Post-Game Talk: 11/7/19 | #14 RANGERS @ hurricanes

3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I missed Kreider's brain fart play. Anybody have a video / .gif of it?

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
People like to blame Ruff and Quinn about the defense, and rightfully so at times but last night's performance in their own end and how they were pinned in the d-zone for hours was on the forwards just as much as it was on the defense. When you don't get the puck deep and establish a forecheck you give a team like Carolina the opportunity to gain the zone with numbers, and then it's a **** show. And shocker, once they started getting pucks deep and forechecking, they played much, much better and created their own opportunities like we saw on Panarin's goal.
Coaching the defense isn't just coaching the actual D-men. Our forwards are usually equally to blame when we're pinned in our zone.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Very true alot of our forwards have a terrible time on the walls. But even more so sustaining our own offensive zone pressure and time with the puck.

EEL

Sep 18, 2008
HHI
Great W tonight and tho I voted for the King, Buch and Fox as my 3 stars, I gotta say that our sandpaper boy Lemieux is impressing me more and more each game he plays.

He showed bits and pieces last year when we got him from Winnipeg but he's really emerged lately into more than just a grinder type guy. The boy has skills. I never realized how fast and quick he was with the puck and he really does have some serious offensive game.

He's our "Tom Wilson" Lite minus the slew foots and cheap ass ****. I'm so impressed with him and think he's going to be and integral piece of this team going forward and I hope and pray Gorton and JD do what it takes to sign him up after the year to a multiple year deal where he remains a Ranger for many years going forward.

He's slowly but surely becoming one of my favorite Rangers...love love his game...:nod:
I was at game last night and focused on him. - He was ALL in from drop of puck!! Full speed and totally engaged. Smaller than I thought but he doesn’t know that!!! :laugh:

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I was at game last night and focused on him. - He was ALL in from drop of puck!! Full speed and totally engaged. Smaller than I thought but he doesn’t know that!!! :laugh:
“Small” but he seems to be built like a brick house.

Reactions: Wicked Backhand

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Small (er) height wise, but far from a small. He is a thick kid

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Just watched the game this morning.

Hank - there's nothing to say. We're so effing lucky that we've been able to watch this man play hockey in a Rangers sweater for the last 15 years. He's given so much joy to our fanbase.

Buch - two good, engaged games in a row after a few lackluster ones. Let's hope he keeps this up.

Chytil - I thought he was great today. In particular, he was one of the few forecheckers who was doing anything in periods one and two. Lots of stopping and starting, using his body along the walls...just a fabulous effort and performance from a young player. A game like that will keep him in the good graces of the coaches.

Fox - I thought he was a little below his top level, but even when he's not playing his best, he's such a difference maker with the puck.

Reactions: Leetch3

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Happy to share it with those who don't know. It's especially fun in the playoffs. I know they offered both home/away before but I can't recall if that was only during playoffs or also regular season. Either way, it's still way better than the nonsense on NHL.com etc.
I've been relying on Don't Tell Me The Score for highlights all around for a good while now. It's superb, no extra BS, no ad nagging, just the hockey m'am. If I lived in a monarchy I'd want the guy running it knighted. [I don't live in a monarchy.]

Once more for posterity:
Spoiler Free NHL Highlights

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
It was awesome to see Fox and Lindgren out there in the final moments

Also Kakko trusted to forecheck, and he did good corner work in the partly lucky play that got the puck to Fox who didn't make no mistake.

Reactions: bl02

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
LuNdQvIsT iS WaShEd Up

It's November. It's when I remember a time when eLiTe TyPiNg was cool for youngsters, not an indicator of sarcasm. When did this change?

When the forum or chat lingo got to 1337 level of spelling abuse it probably reached its apex, mid '90s or so, was it?

Anyway, whoever coined the term "social media" should be shot, and I'm talking about a hard slapper. Not to even begin with these later concoctions.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
I mean he clearly deflects it there. And why in the world would be go first in line if he didn't? Semantics at this point anyway, but yeah.

I protest. "Semantics" doesn't mean idle bickering, semantics is a well established scholarly field under general linguistics: the study of meanings, and it has been going strong for a long time. (That said, personally I always had trouble with the line between semantics proper, "the study of meanings" and pragmatics, "the study of purposes" [of various linguistic expressions from morphemes to words and phrases and full texts] and that's probably a good thing.) Plenty books are available to help you, ask your local library.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Been watching Hurricanes games for a while and I noticed this as well. Seems to me that shot quality is more important than shot quantity. That, or it’s a goaltending issue. Some goalies do better when they face more shots. Or analytics just aren’t as telling.
Last season when Aho and Teravainen stepped up, the run and gun started working and they made the PO. Before that, I'm not sure if the talent wasn't there or if the coaching lacked some Brind'Amour, but obviously the fans were miserable; now they have even the club financing sorted out with Dundon. I'm not convinced Mrazek won't be a goaltending issue for Canes but only time will tell. This early season at least Aho has sucked every a$$ and Turbo hasn't stepped up and Svech is still young so they are sorely lacking in shot quality, which maybe was always secondary for them to quantity. Got to love a run and gun team though, even if it isn't a recipe for deep playoffs success. They need Haula back, their C depth isn't so hot.

[Kappo and half Zib have made me a NYR fan but not really the devout, ironcast kind, rather a new landing pad for the volatile homercopter. I do hope these visits are alright and not offensive. If they are, fsck you too, sideways, then lengthwise.]

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
I gotta say that our sandpaper boy Lemieux is impressing me more and more each game he plays.
Right? When he rushes up the ice with the puck, he reminds me a little of Panarin 2.0. And you feel that he might finish like Panarin too. But more often than not he dumps it in at the blueline on the rush and then retrieves the puck. Which IMO he does better than anybody on this club. I knew from last year how valuable he would be for this team. He has high speed and closes gaps quickly. Is relentless on the forecheck and has some skills teams are learning to respect. If the entire team didn't forget to protect the middle last night, I would say he had a great night.

Reactions: Maximus

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
You watch Lindgren race in to get the puck in his own zone and quickly make a play every time.
Did you see him and Fox on the ice the last minute of the game? After the timeout and two faceoffs, Quinn had the option to put anyone he wanted out there in the last minute. He chose Lindgren and Fox! I see a bright future for our backline.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Last season when Aho and Teravainen stepped up, the run and gun started working and they made the PO. Before that, I'm not sure if the talent wasn't there or if the coaching lacked some Brind'Amour, but obviously the fans were miserable; now they have even the club financing sorted out with Dundon. I'm not convinced Mrazek won't be a goaltending issue for Canes but only time will tell. This early season at least Aho has sucked every a$$ and Turbo hasn't stepped up and Svech is still young so they are sorely lacking in shot quality, which maybe was always secondary for them to quantity. Got to love a run and gun team though, even if it isn't a recipe for deep playoffs success. They need Haula back, their C depth isn't so hot.

[Kappo and half Zib have made me a NYR fan but not really the devout, ironcast kind, rather a new landing pad for the volatile homercopter. I do hope these visits are alright and not offensive. If they are, fsck you too, sideways, then lengthwise.]
Lol don’t worry, I’m a Hurricanes fan. The only team I hope they lose to are the Rangers.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Canes really are tenacious on the forecheck and in the neutral zone. Their D is stupid good too. Slavin is gold along the boards.
Except for that time they fell asleep with Buchy coming off the boards to walk right in front of the net untouched. What a gift of a goal.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Panarin really is a game breaker, and strome is startin to develop elite passing, just rangers always hd a finishing problem. They would start the party and end it with glorious missed chances.
They have to keep these guys together (Panarin-Strome) when Mika returns. Until the well runs dry. They are lights out together right now.

Reactions: Larrybiv

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Did you see him and Fox on the ice the last minute of the game? After the timeout and two faceoffs, Quinn had the option to put anyone he wanted out there in the last minute. He chose Lindgren and Fox! I see a bright future for our backline.

Fox/Lindgren also the answer to the trivia question: Which of the Rangers' 7 Defenseman have had the least amount of coaching from Lindy Ruff?

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
20192020-20241-all.png
Kinda looks like a storm cell. Let me ask you a question, this map shows attempts? So let’s say they throw the puck at the net from all those different green/yellow (that’s an attempt) and it gets blocked/hits a body/anything in the red and then the canes player gets to puck 1st and attempts another shot on net, that’s another attempt.
Am I right?

if they had 47 shots and 90 some odd attempts, that means half of the attempts might have been dead shots eaten up by the plays. Look I love the brind’amours philosophy of hounding by being fast/physical, forechecking and putting a ton of attempts at the net and getting to those pucks 1st and it turns into higher scoring percentage shots.

I’m kinda getting at, I don’t think the canes dominated at all, I think they were playing a ranger team that had played the night before and as a deeper older more experience team and especially defense, I think what the canes did do was their gameplay, but that after the 1st period that the rangers really pushed back with a determination to bury the chances they got and do they best they could to keep up and keep the puck to the outside and then make it hard on the canes to turn their follow up chances (which kept coming cuz the canes had better legs and had the puck a ton in the offenive zone) from becoming uncontested prime scoring opportunities. I think even though they had a hard time getting the step on the canes players throughout the game, they were right on their heels when it came to that prime patch of ice in front of the net. And it forced the canes players to have to get a shot off real quick a lot times, and they don’t have many snipers and Hank was anticipating umbelievably and they were shooting pucks into hank all night, can you remember out-stretching with a glove or leg once? The canes worked Hard, better legs, great philosophy.

But they kinda were spinning their wheels at points in that game while the rangers impressively bent but didn’t break and would stay chasing the puck and it prevented the canes from getting any slam dunk Chances.

You watch. That was a mojo rising win

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
chris kreider is such a doofus. he dumb

how can you hope to score on an nhl goalie when u cant even beat a dman trying to play goalie.

you cannot make this stuff up.

Reactions: ohbaby

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad