Post-Game Talk: ECQF GAME 6 - TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT - THANK YOU JACK EDWARDS - Series tied 3-3

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

I’m no Monty apologist, but is there a coach out there with a magic wand that can make him score at a better rate than one goal every 30 games?

The kid got 60 games and had less goals than Lohrei had in 41 and three less than Brazeau had in 19.

Far more useful than Maroon.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
The 11 million dollar man had 3 shots and Marchy had 2. Fire Monty.

To be fair Pastrnak is alone on an island. The opposite of Matthews who waits for the puck to arrive and scores.

Now Pastrnak is the puck carrier, distributor, AND shooter on his line. Not much he truly can do to meet expectations with this roster. He must have attempted 8-10 shots game 6. He is in a role only McDavid can succeed in.

As others have said, last night was a chance for Montgomery to lean on a version of the perfection line. Marchand/Coyle/Pastrnak. All in. Zacha invisible. Debrusk alone but also limited in his own style, north south.

Poor roster management. Montgomery needs to figure this out.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Look at the last 10ish years of Stanley Cup winning goaltenders.

Except for Vasilesvsky and Quick in 2014 none of those names are really that sexy.

Spending money on the right 18 skaters seems to pay off more than spending it on your goaltending.

It’s just overall complete roster/cap mismanagement.

Ullmark - $5m
Gryz- $3.67m
Forbort- $3m
Bergeron/krejci- $4.5m

$16m worth of healthy scratches and players not even on the team. Almost 20% of the teams cap not contributing to the playoffs right now.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Spotlight on Lindholm as well. Atrocious play for a top 4 defenseman who allegedly would be #1 on many teams. Playing terrified and making zero plays, negative impact. Highly disappointing. Did the Carolina and Florida series harm his mental state so significantly?

Carlo is playing like Boychuk compared to Lindholm playing like... Hunwick.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
It’s just overall complete roster/cap mismanagement.

Ullmark - $5m
Gryz- $3.67m
Forbort- $3m
Bergeron/krejci- $4.5m

$16m worth of healthy scratches and players not even on the team. Almost 20% of the teams cap not contributing to the playoffs right now.

Forgot the Reilly buyout as paltry as it is. Next year that hurts a little bit more.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Just not sure. I feel like we are finally seeing the NJ version of Zacha. He had his chances there as well and by the end he was a third line winger. He just may be one of those guys when things get comfortable he trails off. I don’t think he is bad I just think he may not be consistent enough in a top 6 role. A third line of Coyle and Zacha is probably a great asset but those two in the top 6 you’ll have to expect inconsistencies

Maybe, but almost 120 points in 2 seasons is a lot from a third liner. I do think he’s much better at LW and if they could find a legit 1C, I think he’d be perfect as a 1/2 LW.

Last edited:

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle
Spotlight on Lindholm as well. Atrocious play for a top 4 defenseman who allegedly would be #1 on many teams. Playing terrified and making zero plays, negative impact. Highly disappointing. Did the Carolina and Florida series harm his mental state so significantly?

I’m actually shocked at how often I’m noticing him for all the wrong reasons, it’s hard to watch at times…..I keep asking myself if it’s as bad as it looks right now as I’m watching the game, then I see the players that are supposed to carry the team looking completely lost for consecutive shifts, then periods, then games…. Yep it’s as bad as it looks….. but is it the players or the coaching? I’m not smart enough to place the blame, but it’s gotta be more one than the other, good coaches get maximum reward from minimal pieces, bad coaches can ruin a decent roster.

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC

Either his foot will likely never heal to the point pre injury giving him foot speed and angle control or he was told to play a different game. He’s a completely different player then he was but tbf Anaheim fans said the same thing would happen.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Maroon has 2 assists, 17 hits, and is a +2.

That’s a solid 6 weeks work for Lauko.

Lauko would be at 30 hits and contribute to a working forecheck leading to possession. We know he is not scoring but against this Toronto defense a swift forecheck is as valuable as points from the 4th line. Plus, at least 6 of those hits were in Maroon's one good game. He is so far behind the play he can only deliver modest shoulder checks well after the puck is gone, leading to insignificant force to avoid penalties!

GahdenRinkRat

Bruins' Den Mother
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2008
By the Dirty Watah
i honestly think the whole team should get a buzz going on for game 7. not too drunk to play, but enough to get rid of the nerves.
Aka the 2004 Red Sox strategy( Crown Royal toast before the 7th game) maybe Kevin Millar needs to come be the flag captain for game 7:sarcasm:
Cowboy up:facepalm:

Failing that I’ll take Kevan Miller as the real flag captain…:wg:

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Lauko would be at 30 hits and contribute to a working forecheck leading to possession. We know he is not scoring but against this Toronto defense a swift forecheck is as valuable as points from the 4th line. Plus, at least 6 of those hits were in Maroon's one good game. He is so far behind the play he can only deliver modest shoulder checks well after the puck is gone, leading to insignificant force to avoid penalties!

I find skating to be the most overrated aspect of the game. You can either play or you can’t. Maroon can play. Lauko will be out of the NHL in a year or two.

Maroon has been far from a problem and Lauko has been far from useful.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I find skating to be the most overrated aspect of the game. You can either play or you can’t. Maroon can play. Lauko will be out of the NHL in a year or two.

Skating ability and speed are two different things.

Speed gets you nothing without good hands and some hockey IQ.

Reactions: BBruins

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Skating ability and speed are two different things.

Speed gets you nothing without good hands and some hockey IQ.

I was talking skating in general.

But Lauko is pretty much the poster child for what you’re saying.

He hasn’t thrown a noticeable/impactful hit in months and he simply can’t produce points.

I wanted to like him and gave him a fair shot, because like a lot of people it seems, I assumed that with his skating and effort he’d produce with more ice time and experience.

However, it’s pretty clear now that he’s just an AHL’er.

I wish my coaches felt that way when I was young!

Skating without talent and hockey IQ is more useless than a lack of skating coupled with skill and hockey IQ, is my point.

Sadly skating ability and speed often tricks people into thinking someone is good.

DoubleBack

Apr 29, 2024
Bingo, Zacha and Coyle serve no purpose on the team.
They need a legit #1 center, bad. and someone with some actual fire in the belly, preferably two, on D and a forward. Nothing against Linus, I like him a lot, but Sway is younger, trade Ulmark and get more grit that can give you some offense. When the time comes give the C to a genuine leader, not based on time served or age. Nobody on this team should cry after a loss, they should throw up and be angry or be gone.

Other teams need to say of the Bruins, "They're not human, they're brutal!"

1714763352943.png

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
To be fair Pastrnak is alone on an island. The opposite of Matthews who waits for the puck to arrive and scores.

Now Pastrnak is the puck carrier, distributor, AND shooter on his line. Not much he truly can do to meet expectations with this roster. He must have attempted 8-10 shots game 6. He is in a role only McDavid can succeed in.

As others have said, last night was a chance for Montgomery to lean on a version of the perfection line. Marchand/Coyle/Pastrnak. All in. Zacha invisible. Debrusk alone but also limited in his own style, north south.

Poor roster management. Montgomery needs to figure this out.
The excuses for Pasta looking like dog shit all series is laughable, He floats around like his teammates owe him something.

Take over a game JUST ONCE 5 on 5 not look like you are playing in a preseason game.

He's been the worst player on the ice in a Bruin uniform, not what you want from a guy making 11.5 million for the next thousand years

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

I disagree. We saw the Bruins forecheck singlehandedly dominate early in the series. Need speed for that.

Maroon is a problem because he never is in position to make a play, always 3 seconds behind the puck and essentially the 4th line is Boqvist trying his best Samsonov act, alone.

Then when Toronto defenseman blindly turn the puck back to the neutral zone, Maroon is still puffing his way out of the defensive zone.

Maroon was a 13th-15th forward when he came to Boston. The media is far overhyped anything he does out of desperation for the size.

Far too much credit for his "board battles" where he simply pins the puck until another player, either team, retrieves it.

Toronto defensemen handle the puck like a grenade, much like the Bruins defense this series. Issue is, Toronto pressures and skates. Boston does not.

Reactions: Gordoff

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I disagree. We saw the Bruins forecheck singlehandedly dominate early in the series. Need speed for that.

Maroon is a problem because he never is in position to make a play, always 3 seconds behind the puck and essentially the 4th line is Boqvist trying his best Samsonov act, alone.

Then when Toronto defenseman blindly turn the puck back to the neutral zone, Maroon is still puffing his way out of the defensive zone.

I’m not going to quibble over 4th liner too much,

I get your opinion, but I don’t see Lauko being any more effective than Maroon. I

I wouldn’t be upset if both sat out next game for Beecher and Brazeau, but if someone put a gun to my head and told me I had to bet my last $1000 on Lauko or Maroon to score or set up a goal in game 7, I’d borrow another $1,000 from my brother and bet $2,000 on Maroon.

Similarly, if I was in the same position and told I had to pick one of the two to take a bad penalty or cost the team a goal with a bad play, I’d take Lauko.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Monty should be tarred and feathered in Boston Common
I am 95% unable to travel because of a handicap however if the above were to happen I will be there for this. Please give me as much advanced notice as possible, I need all the time I can have to get from NJ to the Boston Common. I hope they have a handicap section for viewing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad