Post-Game Talk: 11/7/19 | #14 RANGERS @ hurricanes

3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Canes really are tenacious on the forecheck and in the neutral zone. Their D is stupid good too. Slavin is gold along the boards.

IMO their offense still has too much of the kitchen sink mentality. There were more than a few times I thought they took ill advised low percentage shots when they could have let the play develop more and make a better play. They outplayed us for sure, and still had the majority of real scoring chances, but they don't seem to have that quick strike ability that the real top teams of the last 4 or 5 years have had.

Goaltending is still a major weakness for them as well.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
The first period really the last 9 mins skews the numbers. We basically got run out of the building in that back half and lose horribly if not for Lundqvist. Shots were actually even thru the first half of the period.

However the 2nd and 3rd were very even both teams had waves of momentum. Carolina didn’t have a shot on goal for 8 or 9 mins in the 2nd. Kakko drew a powerplay on a great move to the net we capitalize on a great tip then get the insurance goal on more relentless pressure by the 2nd line.

there were good things in that game for sure.

The top line really struggled getting Mika back will be huge. We need him especially against teams like that.

As I said in the game thread. I haven’t seen hank play a game like that in 4 maybe 5 years. Unreal performance.

Last edited:

PalmCoastRanger

Jun 21, 2019
I'm so impressed with him and think he's going to be and integral piece of this team going forward and I hope and pray Gorton and JD do what it takes to sign him up after the year to a multiple year deal where he remains a Ranger for many years going forward.

He's slowly but surely becoming one of my favorite Rangers...love love his game...:nod:

A homegrown-ish, skilled agitator. Sign him up to a reasonable 4, maybe even 5 year deal.

Reactions: Maximus

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I would really like us to stop getting freight trained in first periods.

Goalies can't mask our pathetic lack of preparedness forever.

Reactions: leetch99

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I gotta say that our sandpaper boy Lemieux is impressing me more and more each game he plays.

He showed bits and pieces last year when we got him from Winnipeg but he's really emerged lately into more than just a grinder type guy. The boy has skills. I never realized how fast and quick he was with the puck and he really does have some serious offensive game.

He's our "Tom Wilson" Lite minus the slew foots and cheap ass ****. I'm so impressed with him and think he's going to be and integral piece of this team going forward and I hope and pray Gorton and JD do what it takes to sign him up after the year to a multiple year deal where he remains a Ranger for many years going forward.

He's slowly but surely becoming one of my favorite Rangers...love love his game...:nod:
If I was a betting man, I would bet that he is being groomed to be the big body in front of the net, post Krieder.

I made the comparison before, but he could be the modern day Momesso. Or perhaps a combination with Momesso & Holstrom.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Henrik was the only reason we picked up that win.

That's about as 1 sided of a game as you're gonna see.
Henke was vintage Henke last night. Those types of games reminded me of many. He absolutely was the only reason there was a victory and not a blow out loss.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
I feel like the shot tracking was off. Carolina had their moments but the Rangers owned large swathes of the second and were fine in the first too. Though I didn’t see the whole first period. But it just seems to me those numbers are wrong. Who tracks shots?
Guys CMON!!!! Carolina had minimum a dozen grade A+ chances from dead
Center of the slot. Unmolested one timers break ins tap ins etc. easily the worst defensive first half a game I’ve ever seen a team play. If you can’t see that then I don’t know what to tell you

Lundqvist stole
Two points. Game should have been 6-1 halfway through

Reactions: ohbaby

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I would really like us to stop getting freight trained in first periods.

Goalies can't mask our pathetic lack of preparedness forever.

We've scored the 1st goal of the game in 10 of 14 games. In 9 of those 10, the goal came in the 1st period.

In those 14 games, we have been leading at the end of the 1st 5 times, losing 5 times and tied 4 times.

I don't see a trend here. If anything, the trend is that we play well to start and then fall apart later, as we did with Boston and Ottawa.

Last night we were playing the back end of a back-to-back against a rested team, and we still played well for the first 5-10 minutes. We didn't sustain it through the entire period, but we were leading after 1 and ultimately won the game. This is the only game I think we can legitimately point at and say they got significantly outplayed in the 1st period, but I don't see it as a lack of preparedness. Even without considering the back-to-back situation, Carolina is one of the best possession teams in the league over the last number of years. Luckily for us, all of that possession and all those shots still didn't translate into goals as often as they should.

PoddubnyRules

Jun 9, 2008
I mean he clearly deflects it there. And why in the world would be go first in line if he didn't? Semantics at this point anyway, but yeah.

At the moment that you believe Chytil redirected the puck, Buch's stick is INSIDE (i.e., goal-side of) Chytil's, and still contacting the puck - so there's no way for Chytil to have touched it. Agree that he swats it once it's in the net, though.

ponytrekker

Mar 28, 2013
At the moment that you believe Chytil redirected the puck, Buch's stick is INSIDE (i.e., goal-side of) Chytil's, and still contacting the puck - so there's no way for Chytil to have touched it. Agree that he swats it once it's in the net, though.
The puck changes direction from going toward outside the net toward going in. Buch banked it off Fil's stick.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
We've scored the 1st goal of the game in 10 of 14 games. In 9 of those 10, the goal came in the 1st period.

In those 14 games, we have been leading at the end of the 1st 5 times, losing 5 times and tied 4 times.

I don't see a trend here. If anything, the trend is that we play well to start and then fall apart later, as we did with Boston and Ottawa.

Last night we were playing the back end of a back-to-back against a rested team, and we still played well for the first 5-10 minutes. We didn't sustain it through the entire period, but we were leading after 1 and ultimately won the game. This is the only game I think we can legitimately point at and say they got significantly outplayed in the 1st period, but I don't see it as a lack of preparedness. Even without considering the back-to-back situation, Carolina is one of the best possession teams in the league over the last number of years. Luckily for us, all of that possession and all those shots still didn't translate into goals as often as they should.

People like to blame Ruff and Quinn about the defense, and rightfully so at times but last night's performance in their own end and how they were pinned in the d-zone for hours was on the forwards just as much as it was on the defense. When you don't get the puck deep and establish a forecheck you give a team like Carolina the opportunity to gain the zone with numbers, and then it's a shit show. And shocker, once they started getting pucks deep and forechecking, they played much, much better and created their own opportunities like we saw on Panarin's goal.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
So the NHL did officially change the goal to Chytil from Buchnevich so poster above is correct he must have forced it in. Good for him regardless the puck never crosses the goal line if he isn’t on top of it tying up defenders stick and forcing it across. Chytil really deserves one in that game

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018
Was very nice Fox scoring the insurance goal. Defense was not good but got a little better as the game went on. Buch and Chytil great games tonight. Panarin did his thing, and Andersson has been brutal, sitting didn’t do anything for him. Oh and Hank was a god in this one.

Also, WTF is going on with CK? Wow.
I feel Andersson is talented but how can he get going playing 8 minutes per night with Smith and mck egg?

MrPodz

Aug 16, 2019
Couple things:
1. Everybody said what i think about hanks game.
2. The idea that lemeuix being groomed for kreiders spot on the big boy net game is exactly what i think, especially with his recent play.
3. Chytil really impresses with his forecheck and better defense. So thats how hartford is supposed to work huh.
4. Lias andersson, despite what everyone is saying about him getting a chance, has done nothing to move up. I saw practically no offense from him and he was hemmed in his own zone. Feelin the trade for puljujarvi...
5. Panarin really is a game breaker, and strome is startin to develop elite passing, just rangers always hd a finishing problem. They would start the party and end it with glorious missed chances.
6. I know kreider is not a shooter, but geez can he at least get his head out of his ass.
7. Good job buch, you did good. Looks like panarin (not playing with him) and his presence is helping. Guy got 10 assists already.
8. I really think strome is 1rw this year when mika is back. Good to see less hate after the 5 pages of discussion on a game thread last game.
9. Imagine how much better we will be with mika.
10. What is going on with mika?
11. Howden, blech

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
Couple things:
1. Everybody said what i think about hanks game.
2. The idea that lemeuix being groomed for kreiders spot on the big boy net game is exactly what i think, especially with his recent play.
3. Chytil really impresses with his forecheck and better defense. So thats how hartford is supposed to work huh.
4. Lias andersson, despite what everyone is saying about him getting a chance, has done nothing to move up. I saw practically no offense from him and he was hemmed in his own zone. Feelin the trade for puljujarvi...
5. Panarin really is a game breaker, and strome is startin to develop elite passing, just rangers always hd a finishing problem. They would start the party and end it with glorious missed chances.
6. I know kreider is not a shooter, but geez can he at least get his head out of his ass.
7. Good job buch, you did good. Looks like panarin (not playing with him) and his presence is helping. Guy got 10 assists already.
8. I really think strome is 1rw this year when mika is back. Good to see less hate after the 5 pages of discussion on a game thread last game.
9. Imagine how much better we will be with mika.
10. What is going on with mika?
11. Howden, blech
To answer number 10. Mika has a “ bruised sternum/neck” issue that has caused him to be out almost two weeks already. It’s not a concussion ;)

ponytrekker

Mar 28, 2013
To answer number 10. Mika has a “ bruised sternum/neck” issue that has caused him to be out almost two weeks already. It’s not a concussion ;)
source.gif

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I feel Andersson is talented but how can he get going playing 8 minutes per night with Smith and mck egg?

But what has he done to warrant more mins? If he starts playing better then he should move up, no question. You take the hand that you are dealt and work with it. Heck, even Smith has provided more to the team than him.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
By the way, after watching the gif very closely a hundred times, the 3rd goal was definitely Chytil.

57 seconds into this video:

Keep replaying it and you can see Chytil's stick redirect Buchnevich's wrap. That's why he went first in the fist bump line to the bench. He wouldn't have done that unless he knew.

Great job man!
Also check out how Chytil stops in front of the next asserts himself and gets positioning against guy defending him. Hope he continues to use his frame like that to his advantage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad