Post-Game Talk: 11/7/17 | Canucks 5 @ Flames 3

Numba9

Oct 3, 2011
New Westminster, BC
Man every time I watch Tkachuk, I don't see what everyone sees in him. He's a good complimentary player nothing more/less.

You are not the only one; I've been saying the exact same thing forever. I just roll my eyes every time someone mentions that he's going to be an elite first line winger. He's basically Boeser with no shot or game breaking ability. He might end up better than Juolevi but I think it will be pretty close in the end.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks had horseshoes up the ying-yang on this one.....third game in four nights.....Canucks were gassed in the first two periods, but recovered some energy in the third......Markstrom stole this one.....continue to be impressed with Pouliot.....kid is looking like a poor-man's Drew Doughty these days.....shabby defense by the Flames....did Sam Bennett even play tonight?.....imagine if it had been Canucks who selected him fourth overall?....fans would be slashing their wrists by now.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Virtanen again seems a little lost. Guy has game breaking upside but how that can be harnessed still remains unrealized and something of mystery.

I'm starting to question how Green is deploying him. I don't see how 7-8 minutes a night is helpful to his development. It is even more questionable when Guance comes in cold and immediately gets 16 minutes of ice time.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
We didn't deserve that. But winning the games you don't deserve is a good thing. Steal points from a division rival. Feels good. On to the next!

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I hate to be that guy, but with so much going on in the world and depression at an all time high and suicides .... couldn’t we use a different hyperbole ?

Canucks had horseshoes up the ying-yang on this one.....third game in four nights.....Canucks were gassed in the first two periods, but recovered some energy in the third......Markstrom stole this one.....continue to be impressed with Pouliot.....kid is looking like a poor-man's Drew Doughty these days.....shabby defense by the Flames....did Sam Bennett even play tonight?.....imagine if it had been Canucks who selected him fourth overall?....fans would be slashing their wrists by now.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Pouliot was our best defender tonight. Unfortunately this speaks more about how crappy everyone else was, rather to how good Pouliot was.

Lucky to get away with one tonight. Glad to see we didn’t give up. On to Cali!!!
Probably was best dman vs Detriot as well. They tried him with a new partner tonight which is good. Biega is a perfect 7 th dman but wears down with use. Pouliot is not a world beater but he is a very good passer and his shot is better than most other dmen on the team. If we could replace Guddy and Biega with Edler and Stecher it would be large improvement. My hope is Edler comes in for Biega. Guddy improves and is traded when Stecher comes back. Guddy is wanted by other teams he is not a good player for us.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Green has his guys. It’s not gonna change. Mike Del Zotto plays like 25 minutes a night, in every situation, wears an “A” etc. He’s a Green guy, Sedins / JV are not.

Just the way it is.

I'm starting to question how Green is deploying him. I don't see how 7-8 minutes a night is helpful to his development. It is even more questionable when Guance comes in cold and immediately gets 16 minutes of ice time.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
I hate to be that guy, but with so much going on in the world and depression at an all time high and suicides .... couldn’t we use a different hyperbole ?
What makes you think depression is at an all time high? Awareness likely is. I think if you were just measuring this board you may be right. I like colourful language lets just let everyone use the sayings they feel comfortable with as long as it is not one of the ist's or ic's. like racist or homophobic.

Britton

Nov 28, 2008
What makes you think depression is at an all time high? Awareness likely is. I think if you were just measuring this board you may be right. I like colourful language lets just let everyone use the sayings they feel comfortable with as long as it is not one of the ist's or ic's. like racist or homophobic.

Well suicide rates are the highest they've ever been so I'd say that's a pretty good indicator that depression is higher than normal and isn't something to joke about.

Reactions: Johnny Canucker

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
my take on the game

the team sagged again but again stayed in the game and this time stole the points.

markstrom is playing great
horvat is playing great
pouliot is playing great based on expectations and it would be a shame to take him out of the lineup.
sutter played well
vanek played opportunistically well
gagner was good in short spurts, which is an improvement for him
sedins were themselves as they are today
nobody else had legs but everybody was somewhat game

they are due for a blow out. hopefully they bounce back / recharge before it happens.

virtanen needs to do other things with other hockey players
gaunce was adequate but he needs to show a lot more. green is going to give him a chance.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Well suicide rates are the highest they've ever been so I'd say that's a pretty good indicator that depression is higher than normal and isn't something to joke about.

sorry what? i am not aware of suicides being at a high right now.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
i just saw the highlights. was daniel really skating as fast at he looked on the 2-on-1?

It was a burst of speed for sure, the twins definitely can't do that on a consistent basis anymore.

What's weirder was that SHG by Dorsett. Brodie got out-skated by Sutter of all people, lol.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Yes team did have luck. Think Biega is coming back down hard from earlier level. I do not want to see Gaunce play that much ever. I guess he is great at practice as Green really trusts him in all situations. I thought the pk with him and Horvat was terrible. His 2 on 1 shot was a good idea if it was a 2 on 2 play. He is good at clearing the zone, positionally sound and is a big body. However the difference between him and Virtanen in getting to loose pucks is huge. I do not see why Virtanen could not be trained for Gaunces spot on the shutdown line. His skating is a plus rather than a negative. I fear Virtanen will sit for this low event player. Hope Gaunce develops more flow but I do not see it. He is a more responsible Vanek without his puck skill.
It's starting to look like Virtanen was just a placeholder on the fourth line until Guance got back. Green's obvious comfort level with the way Guance works in practice and in game is threatening to give me a serious bilious attack. I swear to God if the fridge bumps Virtanen out of his spot I'm driving the f***ing tankwagon across the finish line this year.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Not sure why everyone's being so hard on Gaunce, anyone coming off a long term injury will take a bit to get going

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
After a depressing day a win against the Flames helps a little, even though we played like garbage.

Interesting that Biega got paired with Del Zotto, hopefully it means RealGud comes out when Edler returns this week

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Sedins with goals in 2 straight games after a great game versus NJ. Maybe they are catching their legs? I didn't actually catch the game tonight so I might be way off base here. I just think that they will slowly start to get used to their new role and play a lot better than they have so far.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Nice result considering the high quality chances against. Nice to see some of the weaker players this season step up in this one

Report Card
A
Bo Horvat - Best player on the ice along with Gaudreau tonight. Bo's feeling it right now
Jacob Markstrom- Some incredible saves to keep this one close when we needed it. Was cat like quick moving side to side
B
Sam Gagner- Best game by far. Early goal injected some much needed confidence and hop
Ben Hutton- Skated miles and picked up a couple apples
Thomas Vanek- guy can just flat out score. Just love the confidence and clapper
C+
Daniel Sedin- Didn't think they would be good on the back to back but they were. Nice wheels and feed on the 2 on 1
Henrik Sedin- same
Sven Baertschi- was a nice workmanlike game
Michael Del Zotto- probably nice to get away from Gudbranson. Decent game
Brandon Sutter- Bounce back game. tremendous effort on the Dorsett goal
Derek Dorsett- 7th goal? wow. just keeps working away and getting rewarded. Still playing too much
Alex Biega- had a few gaffs but battled hard and had jump
C
Chris Tanev- not a bad game overall but struggled along the walls and handed Ferland the wraparound goal
Brock Boeser- worst game to date.
Alex Burmistrov- played a decent game nothing to get excited about
Derrick Pouliot- his confidence on the transition and offensively continues to grow. too many turnovers
Jake Virtanen- was decent. Needs to play more. Nice try on the rush
Eric Gudbranson- was ok. The last 3 out of 5 terrible games has me losing any trust in this player.
Brendan Gaunce- Lots of effort and good defensive mucking. Looks hopeless offensively. i don't see it with this guy

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2