OT: 119th Obsequious Banter Thread: April Foods Day

April Foods: Which food is/are among your favorite(s)? (Pick up to three)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
Sure can!

tumblr_mkyh9hh6ub1rhwl4ko2_r4_400.gif
Beatles songs I know: Hey Jude, I'm a believer, twist like this? Talk about an overrated boyband that did acid and became existential

Edit: that other one they made a movie about a few years ago where the guy wakes up with that song in his head that nobody remembers.

Kermit the Prog

Threadkiller
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Greenville, DE
Beatles songs I know: Hey Jude, I'm a believer, twist like this? Talk about an overrated boyband that did acid and became existential

Edit: that other one they made a movie about a few years ago where the guy wakes up with that song in his head that nobody remembers.

If I may...

The label, "boy band," is a bit of a misnomer - not for The Beatles, but for those they are being compared to. Those "bands" are not bands at all, but merely singers. They don't play any instruments, and if they did, it was a one-off song.

I'm not going to get into a back-and-forth with anyone who has already made up their mind they think The Beatles are irrelevant (even though the bands they enjoy most likely idolize The Beatles). There is not an artist, nor band, in the history of recorded music which does not have detractors.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Jeez this is on page 7 so....I think we're on the same page with this. Not saying that makes her great, just that I respected her, especially back then, for writing her own music. Aka not a Brittney Spears clone.

Prince wrote for how many other "artists"? Is it Lionel Richie or someone else I'm thinking of who is a living legend when it comes to that? My only point with Tay Tay was, good for you, as an 18 year old. I'll never listen to your music, but at least you did it yourself.
There's nothing wrong with being a singer as opposed to a songwriter. There is art in the performance and a great singer can elevate a song. Nothing Compares 2 U is a good song no matter who sings it and might have even been a hit single, but Sinéad's performance elevated the song into something instantly and forever iconic, and Prince couldn't have matched it no matter how hard he tried.

Conversely, being a songwriter really isn't that big of a deal. It's not actually hard to write a decent song, even with minimal musical training. Melody tends to be intuitive. Certain chord progressions just sound right to the human ear and are used over and over again. Some of the most popular songs are three chord verse-chorus-verse stuff written by self-taught barely passable musicians who only know how to play power chords, and some of those songs are even undeniably brilliant.

What I'm trying to say is that "writing her own songs" isn't anything particularly remarkable or respectable. She writes lots of mediocre pop. It's like saying that Provorov logs lots of minutes, therefore he's a good defenseman.

4htC.gif

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

You've got all the bases covered, you're good.

I don't even know anymore I went to bed after threats of defamation lawsuits.

I did a little baxk reading and i have to say, for someone who doesn't like Avril, @JojoTheWhale does take an awful lot of mysterious trips to Canada...

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
@CanadianFlyer88 It's time for our regular and perhaps final Vancouver Island uncooked roasting chicken price update: $57 CAD for a bird just over 2 lbs.

The in-laws are leaving for the mainland in the fall and I couldn't be happier.
I know that the Mayne Island general store had some outrageous prices being the only one on the island, but nothing ever close to this... how remote are the in-laws? :laugh:

Are they leaving for the Okanagan, or somewhere closer to the coast?

• Haha
Reactions: JojoTheWhale

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I know that the Mayne Island general store had some outrageous prices being the only one on the island, but nothing ever close to this... how remote are the in-laws? :laugh:

Are they leaving for the Okanagan, or somewhere closer to the coast?

Parksville. It's resort pricing that just stays at that level all year long.

They're headed inland in the Cariboo. They've done the water thing and would just like to retire. :laugh:

• Wow
Reactions: CanadianFlyer88

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Parksville. It's resort pricing that just stays at that level all year long.

They're headed inland in the Cariboo. They've done the water thing and would just like to retire. :laugh:
Parksville is a great spot, but definitely has inflated tourist pricing. Cariboo region is nice and quiet, plus has wonderful skiing if they're into that sort of thing...

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
As a TV nerd

LG Oled is probably the best you can get right now. TCL and Hisense compete against each other at that mid/low cost range but offer really good hardware in the Mini LED Range. Although Hisense calls there technology ULED. The Uled X is a really slick tv.

Personally I have TCL tvs and have been using them for several years. The TCL QM8 is highly rated has a really great picture quality and brightness...however nothing matches oled.

I'm not a fan of LG/WebOS operating system and hate the remote. TCL previously had Roku TV built in but now pretty much everyone uses Google Android TV which is okay. If you are getting an LG, i'd recommend hooking up an Apple TV to it.

Caleb Denison offers really good reviews of all of these models.

My cat just died yesterday, will be getting my basement back now. My ultimate goal is to finish it and hang one of these: Amazon.com

Last edited:

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Anyone else watching Shogun? I didn’t know what to expect because, at this point in time, the old miniseries from the 80s was a bit silly. The remake/reimagining though? Fantastic TV. Highly recommend anyone interested in it to give it a shot.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Anyone else watching Shogun? I didn’t know what to expect because, at this point in time, the old miniseries from the 80s was a bit silly. The remake/reimagining though? Fantastic TV. Highly recommend anyone interested in it to give it a shot.
Shogun's awesome. Even more so that all of the budget went into making it a good tv instead of video game graphics for all the action scenes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad