Post-Game Talk: 11/7/19 | #14 RANGERS @ hurricanes

3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Kinda looks like a storm cell. Let me ask you a question, this map shows attempts? So let’s say they throw the puck at the net from all those different green/yellow (that’s an attempt) and it gets blocked/hits a body/anything in the red and then the canes player gets to puck 1st and attempts another shot on net.

Am I right?
It's a heat map showing the relation of shot attempts to each other for each team. Green being areas with the fewest shot attempts, going to yellow, and then up to red which is more higher concentrations of shot attempts (or in this case, for the Rangers, light green to dark blue)

Now, this is of UNBLOCKED shot attempts. So, anything that ends up on-net, in-net, or wide. In your scenario, it depends. If the initial attempt is blocked and then generates a rebound that leads to another attempt from the same team, that will count as a single unblock attempt from the location the rebound was picked up. As for wild redirections that end up on the stick of another player for another attempt, redirects of a random body to be on-net, or something that is not definitively a block, it's up to the discretion of the person recording the stats.

Last edited:

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas
20192020-20241-all.png
Oh
My
Jesus

This should be framed on Hanks wall :laugh:

If that was put on the news here people would duck and cover cuz that's a tornado coming in hot lol.

Reactions: ohbaby

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
It's a heat map showing the relation of shot attempts to each other for each team. Green being areas with the fewest shot attempts, going to yellow, and then up to red which is more higher concentrations of shot attempts (or in this case, for the Rangers, light green to dark blue)

Now, this is of UNBLOCKED shot attempts. So, anything that ends up on-net, in-net, or wide. In your scenario, it depends. If the initial attempt is blocked and then generates a rebound that leads to another attempt from the same team, that will count as a single unblock attempt from the location the rebound was picked up. As for wild redirections that end up on the stick of another player for another attempt, redirects of a random body to be on-net, or something that is not definitively a block, it's up to the discretion of the person recording the stats.
Hahaha. Yeah that last part is the area that can skewer the maps value in my mind.

And how about canes players purposely shooting it wide into the corners for a teammate to grab (let’s see as a design of the system), that’s an attempt to. It’s an attempt wide.

All I know is the hank played lights out like NHL do from time to time, we were never down in the game, 1-0, 2-1, 3-1 with 4 mins left, and both canes goals came up deflections and not clean shots. Sounds like for all the canes forecheck and skating around the zone firing pucks from everywhere thanks to hanks being locked in, the rangers produced a hard hold the line, get some goals, and get out of town with 4 pts in the last 27hrs.

Let me tell you. I was at that game. that place was loud at the beginning and for a minute after they scored that 1st goal, but otherwise, especially the 3rd, that arena and fan base had the vibe that they knew they weren’t gonna be pulling this game out, a lot of people left after the 2nd period, even more as the 3rd period went on, it’s really quiet and you just see people poppin and heading up the stairs. The rangers such a gutsy, clutch by some, timely by others road game against probably the hardest working team and most tenacious forecheck on you hard/quick who’s riding high after the playoff run and a summer believing and wanting to build on the success and the buzz. That was a big win.

Reactions: egelband

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
that place was loud at the beginning and for a minute after they scored that 1st goal, but otherwise, especially the 3rd, that arena and fan base had the vibe that they knew they weren’t gonna be pulling this game out, a lot of people left after the 2nd period, even more as the 3rd period went on, it’s really quiet and you just see people poppin and heading up the stairs.
Carolina fans are all too familiar with being regularly disappointed by CAR/NYR games for the last few seasons, no matter how good they are.

Reactions: NernieBichols

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Is there a link to the post game interviews? Rangers official site never put them up.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Kinda looks like a storm cell. Let me ask you a question, this map shows attempts? So let’s say they throw the puck at the net from all those different green/yellow (that’s an attempt) and it gets blocked/hits a body/anything in the red and then the canes player gets to puck 1st and attempts another shot on net, that’s another attempt.
Am I right?

if they had 47 shots and 90 some odd attempts, that means half of the attempts might have been dead shots eaten up by the plays. Look I love the brind’amours philosophy of hounding by being fast/physical, forechecking and putting a ton of attempts at the net and getting to those pucks 1st and it turns into higher scoring percentage shots.

I’m kinda getting at, I don’t think the canes dominated at all, I think they were playing a ranger team that had played the night before and as a deeper older more experience team and especially defense, I think what the canes did do was their gameplay, but that after the 1st period that the rangers really pushed back with a determination to bury the chances they got and do they best they could to keep up and keep the puck to the outside and then make it hard on the canes to turn their follow up chances (which kept coming cuz the canes had better legs and had the puck a ton in the offenive zone) from becoming uncontested prime scoring opportunities. I think even though they had a hard time getting the step on the canes players throughout the game, they were right on their heels when it came to that prime patch of ice in front of the net. And it forced the canes players to have to get a shot off real quick a lot times, and they don’t have many snipers and Hank was anticipating umbelievably and they were shooting pucks into hank all night, can you remember out-stretching with a glove or leg once? The canes worked Hard, better legs, great philosophy.

But they kinda were spinning their wheels at points in that game while the rangers impressively bent but didn’t break and would stay chasing the puck and it prevented the canes from getting any slam dunk Chances.

You watch. That was a mojo rising win
I know I’m in the minority but I agree. I think it was a pitched battle. Both teams had patches of domination. The Canes got more pucks on net but they were also behind most of the game, pressing, and flinging everything on net. A team with a lead - particularly on the second of a back-to-back - is naturally going to play more conservatively. Hank came up huge a number of times and the Canes goalie really didnt. That’s the difference.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
My stars went to Henrik, Buchnevich, and Lemieux. Though I thought Strome, Chytil, Fox, DeAngelo, Panarin, Trouba, even the fourth line when they played, we’re all noticeable. Trouba sometimes isn’t particularly noticeable but he’s very active in the defensive end, covering a lot of ground, and finishing hits. I think the little offensive explosion to begin the season was an aberration but that’s fine. He’s very strong in his own end.

FoxyClean

Gets The Tough Pucks Out
Sep 19, 2016
Brooklyn
So the NHL did officially change the goal to Chytil from Buchnevich so poster above is correct he must have forced it in. Good for him regardless the puck never crosses the goal line if he isn’t on top of it tying up defenders stick and forcing it across. Chytil really deserves one in that game

Oh wow I was really excited to come home from work and see that I was actually right about that, haha. Didn't expect the league to actually go back and change that.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Gentlemen, dvr is a thing.

Personally, I now do not watch anything live, especially sports where on delay I can skip all annoying commercials, game stoppages and instantly go back to rewatch important moments of the game

Reactions: Larrybiv

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Carolina fans are all too familiar with being regularly disappointed by CAR/NYR games for the last few seasons, no matter how good they are.
Checked out entire gdt thread on HF Carolina. Man, those Caniacs are pretty hard on their team, especially this Ranger loss. They want Hank to retire already (what a surprise) they knew what was coming. Still had hope though as they are on the rise as a team. Complaining of NO finishers, and Jordan playing like crap and not the leader Williams was.
Some giving due credit to Hank, but others stating poor shot selection and no east/west play moving Hank from side to side.
"One of those games" and not winning games they should win.
Like our Rangers, winning games vs good teams, and losing to supposedly "bad teams".

Reactions: ohbaby and Ola

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I've been relying on Don't Tell Me The Score for highlights all around for a good while now. It's superb, no extra BS, no ad nagging, just the hockey m'am. If I lived in a monarchy I'd want the guy running it knighted. [I don't live in a monarchy.]

Once more for posterity:
Spoiler Free NHL Highlights
Great website, been watching there for years now. Think NHL run. Lots of gameplay, not just scoring. Great way of catching up on other teams play without knowing the score prior. Love it!

Reactions: Stubu

Anzi

May 16, 2019
Boston
Checked out entire gdt thread on HF Carolina. Man, those Caniacs are pretty hard on their team, especially this Ranger loss. They want Hank to retire already (what a surprise) they knew what was coming. Still had hope though as they are on the rise as a team. Complaining of NO finishers, and Jordan playing like crap and not the leader Williams was.
Some giving due credit to Hank, but others stating poor shot selection and no east/west play moving Hank from side to side.
"One of those games" and not winning games they should win.
Like our Rangers, winning games vs good teams, and losing to supposedly "bad teams".

28 of 34 now. We have their number it seems. They are probably pretty sick of playing us.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
They have to keep these guys together (Panarin-Strome) when Mika returns. Until the well runs dry. They are lights out together right now.
Man do they read off each other! Seems it doesnt matter who the other winger is. I mean, it does.....but it doesnt. Know what I mean?

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Coaching the defense isn't just coaching the actual D-men. Our forwards are usually equally to blame when we're pinned in our zone.
Honestly, that is why Zbad is missed almost equally to missing him offensively. In my head (when pinned in by Canes) all I could envision was Zbad stealing the puck in anticipation, or using his quickness to retrieve a puck and head it out of the zone. He really has become EVERYTHING we could ever want in a 1C. We need him back asap, even though we have been doing very well w/o him.

Thus far, they have already exceeded my expectations, (nice to see) and honestly.......I am NOT all for being a bubble team. Want the kids to GROW, but wins are not the end all, be all for me.

BringBackLibertys

Oct 10, 2007
Middlesex, NC
About CK, I was there. After the game the team was heading off the ice and he was down on his knees, back to my seats. I could not tell if he was praying for a break or crying cause of how bad he played. What a mess. Hank was vintage Hank, or this game would have been over by the end of the 1st. Buch was our best skater, his jump, even away from the puck was super impressive.

Reactions: Ola and ohbaby

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Man do they read off each other! Seems it doesnt matter who the other winger is. I mean, it does.....but it doesnt. Know what I mean?
Fast was a big piece on that goal they scored. They cycled well, and kept the puck in the zone. But your right, probably anyone could fit in with those two.

Reactions: Ola

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Great website, been watching there for years now. Think NHL run. Lots of gameplay, not just scoring. Great way of catching up on other teams play without knowing the score prior. Love it!

That’s great. I’ve learned to navigate the NHL site without seeing the scores, but i am going to start using that one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->