Proposal: 11th overall for a young dman to Vancouver

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Unfortunately, Vancouver has again ignored the obvious need for a full out rebuild.
Instead, they are spending futures for the now.
So let’s go all in.

Available
11 overall
2 3rds
Hogs
Podz
Garland
Boeser
Pretty much any winger not name Kuz or Miller

Looking for <25 defensive dman to partner either Hughes or Hronek.
While the hell would Podz or Hogs be available and why are people on HF so obsessed with a rebuild before even giving the previous one a chance?

Do you realize we have never had an elite 1C, 1D 1G at the same time in our entire history?
Look around at all the teams that have been shit for years and years and still don't have the holy trinity. On top of that we have an elite 2C, a budding star in Kuzmenko and other great pieces like Hronek, Podkolzin, Mikhayev, Boeser, Hoglander and some decent prospects like Raty, Klimovich, Lekkerimaki, Linus, New EP² etc.

We have 12 million in cap and after Myers is gone we have 1 player signed over 30 and a bunch of dead cap off the books.

We sucked last year because we quite literally had the worst goaltending in the league that if we just received league average goaltending through the first 50 games we would have easily finished top 3 in the pacific.

People like to say we won when it didn't matter like as if what month it is arbitrarily affects games from February, March and April when we were a top 10 team despite 8 regulars gone from the roster. People who think that have never played sports at a high level.

We won because Demko came back healthy and we didn't need to score 4+ a game to win.
Before Silovs got called up our goalies allowed less than 4 goals 4 times in 31 games.

I'm not even saying last years team was a cup team but we clearly should have been a playoff team and with a full year of Hronek and Mikayev plus whatever other moves are made, chances are we have a devils type turn around.

Apologies for the long post but it blows my mind that people think you not only abandon a rebuild when we have the 5th youngest team and getting younger and the fact that a rebuild means trading possibly the two best players we've ever had when all said in done in Quinn and EP, cuz that's a given if we were to rebuild.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
While the hell would Podz or Hogs be available and why are people on HF so obsessed with a rebuild before even giving the previous one a chance?

Do you realize we have never had an elite 1C, 1D 1G at the same time in our entire history?
Look around at all the teams that have been shit for years and years and still don't have the holy trinity. On top of that we have an elite 2C, a budding star in Kuzmenko and other great pieces like Hronek, Podkolzin, Mikhayev, Boeser, Hoglander and some decent prospects like Raty, Klimovich, Lekkerimaki, Linus, New EP² etc.

We have 12 million in cap and after Myers is gone we have 1 player signed over 30 and a bunch of dead cap off the books.

We sucked last year because we quite literally had the worst goaltending in the league that if we just received league average goaltending through the first 50 games we would have easily finished top 3 in the pacific.

People like to say we won when it didn't matter like as if what month it is arbitrarily affects games from February, March and April when we were a top 10 team despite 8 regulars gone from the roster. People who think that have never played sports at a high level.

We won because Demko came back healthy and we didn't need to score 4+ a game to win.
Before Silovs got called up our goalies allowed less than 4 goals 4 times in 31 games.

I'm not even saying last years team was a cup team but we clearly should have been a playoff team and with a full year of Hronek and Mikayev plus whatever other moves are made, chances are we have a devils type turn around.

Apologies for the long post but it blows my mind that people think you not only abandon a rebuild when we have the 5th youngest team and getting younger and the fact that a rebuild means trading possibly the two best players we've ever had when all said in done in Quinn and EP, cuz that's a given if we were to rebuild.
i would say that elite 1C, 1D, 1G would get you to the playoffs if you have no other top4D and being cap strapped, but the buyout of OEL and the pending increase in cap changed the formula a bit. I wasnt expecting Aqualini to bite the bullet, so it was a move that does give credence to the retool camp's optimism. Its still not a contender caliber team with the current core the way it is, trading 11th for a Schneider type D would accelerate the retool. trading 11th+ for Hanifin would do it, depends on the +. Otherwise, the correct move would be to draft the Reinbacher/Wallinder/Simashev and wait 2-3 years for him. There are attainable guys like Ferraro, Hague, and Andersson that make sense age wise, but they are all LHD.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Peeke is trash my guy. We be looking at Pesce or Cernak that can log 25 min a night playing solid D not mediocre D men
Guys like that under the age of 25 (which the OP specified) are #1Ds and are not traded. Pesce is 28 and plays about 22 minutes per game. Cernak is 26 and playing less than 20 minutes per night.

And Peeke is hardly trash. He can't pass, but he's fine at the rest. If he's not what Vancouver is targeting that's one thing, but let's avoid the hyperbole.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Something around Miller and 11th for Pesce and Kotkaniemi.
No. Seriously, just no.

No on trading Kotkaniemi.
No on trading for Miller and his terrible contract.
No on trading Pesce for a pick unless we have a deal in hand to flip the pick for immediate help.

Paddys Pub

Jul 18, 2016
Port Coquitlam
Something around Miller and 11th for Pesce and Kotkaniemi.

No. Seriously, just no.

No on trading Kotkaniemi.
No on trading for Miller and his terrible contract.
No on trading Pesce for a pick unless we have a deal in hand to flip the pick for immediate help.
No to trading for Kotkaniemi
No trading Miller and his PPG play and other awesome pluses.

Let’s be honest.
Kot hasn’t proven close to worth his contract yet other than a good game here and there.

Miller, while he will decline one day, is well worth his salary and I’m happy to have him on board. After he declines, the cap will go up and it won’t be disgusting. (Personally I think it’s too long, but that’s what happens with these contacts)

Pesce would be a nice add to the Canucks, but not at the cost of the 11th and the huge downgrade to Kotkaniemi

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
No to trading for Kotkaniemi
No trading Miller and his PPG play and other awesome pluses.

Let’s be honest.
Kot hasn’t proven close to worth his contract yet other than a good game here and there.

Miller, while he will decline one day, is well worth his salary and I’m happy to have him on board. After he declines, the cap will go up and it won’t be disgusting. (Personally I think it’s too long, but that’s what happens with these contacts)

Pesce would be a nice add to the Canucks, but not at the cost of the 11th and the huge downgrade to Kotkaniemi
This is one of those things that I just don't understand why it keeps coming up.

Neither team is interested in a Miller to Carolina trade. I can't wait for his movement clause to kick in...hopefully that'll be the end of it.

Reactions: Paddys Pub

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Guys like that under the age of 25 (which the OP specified) are #1Ds and are not traded. Pesce is 28 and plays about 22 minutes per game. Cernak is 26 and playing less than 20 minutes per night.

And Peeke is hardly trash. He can't pass, but he's fine at the rest. If he's not what Vancouver is targeting that's one thing, but let's avoid the hyperbole.
Peeke is the exact type of player that Vancouver should be targeting but not for 11th overall.

I would do 11 oa + Van 3rd for Pesce but I don't think other Canes fans would.
It’s a fair deal if we’re allowed to talk to Pesce’s agent about an extension but we can’t trade another first after having traded so many.

Lillegren for 11th
Comedy.

Jacques Strap

Aug 12, 2005
You guys traded a 1st, 2nd and 4th for Hronek? How much do you think Schneider is worth? A lot more than that. You can't even compare the two players. Van got fleeced BIG TIME by Stevie Y.

Maddogy

Oct 15, 2020
Would Canucks fans be interested in a 22 + Sanheim for 11 + cap dump (a bit shorter term, maybe 3 years)?
Sanheim’s contract is problematic and he may not be a good D partner for Hronek. Sanheim may not be a fit for Van. The OEL buyout took out a lot of the pressure on Van to cap dump. The free agent D‘s that Van is rumoured to be interested in are all defensive D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad