Post-Game Talk: 11/7/17 | Canucks 5 @ Flames 3

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Just finished watching and my god that was a roller coaster!!
SPECIAL TEAMS! Comes thru tonight at the end...

Sphincter clenching game... way too many chances for my heart to handle...

Marky was awesome.. was gonna post at 3-3 that the goal that beats us IF we lost was gonna be the weakest/unluckiest of the season - Canuck luck. Wasnt meant to be!!
(Also i was a couple/few hrs behind everyone else)

On to Anaheim..

Not sure why everyone's being so hard on Gaunce, anyone coming off a long term injury will take a bit to get going

I haven't read back, but that's ridiculous if people are doing that!
Hasnt played an NHL game since last season, missed camp... ridiculous.
I dislike the guy... but he di well tonight and was solid on the PK and his role... no qualms about his game.

*GOT* Shame! Shame!

Brock Boeser

Mar 11, 2013
I see a 19 year old kid who had 48 points in his Rookie season and currently has 9 in 14 with some physicality. Would be amazing to have him on the team supporting our young cast of Horvat and Boeser.
Of course he'd be nice to have. I just think the fact that Juolevi isn't tracking well has caused people to overhype his abilities as a player, I don't see him improving much with his skillset.

But take my opinion with a grain of salt, I haven't done enough research to back my claims.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Great game by Markstom. Bailed the team out on multiple occasions. Anyone complaining that Demko should have gotten the start.. well you were already wrong before the game, and you were even more wrong after the game.

Just a hideous game by the entire blueline. No need to even pick anyone out, there were mistakes all-around. The defense was the strength of the team through 10 games despite the injuries, but these last handful of games have not been good. Nice pass by MDZ on the Vanek goal, and great play by Tanev to save a goal on that scramble down low.

Gagner was great up front. They weren't anything special the rest of the night, but great work by Sutter and Dorsett again to cause the goal. The way the pucks are going in is pretty funny at this point, but the old cliche "good things happen when you go to the net" is a cliche for a reason and this line is living off it.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Only caught bits of the game but Markstrom looked terrific. Wonder if the same people who claim the Granlund trade is now incredible will also retroactively praise Gillis for extracting a terrific young starting goalie in exchange for a guy who is in the twilight of his career. Wait and see pays off again!

From what I saw in limited action, I don't have a huge problem with how the defense played. One of the big criticisms of Willie was that he wanted the team to play the same way, all the time. Maybe this is giving too much credit to Green, but it seems like they clued in fairly early that Smith was looking suspect and Markstrom was on a roll, so suddenly MDZ had the greenlight to freewheel. As much as the structure of the Dallas game might have been better and this style (especially with the lack of talent on the roster) definitely wouldn't work against a better team, sometimes you gotta give credit for just finding a way to win.

I'm certainly not in the camp that thinks Green is anything more special than an average to good NHL coach, but really gotta wonder if you could put 2017 Travis Green behind the bench instead of 2015 Willie Desjardins... do the Canucks beat the Flames in that series?

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I'm certainly not in the camp that thinks Green is anything more special than an average to good NHL coach, but really gotta wonder if you could put 2017 Travis Green behind the bench instead of 2015 Willie Desjardins... do the Canucks beat the Flames in that series?

If Green is willing to lean on his best players and do hard line matching, then yes. The ice was tilted that series whenever the Sedins were on the ice, including against the Flames top line. The stubborn line rolling allowed the Flames top line to feast on the Canucks less dominant lines.

We haven't seen Green in the playoffs yet.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Absolutely. We lost that series almost entirely based on coaching and would have won with any sort of middling coach behind the bench.

1-2-3-4. Conceding last change on home ice so Calgary could take Sbieksa behind the woodshed. Dorsett playing more at ES than Daniel Sedin. Sbisa playing the same minutes as Chris Tanev.

Just a complete abomination - he coached in the Stanley Cup playoffs the way a half-drunk dad would coach a bantam house league game.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
If Green is willing to lean on his best players and do hard line matching, then yes. The ice was tilted that series whenever the Sedins were on the ice, including against the Flames top line. The stubborn line rolling allowed the Flames top line to feast on the Canucks less dominant lines.

We haven't seen Green in the playoffs yet.

Yeah, haha. Guess it was more of a rhetorical comment than a question, but yesterday's game was such a stark difference to what we had before, because despite the team putting in a questionable effort and generally playing like garbage... they won. Markstrom deserves the bulk of the credit, but Green being an NHL coach definitely helps. Opposite to that series where the team was straight up better than the Flames but just got destroyed based on the weak links in the lineup (Sbieksa).

Rolling the 1-2-3-4 last night probably would have led to a 5-0 loss.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Of course he'd be nice to have. I just think the fact that Juolevi isn't tracking well has caused people to overhype his abilities as a player, I don't see him improving much with his skillset.

But take my opinion with a grain of salt, I haven't done enough research to back my claims.

Keller is the guy this fanbase should be flipping out over passing on. I think Tkachuk will peak early.

Reactions: Brock Boeser

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Keller is the guy this fanbase should be flipping out over passing on. I think Tkachuk will peak early.

Same.

Tkachuk obviously looks like he'd have been a better choice than Juolevi at this point but Keller is the guy who it's going to absolutely burn to have passed on in the longer term.

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
Marky completetely bailed the team out in the 2nd period. Flames were allowed a ridiculous amount of good looks but he delivered. Very impressive as he’s still adjusting to being ‘the guy’ and played his 3rd game in 4 nights - and it was a back to back. I secretly wanted Demko to start (cuz, hype!!) but it was a good thing he didn’t, because that would’ve been one helluva welcome to the show.

Scored a handful of goals - always appreciated. Vanek knows how to ‘rip the puck’ for sure. Sedins with another goal is always nice.

Pouliot regressed from his strong outing last night but was still good. Should definitely stay in the top 6 when Edler returns. Gudbranson is not good at hockey. Tanev repaid the goal he owed Marky.

Is Granlund injured or just scratched?

We scored on the PP! Unbelievable stuff.

Last edited:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Marky completetely bailed the team out in the 2nd period. Flames were allowed a ridiculous amount of good looks but he delivered. Very impressive as he’s still adjusting to being ‘the guy’ and played his 3rd game in 4 nights - and it was a back to back. I secretly wanted Demko to start (cuz, hype!!) but it was a good thing he didn’t, because that would’ve been one helluva welcome to the show.

Scored a handful of goals - always appreciated. Vanek knows how to ‘rip the puck’ for sure. Sedins with another goal is always nice.

Pouliot regressed from his strong outing last night but was still good. Should definitely stay in the top 6 when Edler returns. Gudbranson is not good at hockey. Tanev repaid the goal he owed Marky.

Is Granlund injured or just scratched?

We scored on the PP! Unbelievable stuff.

Injured

Reactions: thepoeticgoblin

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014

Doesnt show any sign of it he is BEASTING again already this year bub

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

For sure, but to be fair Keller wasn't the slam dunk consensus pick at the time. That's closer to a "should've drafted Karlsson" gripe than a "should've drafted Nylander/Ehlers" one. But with limited hindsight, yeah, Keller is the third best player in that draft and possibly pushing for second.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
For sure, but to be fair Keller wasn't the slam dunk consensus pick at the time. That's closer to a "should've drafted Karlsson" gripe than a "should've drafted Nylander/Ehlers" one. But with limited hindsight, yeah, Keller is the third best player in that draft and possibly pushing for second.

if only we hadn't tanked as hard keller would have fallen in our laps.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Markstrom was on fire. He won you guys that game.

We made a few costly mistakes, but those "few" mistakes all were potted in. You guys capitalized on your scoring chances. I knew that we were off this game when Brodie was skating as fast as a turtle and Sutter just turned on the afterburners to beat him, resulting in a goal.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Markstrom was on fire. He won you guys that game.

We made a few costly mistakes, but those "few" mistakes all were potted in. You guys capitalized on your scoring chances. I knew that we were off this game when Brodie was skating as fast as a turtle and Sutter just turned on the afterburners to beat him, resulting in a goal.
Markstrom did win us that game,but I guess its the law of averages...Bishop of Dallas,and Schneider of NJD came into Rogers Arena last week, and were impregnable...We were due.

Reactions: nucks88

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
if only we hadn't tanked as hard keller would have fallen in our laps.

Yeah the team really fell apart after Hamhuis and Vrbata were traded at the deadline and we gave responsibility to the young players on the youngest roster in the league. Damn rebuild!

old ted

Jul 29, 2016
Surprised no cup contending team had 2 million to grab Vanek. Guy has looked great since he joined the team... this game we're seeing dominant Vanek when he was in Buffalo.

If we make the playoffs good to have him.. if not good for trade bait.

Hopefully trade him. I remember his disappearing act in Montreal in the playoffs. useless.

old ted

Jul 29, 2016
I haven't read back, but that's ridiculous if people are doing that!
Hasnt played an NHL game since last season, missed camp... ridiculous.
I dislike the guy... but he di well tonight and was solid on the PK and his role... no qualms about his game.

*GOT* Shame! Shame![/QUOTE]

It would be nice if he (Gaunce) hit some one. So many times Nucks were running around stick checking ,or trying, when a timely hit could cause a fLame turnover. Drives me nuts how soft this team is... and has been.
But any win over Calgary is great to see.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Well, what can I say. Ugly defence, but its so dang nice to see us bury the puck for once. And to beat Calgary, well that’s icing on the cake!

Marky was brilliant, had me on my feet a few times with my jaw on the floor.

Horvat was absolutely dominant. He’s showing that he has vision, and is not a one trick pony. Was dangerous all game. To see a man 6’ tall and about 225lbs, skate and handle the puck like that is a thing of beauty. He did Henrik’s bank move behind the net and then a how do you do, another great moment.

Del Zotto, Gagner, Dorsett, and Vanek also with very strong efforts. Vanek has been a great signing, really appreciate watching him play for us now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad