his play in the offensive zone. Brennan has done absolutely nothing to show he can produce offense at the NHL level.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
He needs to get stronger. He skates really well from what I see, and 5-7lbs of muscle will not hurt him that much. I dont think he is much stronger today then he was at 20. He still gets pushed around by much smaller players.

Did I say he doesn't need to get stronger? No, I said the kid has a hard time putting on weight/muscle (though I don't believe it's for a lack of effort), particularly because his best asset is his skating and he doesn't want to lose that.

He was a project when we picked him, and he's still a work in progress now. I have no problem being patient with Myers, because I feel his upside is 100% worth the wait and the struggles. I'm just hoping Ruff doesn't completely ruin him.

chadthestampede

The Humanoid Typhoon
Jan 20, 2011
Agreed. He's like the defenseman version of Mancari. Very good AHL player, just not enough natural talent to be a consistent NHL player. That being said, 15 games is still a tiny sample size for a young player, even a multi-year pro. He may still become a solid NHL defender, but for somebody touted as an offensive guy you'd think there would be signs. Even MAG made you go "wow" sometimes with his play in the offensive zone. Brennan has done absolutely nothing to show he can produce offense at the NHL level.

As is "Wow, that was terrible."

HockeyH3aven

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
As is "Wow, that was terrible."

As much as people like to pile on him, early on MAG was producing well on the powerplay. He made some nice passes and could carry the puck. He looked solid in the playoff series against Philadelphia from an offensive standpoint.

Hockey Canada was impressed enough with him that he made Team Canada for the World Championships that off-season. Obviously it's nowhere near the Olympic team, but even at that level most of the guys who made the team were good to very good NHL players.

The only thing Brennan has done is put some dents in the end boards/glass. :laugh:

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Wasn't he benched last year you for a game or two? Then he came out with the best game of his life and leveled off again.

I thought he was playing well after the scratch until he got hurt? Could be wrong. All of the slop is one big pile the last two+ years

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Did I say he doesn't need to get stronger? No, I said the kid has a hard time putting on weight/muscle (though I don't believe it's for a lack of effort), particularly because his best asset is his skating and he doesn't want to lose that.

He was a project when we picked him, and he's still a work in progress now. I have no problem being patient with Myers, because I feel his upside is 100% worth the wait and the struggles. I'm just hoping Ruff doesn't completely ruin him.

WHy does everyone blame Ruff? He lets Myers play. Most of Myers mental mistakes come by trying to do too much with the puck or being too aggressive on his pinch.

Why not stop this stuff for now, let him concentrate on being a defensive minded player until he learns to make better decisions. Work on making him a shut down defensive player rather than a do it all player. I would rather him be more conservative and shutdown then be a 50+ point player right now. Too much on his plate IMO.

HockeyH3aven

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
WHy does everyone blame Ruff? He lets Myers play. Most of Myers mental mistakes come by trying to do too much with the puck or being too aggressive on his pinch.

Why not stop this stuff for now, let him concentrate on being a defensive minded player until he learns to make better decisions. Work on making him a shut down defensive player rather than a do it all player. I would rather him be more conservative and shutdown then be a 50+ point player right now. Too much on his plate IMO.

Ruff is his coach. Since Myers has played under Ruff, he's gotten worse and worse every year. He is having problems he never had in his rookie year. His offensive game has completely disappeared, he has developed bad habits (reaching and not skating).

I think you have to blame some of that on the coach. Myers has all the tools and as a rookie was as composed and confident as any vet. Since then he has only gotten worse. Coaching has a large part to do with that IMO.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Ruff is his coach. Since Myers has played under Ruff, he's gotten worse and worse every year. He is having problems he never had in his rookie year. His offensive game has completely disappeared, he has developed bad habits (reaching and not skating).

I think you have to blame some of that on the coach. Myers has all the tools and as a rookie was as composed and confident as any vet. Since then he has only gotten worse. Coaching has a large part to do with that IMO.
Maybe its more about teams knowing Myers better. Maybe he will never be a huge offensive threat ever again. What I care about more is that he becomes a shutdown defensive player. If he can be a mix of McKee and Campbell in the future, then great, but right now I would like to see him play a more simple game.

I guess that would be blaming Ruff also because IMO RUff wants him attacking, although some fans here think otherwise. Myers is ultra aggressive and its hurting him. IMO he is the same player from his rookie year but teams play him differently now that they know what he wants to do. Plus Miller isnt saving him anymore like he did his rookie year.

CrankyJay

May 17, 2006
Lancaster, NY
I thought he was playing well after the scratch until he got hurt? Could be wrong. All of the slop is one big pile the last two+ years

Yeah...that's right. He got hurt for being overly aggressive. He swung the pendulum all the way over on the other side.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010

I disagree with this. I never see him get overpowered, but I see people basically skate circles around him pretty often. When he does decide to move people, they get moved.

I'm of the opinion that whatever he's doing in strength training is doing him no good on the ice. He's not going to be Pronger. He should work on what he excels at, and that's speed.

Anyhow, I think benching him is a good move and I hope it has the same effect as it did last time. Without the suspension.

sabrescupchamps2099

Baseball season!
Dec 30, 2011
Buffalo, New York
Well, its been confirmed. Myers is sitting and Kaleta, Sekera are back.

I wanted to say here that tonight would be an easy game for the Sabres since the Isles are struggling even worse than we are. (any pro team that loses against their own farm team in a scrimmage obviously has problems); but you know the Sabres will always find a way to mess a game up. 4-3 Isles. Sabres struggle in the 3rd period again and fail to tie.

Last edited:

thefifagod

I'm The Survivor
Jul 3, 2008
Big win on Thursday
Can we play with confidence?
Here comes a letdown

Sabres come out strong in the first but can't get a goal, crumble in the second again, lose 3-2.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
Well, its been confirmed. Myers is sitting and Kaleta, Sekera are back.

I wanted to say here that tonight would be an easy game for the Sabres since the Isles are struggling even worse than we are. (any pro team that loses against their own farm team in a scrimmage obviously has problems); but you know the Sabres will always find a way to mess a game up. 4-3 Isles. Sabres struggle in the 3rd period again and fail to tie.

Just as a side note, the Bruins also lost to their farm team in a scrimmage.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
The benching last year jumpstarted Myers...and then he got hurt. While Leopold has been ****, if the benching works again this year there is more to gain by scratching Myers, and then bringing him back next game and sitting Leopold.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad